Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The inverse thread: Bad workers having good matches with each other

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Since the other thread idea was really interesting to me and provided some great examples, I wanted to see if we could list some surprisingly good matches between not-so-great workers.

Test vs Shane McMahon at Summerslam 1999, maybe. Test was competent for a big man, and Shane is a nice bump machine, but that match rocked.

I always go back to this.. but Kane vs Albert for the IC title on a Smackdown in 2001 was 3 1/2 stars to me.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some will argue how much of great workers they really are, but:

Hogan/Warrior?

Also, 96 Undertaker vs. Diesel at Mania XII I find more enjoyable than the Iron Man Match.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is incredible to look back at Pre-Mania 12 Taker in comparison to the one who just has fantastic matches with everyone now.

Also...I don't think Festus is a bad worker.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was there for Kane v. Albert. Albert winning the I-C title got quite the WTF pop

Silence

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:
Also...I don't think Festus is a bad worker.

True, but I don't know if anyone expected a good match with him facing Koslov, who is a bad worker.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Kozlov ain't bad... just extremely limited. If it ain't a squash or a short slugfest then the guy falls apart.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:
It is incredible to look back at Pre-Mania 12 Taker in comparison to the one who just has fantastic matches with everyone now.

Yeah, outside of his matches with Diesel and Bret Hart, I don't think we really saw what he could do until Mick Foley came along shortly after WM12.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know. Taker had some good matches in his "Mean" Mark Callous days. I think the reason why he sucked so much pre WrestleMania XII was the piss poor quality of his opponents. Really- who did he feud with from '90 to '95 that was a good worker? Not saying that he hasn't improved immensely in the past few years...just thought I'd point that out.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I meant more that his gimmick forced him to have the same shitty match over and over and over again for years. And now he doesn't.

samoarowe

samoarowe
Reaction score
Goldberg and broken down Scott Steiner had a very entertaining match at Fall Brawl 2000.

Hell, I remember thinking an Erik Watts/Don Callis match in TNA in 2003 was way more entertaining than it should have been as well. It was overbooked Russo bullshit, yet it clicked for me on that particular night. I have a feeling it wouldn't hold up if I watched it today though.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Paul Heyman makes it sound like Beulah vs. Fonzie is one of the all time great ECW matches. I don't agree, but it's probably better than it had any right to be.

I recall the Lita (who was very hit and miss) vs. Stephanie McMahon (who was Stephanie McMahon) match for the Women's Title that main evneted a Summer 2000 Raw actually being pretty good. Pre-good worker Trish vs. Stephanie at No Way Out 2001 was also good.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
I recall the Lita (who was very hit and miss) vs. Stephanie McMahon (who was Stephanie McMahon) match for the Women's Title that main evneted a Summer 2000 Raw actually being pretty good. Pre-good worker Trish vs. Stephanie at No Way Out 2001 was also good.
Both of these, with the former for getting a great "thank GOD!" pop from the crowd. The latter, even at the time as a 17 year old semi-mark, had me going "holy crap, this is actually a pretty damn good match." I'm glad it got some love here.