Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Strange Wrestling (IRL) Feuds

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Corgan just burying himself by saying he still can't get the 75 year old company to draw while shit talking stuff that does but doesn't like is wrestling.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Like, Corgan isn't wrong that the talent working strictly to pander to "OMG 18NSTARS" types (especially Meltzer) are annoying...but the guy booking one of the lamest fucking products out there today isn't one to talk shit about anyone else in the business.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't enjoy the "I'm just here to have a great match and get 5 stars" type guys but I don't think its very common in aew/wwe/njpw outside of a handful of guys I wouldn't like anyway. those types have always been a problem though and I don't think Dave has anywhere near the influence people act like he does (including myself when I get annoyed at him) on most wrestlers.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I don't enjoy the "I'm just here to have a great match and get 5 stars" type guys but I don't think its very common in aew/wwe/njpw outside of a handful of guys I wouldn't like anyway. those types have always been a problem though and I don't think Dave has anywhere near the influence people act like he does (including myself when I get annoyed at him) on most wrestlers.
Wait, I don't think I'm parsing this sentence correctly: guys who don't care about anything but having good matches are.. bad? Or are you making some kind of delineation between guys who have good matches and guys who are "just here to have a great match and get 5 stars"? And, if so, what's the difference?

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Wait, I don't think I'm parsing this sentence correctly: guys who don't care about anything but having good matches are.. bad? Or are you making some kind of delineation between guys who have good matches and guys who are "just here to have a great match and get 5 stars"? And, if so, what's the difference?
There's been a distinct shift in the last 20ish years (really since the IWC grew along with the indie boom) of talents who are overtly working toward a generic "5-star" match. They're the equivalent of Oscar bait movies. And it seems like they've become an even bigger portion of active workers since Meltzer invalidated his own rating system with the bevy of 6/7/etc. star matches.

They may not be bad, per se, but there's more of a focus on tropes that "great matches" have instead of building the matches around the programs and characters. Case in point: how many matches do you see in a given week with the standard "your turn/my turn" strike exchange?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Case in point: how many matches do you see in a given week with the standard "your turn/my turn" strike exchange?
Entirely too many, but since I don't pay any attention to guys like Meltzer, I don't have any sense of what their respective grading rubrics are, so I'm not familiar with the "5-star bait" tropes. It's legitimately never crossed my mind that the guys actively doing that stuff were actually "trying to have 5-star matches." I don't know if my brain ever put them in any category, but it definitely didn't try to put them in that one.

Valeyard

Reaction score
There's a big difference between, say, what Bryan and Christian just had and what Cole and Gargano did in NXT.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean RVD had the gimmick of guy who brags about being in really well reviewed matches twenty five years ago. Wrestlers being overly conscientious of how their matches are reviewed has definitely gotten worse in the past decade but it's not exactly a recent phenomenon.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
You know who deserves more blame than Meltz? Useless Moron Scott Keith. I'm not really joking. You had to pay for Meltz who also gave out news. Literally all that tub of guts does is rate matches for free and is in contact with bunches of people over the years

Valeyard

Reaction score
They'd just have five moves of doom

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I mean RVD had the gimmick of guy who brags about being in really well reviewed matches twenty five years ago. Wrestlers being overly conscientious of how their matches are reviewed has definitely gotten worse in the past decade but it's not exactly a recent phenomenon.
RVD started bragging about that to push his arrogance as a gimmick, though, right down to adding unnecessary flips and twists to things in order to amplify the "I'm that much better than you" gimmick. There are workers who legitimately cut promos referencing critical acclaim and mean it now, though. I've said it before, but Tony Soprano never told Big Pussy "this decision is going to get us all kinds of Emmy nods," and a wrestler, whose entire schtick is supposed to be "this is real to me" when in character, shouldn't be giving a fuck about star ratings.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
All a cinematic match does is expose how shit most wrestlers are at acting and stunt work. Please let me know which companies are focusing on these so I can avoid them.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
SRS and O'Shea Jackson Jr. are getting in a tussle on Twitter. Jackson has surprisingly thin skin for being the son of one of the hardest rappers ever.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
When photographs are $30 apiece, can you imagine what talent charges for conversation?!

I looked at Wrestlecon but when you've got a $40 admission to go into an event to pay $50 for an auto/photo each individual person...there's just more productive ways to spend my time and money.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
You named exactly why I trend to stay away from cons in general. A big reason is the financial side. If you charge a steep admission fee and everything is included? I'd be down for that. Asking me to pay for admission on top of paying individual performers for pics, autos, and merch (some being upwards of $200-$300?). It's not right for me.

I get that this is how these guys and gals make their money and they certainly don't have problems selling tickets but it's not my scene.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It took her less than 24 hours after dweebs on the internet attacked her and now has walked back her comments and say she loves Tiff and she’s just working her character.