Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Saturday Night Live: Season 49 (Lorne’s penultimate season?)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Show’s bookers have the same problem they have had since Tina Fey became head writer in the ‘00s. They are picking more based on who will generate the most buzz/online discourse rather than who’s the best fit for hosting.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I wonder if they have any stinging material about Sydney Sweeney's breast size this week.
Survey says.... yes. Anyone willing to stay up til 11:59 Central got their money's worth though.

Not as heavy handed (heh) as the Pam Anderson hosting gig from 97 when 2 skits were based around her tits and Pam got "naked" for her monologue.

Actually, looking at Peacock it looks like 3 of Pam's skits aren't even online.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Peacock have clipped versions of SNL's. I wrote here months back about all of Bob Saget's best skits from 1995 being cut for the 'Cock.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
All I remember from the Saget episode is the Boys 2 Men bit where the song was at double speed, and there wasn’t really have anything funny about it, and the Spade video store sketch where Bob had some joke about taking installment payments over candy or something that landed like a thud.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'd pay more if they had at least had an hour+ cut of every show from 1980-2000. There's a ton of stuff I haven't seen for myself yet or haven't seen in decades both in terms of sketches and musical guests that I'd love the chance to see.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Peacock have clipped versions of SNL's. I wrote here months back about all of Bob Saget's best skits from 1995 being cut for the 'Cock.
I can’t even suggest the Archive.org anymore since Broadway Video had all of the unedited episodes ripped down.

Some of the Peacock(previously Netflix) versions are only 15-30 minutes long, which makes me wonder why even bother at all?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Because it's better than nothing. The edits, I think, are the same as the SeeSo versions back when that existed, and it's seriously better for me in terms of marathoning to have those than nothing. But it isn't like they can't throw money at stuff or dub music in certain instances (it's very unfortunate but I would sacrifice Kraftwerk for a soundalike if we can get Sprockets back up, for instance). Use the Comedy Central cuts, maybe.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last night's show was pretty rough. I don't think there's been a legit good show since the holiday break ended. I thought the season started pretty great for the most part but it's cratered out big time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like next episode with Josh Brolin will determine if this season/cast is “troubled”.

They do kind of remind me of the aforementioned Tina Fey early-mid ‘00s casts. Lot of individual talent but collectively, they seem like theater kids trying too hard to show off sometimes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lorne fighting gay activists to protect Sharon Stone is quite the indelible mental image.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Has anyone seen Belushi? Where's Belushi?!"
*cuts to whoever's playing John Belushi fucking some random woman in a janitorial supply closet; a huge coke booger visibly hanging from one of his nostrils*

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Gosling broke more than any host I can remember in recent memory.

The Beavis and Butthead sketch almost shouldn’t count. Kennan was the only one that could keep it together.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nate Bargatze episode was really good.

Unforeseen consequence of the death of the studio comedy. Not enough Adam Sandler movies for Rob Schneider to make a living on so he has to do the conservative comedy racket.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I used to not mind Maya Rudolph. I just never want to see her again at this point.
I think she has talent, but she thinks singing in a over the manner is funny and that's usually all she does. I much prefer Tina, Amy, Molly, Ana Gasteyer, and Rachel Dratch as far as the female talent from that era. Fuck it, I like Cheri Oteri better. I do prefer Maya to a lot of the male cast from the 00-04 era though tbh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I prefer Maya outside of SNL cause she doesn’t break out into song all the time.

I think on SNL, she kind of set the template for Kristen Wiig and Kate MacKinnon. They are all very good sketch comedy actresses that for some reason, SNL really liked to constantly play up their most annoying attributes. Not just a female thing. It is 21st century SNL thing. Fred Armisen and Jimmy Fallon (and even Kenan to a lesser extent) have been guilty of it too.