Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

TNA Impact is Pre-Taped/Hung and Bung on 2/11

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
I laughed at Velvelt running to the steps and then FREAKING OUT over how and or whether she could actually climb them, but I think that was more of an excuse for Lacey to nail Angelina like she did than it was Velvet really being that stupid. Though it IS the Beautiful People so it could've been both.

I also cringed when Lacey went up to the top rope and was somewhat amazed she actually did that backflip elbow drop thing. I'm still not sure thats what she ACTUALLY meant to do, but yeah.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
Nigel is great. Christy is not. "Bollocks to that". Couldn't agree more, Nige'.

More Hall and X-Pac, sneaking.

Nigel's long tights have mysteriously disappeared. So has Nigel's valet. Anderson's intro is almost as annoying as he is. Seriously tempted to skip this match altogether. Sticking around for Nigel and Kurt. There's no way Kurt is 240lbs, btw. Surely. Why are the teams in the bottom left and top right corners, instead of top left bottom right like normal? Another unimportant thing that I feel like bringing up. Looks weird. Not a bad match. Lots of "tag partners who don't get along" fun, which I can't help feeling I've seen done before. A couple of times. At least these four are supposed to not get along and aren't regular teams fighting.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
AJ/Joe segment is good stuff. AJ actually fit in here. First time I've come close to caring about Samoa Joe in seemingly forever too. Still not sure if I'm completely there yet. But close is better than not at all, so way to go Joe. Flair telling people to shut up will never get old. I actually want to see Joe versus Flair now. I'm not sure I'd want to see it once the bell rung however.

And then Bischoff has to kill off any interest I had in AJ/Joe by teasing another screwjob with Bischoff as ref. Way to go, TNA. Way to freaking go.

Apparantly, "complete lockdown" is negated by Hogan simply opening ONE door in the arena. Boy, the amount of trouble he must have gone to with his "complete lockdown". He must have spent a good three hours checking every door in the arena was properly shut... actually, I guess with his gimpy knee, it might have taken three hours. Good job Hulk. We appreciate it! Hall takes literally forever navigating in drunk ass over the guardrail. A thing of absolute beauty. Angle gets beaten down by two wasted old dudes. Hogan does the Scott Hall/Pope walk I mentioned earlier. Hogan SWERVES, saves Angle from the two wasted old dudes. Hogan stands tall to lead into the PPV. BUYS.

FroGG_NeaL

WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
Reaction score
The Bischoff Jarrett shit might have a good payoff. It's got me interested. Pretty much everything on the show has me wondering whats gonna happen next, and i missed that feeling watching wrestling.

Just to make sure, JJ was Russo's Chosen One, and Hulk and Bischoff hate both of them. Is that about it?

LuckyLopez

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like Jarrett when he's not King of the Mountain and I like smarmy Bischoff, so I really have no problem with that story at all. It can go a lot of ways including a really slow burn as Jarrett really does get roadblock after roadblock thrown at him and it doesn't need to be anything more than a midcard story. And as we've seen with Kennedy beating him and him not getting a tournament spot he doesn't even have to win like your usual "face overcoming the odds stacked by heel authority" story. Jarrett could conceivably spend the next 6 months just doing job after job as Bischoff puts him in situations where he can put over some younger wrestler.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First, they took two sides of the ring away. Then, bathroom privileges. What next, you monsters?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mattdotcom said:
First, they took two sides of the ring away. Then, bathroom privileges. What next, you monsters?
You know I had a wrestling toy storyline when I was 8 involving an incontinent Ric Flair. Maybe this is all leading up to that.

FroGG_NeaL

WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
Reaction score
AJ as Flair Jr. is starting to get good. He's even switched up his speech pattern to be more like Naitch's.

