Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Meltzer Thread

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow at a ladder match with one spot getting liked that much. The six man on night two wasn’t much worse than the Andrade tag on night one which is super overrated too. He’s playing favorites again with underrating and overrating stuff.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
That ladder match was everything I hate about WWE ladder matches: too many people, tired spots, tons of setup, announcers losing their mind of the same spot they've seen a dozen times already. I couldn't finish it.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I understand they were trying to get their future stars and established vets onto the show but 12 people is way too much for a ladder match.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That ladder match was everything I hate about WWE ladder matches: too many people, tired spots, tons of setup, announcers losing their mind of the same spot they've seen a dozen times already. I couldn't finish it.
See, I thought it was one of the best WWE ladder matches in a long time, and it's because there wasn't any major down time. Something was always happening, people were working even when they weren't in the spotlight, and the big "break the ladder" spot didn't feel especially contrived (plus, it was a 3 Stooges kind of spot).

There was a long tenure of every WWE ladder match being "nothing happens unless it's center stage," and more time for obvious set up than delivery. This didn't lean as hard into that as normal, and while it's not a great ladder match (I don't think there's been a truly great one since maybe the Briscoes/Steenerico Ladder War in 2007)? It was fun as hell.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A ladder match for me at this point needs to just be an insane car crash spectacle of idiocy. I've seen nearly everything. I need to be shocked out of my apathy. I don't want anyone to get HURT or anything but I want to go HOLY SHIT IS THAT GUY DEAD? if you're going to put something like that on. I don't want to notice that you're using precut tables and ladders with tape and shit.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Dave Meltzer telling me everything WWE did WrestleMania weekend was worse than the Best Friends-Santana/Ortiz street fight on a pandemic Dynamite is why I can't take any of his ratings seriously.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
A ladder match where it's technical wrestling with guys trying to take out each other's arms and legs so they can't climb or grab with a couple big spots at the end would be nice.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
A ladder match where the belt doesn’t descend from the rafters until 15 minutes into the match could be a fun idea. Test it out on the next ROH show that nobody watches.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Congrats to AJ Styles after 2 decades of being considered one of the top professional wrestlers in the world for finally being worthy of a five star singles match according to Meltzer.

yes you read that right, for some absurd reason the Boneyard Match didn’t get its proper acknowledgment.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that AJ not having a 5 star match before now is dave's most absurd thing but it's not as bad as Bryan not having one before AEW. Extremely close. There is no way that modern Dave watching the exact dame Danielson ROH matches wouldn't be handing out stars like candy.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He also had multiple matches that are absolutely in his “criteria” for that status in WWE but somehow it wasn’t until he got in the ring with Omega, did Dave finally discover who Danielson was.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Dave giving Punk/Joe the full 5 and not any of the Danielson/LowKi, Danielson/Morishima, or Danielson/McGuinness clinics the full 5 is when I realized his ratings didn't matter.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised Dave's rant didn't pick up more steam over the weekend. I will say .Sean Ross .Sapp really seems to want people in wwe to like him

And just as I type that Fightful takes a shot at Dave.