Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's Edgar Wright. Shaun of the Dead. Hot Fuzz. Both hilarious and awesome movies. That's all I needed to know to want to see this.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
Kilometers Davis said:
You take away the Subspace, you might as well take away the Seven evil exes plot too.

Not really. The Seven Evil Exes are the basis of the plot. The Subspace is just a pointless way to move along plot when he couldn't think of anything else.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Having never heard of the books, the trailer for this before the A-team made my eyes roll, while my geekier buddy was jazzed. I'll take the pass as I don't read fictional books generally and nothing in the trailer made me want to learn more about this tale.

/not trolling, just my $.002

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brandon Routh in the terrible blonde wig as Todd is tremendous.

blade2kxx

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just bumping this up since the movie is out and I bet many of us have seen it.

My thoughts are pretty much of the NERDGASM variation, so I'll save the gushing and say that it's the most visually intense and bizzare mainstream film to come out of Hollywood in a long time and Edgar Wright is the man. Acting was good across the board, kudos to Culkin, Evans, Wong, and Routh for stepping up to steal the show.

****1/2 out of *****

LPM

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How did it compare to the books? I just saw it and loved it. I'm interested in picking up the books now. In the movie the music played such a big part, I wonder how that translated in text.

I flipped my shit when Mayonegg showed up. Did they make a 'her' joke with that? If not, they should have.

blade2kxx

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Everything is fairly similar, except for some extra characters and plot that was in the books, right up until the
Twins

Then, things in the movie get different, but that's to be expected since Book 6 was being written when production of the movie began.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Fucking solid, solid, SOLID movie. Easily the most fun I've had in a theater in a long time.

I saw The Expendables Friday night and loved it, Scott Pilgrim Saturday afternoon and loved it, and I'd be totally willing to go back out and see either one again.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with all of the praise. I don't know what else I could say. It was pretty cool to see all of this shit from my city on the big screen - and not in a Resident Evil 2 filmed in Toronto, but it's not really Toronto it's Raccoon City, way either. ;)

Culkin really stole the show, IMO - easily the more talented brother, that's for sure.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
This was a very enjoyable movie and one of the most original and innovaive ideas for a movie ever. The throwback references to old NES video games (The Zelda sounds at the beginning) were great and everything from the imaginative fight scenes to the editing were spot on. I also loved when
Cera headBUTTed Brandon Routh to oblivion and when Ramona started blinking red at the end when she was hit signifying that her life bar's running out

The acting was pretty spot on too with Culkin and Wong stealing the show.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Edgar Wright personally wrote a letter to Nintendo in which he stated the Zelda theme was the lullaby of a generation in order to get it cleared for use in the movie.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this with a nerd tonight. I don't think my usual movie companion would understand why enemies dropping coins or Zelda music / sound effects playing are awesome things.

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really sad this has bombed so bad. Probably has to do with people getting fed up with Cera. It really looked like it was going to be him playing the exact same character again. That being said, I still think he was the best guy for the role.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Shooting Star said:
Really sad this has bombed so bad. Probably has to do with people getting fed up with Cera. It really looked like it was going to be him playing the exact same character again. That being said, I still think he was the best guy for the role.

Besides Cera, this movie was really made for a niche audience. I don't think anyone who hasn't read the comic really wanted to see this badly. A lot of times movies like this don't do that well.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Canadian Destroyer213 said:
Shooting Star said:

Besides Cera, this movie was really made for a niche audience. I don't think anyone who hasn't read the comic really wanted to see this badly. A lot of times movies like this don't do that well.

Eh, I think your wrong. It's not that it's made for a niche audience; it's not. The movie has a lot more appeal than just Scott Pilgrim fans, considering I saw it without ever reading a single comic. The problem is that people think it'll only appeal to a small crowd. And the bigger niche people probably assume it's a kids movie because there is a lot of video game imagery and such.

And I really loved it. Great action, great characters, great jokes. Only real problem is that I never felt Ramona was particularly special. The bigger problem is probably that Emily Wong completely over shadowed anyone on screen.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We saw it a second time on Saturday just for the hell of it and still loved it. I agree that Ellen Wong was great and totally overshadowed most of the other actors. In a good way, for her, though. I think she's going to get a ton of work based off of her performance in this movie.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I was surprised that the girl who played Ramona was also in Sky High.

...random observation, yes, but Sky High is an underrated flick.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Tuxedo Venkman said:
I'm glad I saw this with a nerd tonight. I don't think my usual movie companion would understand why enemies dropping coins or Zelda music / sound effects playing are awesome things.

With that said, she still enjoyed it on it's own merits when I saw it again on Monday. I liked seeing it again knowing Knives was important - outside of some friends in TO telling me, "Dude, the comic is sweet and it takes place in TO! Video game references too bro, you'll love the movie!" way back in May, I only knew what the trailer told me. The trailer told me nothing about Knives Chau, therefore when I see her introduced in the movie I just assumed she would be a throw away character until Ramona came along. As such, I don't think I gave much care to her character the first go round (though I still thought she was great).

Also played a bit of the game off XBLA before work - right off the bat the game starts with a "Winners Don't Eat Meat" start-up screen with the Vegan Police seal.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Corey_Lazarus said:

I love how everyone remembers her in Sky High, but forgets shes John McClain's daughter.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Corey_Lazarus said:

I love how everyone remembers her in Sky High, but forgets shes John McClain's daughter.

That's because Sky High was awesome, and Live Free or Die Hard wasn't.

blade2kxx

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Canadian Destroyer213 said:
Sabre said:
Corey_Lazarus said:

That's because Sky High was awesome, and Live Free or Die Hard wasn't.

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McAeQiLmEYU&feature=related[/flash]

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Tuxedo Venkman said:
LFoDH had a motorcycle blowing up a helicopter. Best popcorn movie of 2007, probably.

It had good stunts and was enjoyable at the time, but I have no interest in seeing it again, at least for the time being. I love the series, but this one really didn't feel like a Die Hard movie to me. I don't hate it, but it's kind of middle of the road for me. Probably my least favorite of the series.