Staff member
Reaction score
I won't read the thread because I feel like crap, but um, Pope/Angle is the only logical final. I don't think they'll have Pope lose to Wolfe again. Angle will win the tournament or get screwed, I'm anticipating the latter. Depends how long they want AJ to hold the belt really, Lockdown could be too soon to drop it.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FroGG_NeaL said:
AJ as Flair Jr. is starting to get good. He's even switched up his speech pattern to be more like Naitch's.

I have to admit that I really am loving this angle.

LuckyLopez

Integral Poster
Reaction score
909 said:
I won't read the thread because I feel like crap, but um, Pope/Angle is the only logical final. I don't think they'll have Pope lose to Wolfe again. Angle will win the tournament or get screwed, I'm anticipating the latter. Depends how long they want AJ to hold the belt really, Lockdown could be too soon to drop it.
Lockdown would be a 7 month title run. Granted, only 3 months into his heel run.

I only say that because the fact that AJ has held the belt for 5 months even kind of shocks me.

Staff member
Reaction score
Shocks me too, and perhaps it's too long. But with this angle it needs to be stretched a little longer than two more months.

LuckyLopez

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know if the shock of how long this run has been is a good thing or bad?

Is it good because its not some "reign of terror" we've all grown tired of but rather one with a long string of good and successful title defenses against Sting, Angle, Daniels, and Joe?

Or is it bad because a lot of those defenses feel like one month stories and the title run doesn't have a lot of memorable story to it making it seem a lot shorter than it is?

Or maybe its really neither and its just the result of his title run coming at a time when (a) the Main Event Mafia was breaking up, (b) Hogan was announced and TNA had 2 months of limbo, (c) he turned mid title run which I don't think happens that often, and (d) TNA went about a month from Christmas to mid January with only the Jan 4th show and the Knockouts Special so it ended up really breaking up the run?

Its just so weird to me that if he holds onto the belt on Sunday he'll end up going over half a year with the title and it doesn't feel like that at all.

Staff member
Reaction score
Good, but unexpected. Plus it's actually worth continuing, and with the change to a Flair mentorship it won't get stale for a while.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So is the idea with TNA establishing a heavyweight "ranking system" from the tournament (it was very strange this was pushed hard in the Before the Bell special, and then on Impact, I dont recall them selling it like that at all) a knock at ROH's Pick Six thing? Whatever the case, I like that they are doing this and it would create a decent direction in establishing future contenders en masse during the lag of time from this ppv and Lockdown, while whoever wins the tournament and Styles is built also. I could see them having specific ranking matches on Impact for sure, so conceivably a #5 guy could end up #1 if they beat the top one. I fear they may have already dropped the idea, though. That would be hilarious in itself if that would be the case.

Im assuming Angle must win it, but then again Angle/Styles is something they could pull back on for awhile and come back to it near the middle of the year. If they nix Angle, Foley getting the title shot at Lockdown might be ok, just because they could go back to Flair/Foley stuff again with it to slow build to the title shot for Styles. And since it's a cage match, Foley would likely bump good for Styles and Flair, and would try to put him over good. And soon, one would guess Sting finally shows back up and building to a big title match with Styles/Sting again too and then we finally get Flair/Sting rolling too. So with that said, I expect Styles to hold that belt until at least Bound for Glory, maybe longer if it's still working as well as it is now. And it just seems like things are in place for it to be a lengthy run.

Anyway, that was a pretty fun show last night, the Hogan/Young stuff to start off the show was so off the wall it worked. And as a whole, for a last minute build to a ppv that just felt half-assed on paper just two days ago, they really did alot better than the spoilers made me think it would be in building to the show on Sunday, probably because everything was taped so out of sequence. But obviously there was alot of stuff here too that the spoilers didn't leak at all. Some good, some bad, some ugly....but all entertaining for the most part. As the norm with TNA, they still have plenty of decent comedy on the shows to speak of as well.

