Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

RIP Virgil

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Serial pillist is a fan of the Dibiase podcast and wants content.

TheSSNintendo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had only one interaction with him, and that was at the NYC WrestleCon a few years ago. I walked by him and he started pestering me about my WWE Encyclopedia, only for him to open it up and show me that his entry was next to Vince.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Virgil once signed a picture for me three times at the same appearance in 2001. He spelled my name wrong all three times even with me spelling it out for him. This was before "lonely Virgil" was a meme and I'm convinced he did it on purpose to keep me at this table. RIP Virgil

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
So Virgil was about to turn 40 when he did the Dibiase split.

Black don't crack!
If he was born in 62 he would've been around 29. So about 11 years from 40. I know wikipedia has him born 10 years earlier, but all reports are he died at 61.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
He’s trying to sell his old 8x10s and t-shirts to Ole Anderson at St Peter’s gate.
Jones’ sister, Toni, called Charles this morning about her brother’s passing. Charles arrived at the hospital later early today, to meet up with Toni, and her son and daughter. Toni, 74, was two years older than her brother, who was born April 7, 1951.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The perfect kayfabe ending was Dibiase eventually turns himself around and finds God while Virgil, now lured back into the world of fighting, winds up all fucked up and alone. This is a work bro.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn he was 48 years old when he was feuding with Stevie Ray in 1999

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How stumbly and uncoordinated he looked makes a lot more sense now knowing that he was in his late 40s wrestling in oversized Tommy Hilfiger jeans
I love WCW.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Dutch talked about seeing Virgil at Cons with his gimmick table and no one in line....

Then a few mins later Dutch claimed Virgil walked through a crowd at one Con and you could hear the whole room buzzing that a big name had arrived. Then perhaps realizing his current bullshit he was making up didn't jive with his earlier story, Dutch added - but despite the buzz, no one would go over to the table.
--
James (Dutch's host) mentioned that Kama was supposed to be the next NWO member when Virgil got the gig, and Kama never got a contract.
I'm kind of surprised Kama wasn't just under WWF contract awaiting a new gimmick.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised Kama wasn't just under WWF contract awaiting a new gimmick.
Kama was definitely not under contract from early ‘96 until mid ‘97. He did a few shots for his hometown indie—-the NWC!
Allegedly, one of the reasons that Virgil was so unpopular with a lot of the boys is because he heard about Kama’s deal with WCW to be the 5th member of the nWo then reached out to WCW, offering to work for half as much as they were offering Kama.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, Kama confirmed in an interview that Virgil offered to do the nWo gig for less money so he wound up getting the role. Smart for WCW, bad for Vincent.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s also a faux pas to offer to do the same job for less in wrestling (or stand up or probably most performance related/high visibility non union jobs)

@BruiserBrody gets ready to thrown package of Great Value paper towels at my head for rambling about overdue need for unions in pro wrestling and stand up comedy.