Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Worst Matches Ever Candidates?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It absolutely is about execution. Lesnar made the repeated suplexes make perfect sense in the context of the match. Steiner just looked like he was in a crappy wrestling video game.

I'm not sure what it was about Steiner's second WWE run that made him so horrible. Nagging injuries maybe? He was just as washed up in his second run of WCW and more washed up in his TNA runs but somehow, in those companies, he did relatively competent matches. In WWE, he just looked like a clumsy doofus.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Things like 2004 Scott Steiner are reasons why the WWE might want to put some kind of physical conditioning language into their contracts, especially with older/big name talent. If a guy can't go more than a couple minutes without sucking wind & forgetting every spot save 1 shitty suplex, don't sign them for main event money.

He was never going to be 1991 Scott Steiner again. But he could've been a solid midcarder and/or tag team worker for WWE for a decade or so.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Warrior/Hogan match at "Halloween Havok 98" always stuck out to me as awful. Everything about it was atrocious, and even the moments someone might mention that were unintentionally funny (the botched fire spot) are painful to watch.

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Taker vs Hogan at, I want to say Judgement Day 2002 has to be right up there in terms of worst PPV main event matches. This was at the time Hulkster was getting insane pops left and right every week but even the nostalgia couldn't help out this match. By the time Brock destroyed Hogan 3 months later, I was rooting for the Next Big Thing even at 12 years old.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shooting Star said:
Taker vs Hogan at, I want to say Judgement Day 2002 has to be right up there in terms of worst PPV main event matches. This was at the time Hulkster was getting insane pops left and right every week but even the nostalgia couldn't help out this match. By the time Brock destroyed Hogan 3 months later, I was rooting for the Next Big Thing even at 12 years old.

That was the middle of a three PPV streak of absolutely dreadful Taker matches.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember the chokeslam that ended the Hogan match. One of Hogan's feet didn't even leave the ground. 'Taker looked pissed.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How about WCW's short lived attempt to start a women's division by having some of the Nitro Girls wrestle in marches on Nitro? I remember one horrible match with Tigress in it. At least I think that was her name.

Ed Wood Caulfield

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
Shooting Star said:

Undertaker and Triple H had a match at King Of The Ring 2002 that really WAS them lying on the mat for an unusual amount of time. The people who complained about the WrestleMania XXVII match clearly haven't seen this match!

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Success Portrait John Cena said:
Kahran Ramsus said:
Shooting Star said:

Undertaker and Triple H had a match at King Of The Ring 2002 that really WAS them lying on the mat for an unusual amount of time. The people who complained about the WrestleMania XXVII match clearly haven't seen this match!
I was at that show and my buddy remarked when Taker hit the snake eyes/high knee combo at about the six year mark "wow, something resembling a pop from the crowd".

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I remember that as the first time I questioned my HHH fandom. I also still hate their WM27 match more than it because it was at WrestleMania.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
SkyWalkers match with Midnight Express vs. Road Warriors has a mythos about it but its horrible. A LONG LONG stall job by the Express. Some tedious "brawling". Then 3 nasty bumps (Corny included) to end the mess.

I seem to recall a MOD Taker vs Rock match being horrid during the time when Taker was working injured to make some cash during the BOOM period in 99.

There's also an AWA 1984 match on youtube with Billy Robinson vs KK Bundy that is the very definition of a styles clash.

There used to be a Studd/Andre match on youtube that had a 8-12 minute front facelock.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Brodypedia said:
I seem to recall a MOD Taker vs Rock match being horrid during the time when Taker was working injured to make some cash during the BOOM period in 99.

I think you may be referring to their KOTR 99 bout, which gets overlooked due to the previously mentioned Kane-Big Show on the same card. This match probably went double the length.

Deadman really had some stinkers at KOTR.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's the WORST matches thread.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mentioned this in the Wrestlemania thread, but I sincerely am considering Vince vs Pat McAfee from Wrestlemania 38 for this sort of topic. It's 4 minutes but felt 40, was incredibly pathetic to watch, and it accomplished nothing except to stroke Vince's ego. McAfee bumping for a 76 year old man like it was death was way more business exposing than Shawn vs Hogan at Summerslam.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Vince reacting to Theory's music thinking it was Stone Cold's was the best part.