Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WCCW TV

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Irwin was a big pusher of the "he ate steak until he burst" narrative when it came up, which is by far the worst one (I'm lumping it in with the bad sushi). At least the Road Warrior kick sounded plausible on its face.

I haven't read it in many years but I remember Meltz debunking it as steakhouse they claimed to go to didn't exist. I gotta find that again.

My dissatisfaction with The Iron Claw has me going down rabbitholes again.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

WCCW was still somewhat riding the crest from their 1983 hot period at this point. With the Chris Adams/Kevin Von Erich feud now hitting it’s ninth month, this feels like the show where a big blow off should occur so the Von Erichs can move on to other issues.

Ric Flair had been coming in fairly frequently to defend the NWA title at this point yet, so a main event of Kevin Von Erich vs. Flair does not strike me as one that needed a stadium venue. The allure of a World title change no doubt had to play a part in drawing in the fans though after Kerry’s momentous night at this event last year.

The real appeal of the evening may have been the novelty of the Von Erichs teaming up as a trio with all 3 Freebirds for what I believe is the first time ever. They were set to face Ric Flair, Chris Adams, Gino Hernandez, Dr. Death, Kamala and the One Man Gang in a best of five falls dream match. The faces were comprised of six men who weren’t quite sure they could trust the others after their long and violent feud. The heels also had combustible factors since Gary Hart and Chris Adams split up several months earlier, leaving some heavy tension in the air.

Add to that mix several grudge matches and suddenly the card drawing 26,000 to Texas Stadium doesn’t seem too surprising.