That Before the Bell special was real good. If anything, I expect the ppv to certainly be probably booked a little off the wall, hopefully not too off the wall though.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AJ's long title reign has been good because he's been having really good to great matches. The Angle draw, Sting at BFG, the 3 way rematch, vs. Daniels, Angle on 1/4, Angle at Genesis. Even his non-title match vs. Pope was real fun. There's no doubt him vs. Joe is going to be good at AAO. And he gained a character in the midst of it all.

Easily AJ's best title reign. I'd like to see him hold it past Lockdown since his heel character will still be pretty new at that point. Or they could have him lose it to Angle or Pope and win it back quickly in a heelish manner. But AJ as Flair's disciple and growing into the character is THE top story in TNA. So I'd like to see them have the balls to continue it for a BFG payoff. With the Pope getting the hard push to take him down. October seems just about right for Pope if they start giving him wins over the other top guys (which they really should be doing).

That's how I'd fantasy book it anyway.

But who knows what the future holds. You know Flair is going to be wrestling eventually...so it might throw the whole thing off.

FWIW...Flair is fucking awesome as a manager, so even though he wants to wrestle, and TNA would be stupid not to have him wrestle...in my mind he's found his post worker calling.

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
Their viewership might not be rapidly up, but I can see their ppv buys increasing a little at least. The build ups have been fairly decent.

As far as the show's direction goes: It's Russo with an editor. And yeah that may have done wonders for WWE in 1998, but this TNA 2010 and an entirely different playing field. I tend to think the main problem is just Russo. Yeah, he's a million times better restrained, but he's still the same old Russo who refuses to evolve his writing style or admit any mistakes.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
As a person who rarely watched TNA, I'm digging the Hogan era quite a bit.

Hogan's opening promo was so shitty though. Dude's and Brother's for everyone. Kennedy's shtick sucked in 2006 and it sucks now. AJ Styles developing Flair's mannerisms is a nice touch. The last segment almost killed the show for me though.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:
FWIW...Flair is fucking awesome as a manager, so even though he wants to wrestle, and TNA would be stupid not to have him wrestle...in my mind he's found his post worker calling.

Well, yeah. Flair as a manager overshadowed Triple H as a wrestler most of the time. Naitch is a natural.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah but he was HHH's vanity second, he actually does a world of good in the role of manager to guy who needs a manager.

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
bps21 said:
Yeah but he was HHH's vanity second, he actually does a world of good in the role of manager to guy who needs a manager.

I agree with this. I mean, a lot of people were pushing for The Pope to be the new nature boy, but it's not like he needs any help from Flair. AJ does.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm officially going with Angle over Pope as my prediction. I think Pope pins Wolfe and Wolfe injures him post match, then after pulling out a big babyface fluke win on a larger man in the second round, he passes out to the Anklelock in the finals. I have to believe that they want Angle vs. AJ in the cage at Lockdown since the storyline still needs a payoff, and the cage gimmick is supposed to be the cure for the heel screwing over the good guy challenger anyway. If they do it this way, Pope comes out looking great which is just as important in the long term.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Of course now that I thought about the other side I can easily see Angle getting screwed somehow in his match with Hogan's handpicked guy Anderson and everything being thrown off kilter, with Angle having a new guy to feud with and AJ/Angle going on the backburner while AJ has more time to grow into his role.

TOURNAMENTS RULE DAMMIT.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know who excelled in tournaments? You guessed it: Scott Steiner.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ken Anderson is stuck at the airport in Minnesota.

TOURNAMENT MADNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
prayer.jpg

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
bps21 said:
Ken Anderson is stuck at the airport in Minnesota.

TOURNAMENT MADNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Thats so weird he claims he's stuck in the MSP airport when its not even doin shit here for snow/bad weather right now, and if anything, we might get an inch of snow on Sunday morning. But that's it. Hardly enough to cancel/postpone flights up here. All he would have to do is do a transfer flight into another airport and then off to Orlando. If he actually misses the show, I'm sure he will have plenty of heat for not doing something about it so he could end up making it as it sounds like a weaksauce reason.