Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Vintage Independent Wrestling Thread: Discuss the Stars of Today Yesterday When They Were Stars of Tomorrow

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I just know google told me someone named Cucifixio Jones has an instagram full of wrestling shit. Seems like a big coincidence.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I prefer my "mature audiences" entertainment to not require a tetanus shot.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I wonder what Kerry does in 94/95ish had he not killed himself and served his time. USWA for more Lawler fun. WCW to join the WWF 80s reunion. Something dark in ECW. SMW. Most likely a Texas indy darling. Crockett's indy started somewhere in that time frame. Gary Hart and Kevin did World Class 2: The Next Generation in the mid 90s and so on.... Maybe even a WWF New Generation redemption angle as the roster is depleted.
--
Fake edit: I originally typed "had Kerry just bit the bullet and served his time" then the suicide angle hit me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bet he tries to help and revive Dallas until the inevitable late '90s WCW B/C/D show run, where his ceiling is a three way feud with Mongo and Jeff Jarrett.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The epic LowKi/Bryan Danielson match from Round Robin Challenge is on YouTube. One of my coworkers is a wrestling fan, so I sent him the link and said "if this doesn't get you going then we can never talk wrestling again."

I showed him the avalanche Ki Krusher spot and that was it. His jaw dropped.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Should just sent him an Avalanche match and if he liked it, that’s a real friend to have.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I probably shared this before but I'd love to see a video:

June 2, 1990

theJoe Pedicino’s Beach Brawl show was marred by bad weather and drew 160 for a card with a ring on the beach. John Michaels beat Billy Black with falls counting anywhere, and Michaels pinned him in the lake. Joel Deaton and Randy Rose wrestled in an Escape from Alcatraz match, on a small piece of land in the lake, called an island. They started throwing rocks and brawling, and then Tony Zane jumped off a houseboat and swam to the island where they double teamed Rose and pinned him, but pins don’t count. The match ends when someone swims to shore. They both tried to swim to shore and each climbed a lifeguard chair and brawled, until Rose clotheslined Deaton into the lake.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What's Billy Black's story? I've heard in passing over the years he was really good but a total prick and derailed his career but I genuinely know nothing of the guy beyond that he worked Japan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wildside, though, I just associate with both bad production (Turner could've sent them some money for that, too) and the fact Wildside guys pretty much were the backbone of ROH and TNA and thus directly gave us the DNA to where we are now.

It's just funny that the two names I associate with Wildside have always been Styles and Rave, though. Like they made Rave feel on the level of the Styles/Joe/Punk/Daniels/Ki class even though, god bless him, he wasn't there.
Kris Zellner's had a monthly podcast on the Between the Sheets feed with some NWA Wildside guys where they ran down the history of the company a month at a time. By time that NWA Wildside started, WCW was in budget slashing mode and they didn't have the ability to offer that much support beyond sending talent there.

I forgot that the first "breakout" star of NWA Wildside wasn't a WCW guy at all. It was K-Krush, who would go onto become WWE's ageless wonder R Truth!

TIL there was an NWA Wildside reunion show in 2017.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Quite a card here:
sternchen1.png
WWWA Women’s Title Match
Misty Blue
defeated Rusty Thomas (c) - TITLE CHANGE!!!
sternchen1.png
Little Leprechaun defeated Little Ninja​
sternchen1.png
Rick Martel defeated Abdullah the Butcher by disqualification​
sternchen1.png
Jim Messenger and Derek Domino defeated Ax and Blast by disqualification​
sternchen1.png
Tito Santana defeated Sid Vicious by disqualification​
sternchen1.png
Jack Hammer defeated Jim Neidhart by disqualification​
sternchen1.png
WWWA Heavyweight Title Match
Brutus Beefcake
defeated Nailz (c) - TITLE CHANGE!!!

10 years earlier Abby/Martel is a Montreal headliner. Post Model and old Abby however....
Tito trying to carry Sid.
Nailz/Beefer with almost no chance of being good.
Plus Johnny Gunn vs frequent Apter results star Kaluha
Neidhart vs the PWI 500 standout Jack Hammer
Plus women and midgets

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Hawk and Animal dump Ellering as they "didn't need a manager". Ole or whoever was booking didn't run with this for long as Ellering would rejoin them and added Spoiler, Bundy and Jake the Snake to the mix. That too didn't last long and Bundy ended up turning face. (He and Masked Superstar beat the Warriors for the National Tag titles, which was a waste as Eadie went to Japan right after so they were stripped and the Roadies won a tourney to get them right back.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
POWW (David McClaine's GLOW follow up) actually booked Philly's Vet Stadium in Sept 87. WTF. When the limited fans who bought tickets arrived, a hand written note was at the box offices announcing the show was canceled. The athletic commission got involved to investigate.

It was going to be a 15 match TV taping.

He had told the local press he was planning on running monthly. He did run MSG's Forum the next month.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Always been a big fan of how POWW meant Powerful Women of Wrestling. McClaine gets it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Man we could've been watching a video of a guy working an armbar right now.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That was peak CZW. There are better COD matches (Callihan/Havoc is still one of the most beautiful gorefests ever), sure, but CZW hit a real stride when they balanced ultraviolence with straightforward "extreme" stuff. Too bad Zandig gonna Zandig, fired his head booker because the shows weren't violent enough, and saw the fans start to leave once the best talents took off for ROH anyway.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score