Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WrestleMania Rewatch Thread 2024

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am assuming he has a rosier version of the show since it’s when he came back and the first WM where two guys he signed main evented but it is fun to imagine that being his reaction.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I hate JR's cadence and JRisms too much to listen to him more than I need to but I'm slightly curious. Technically he called the whole show, just most of it through a puppet.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He would've gotten out to the booth sooner but he got a finger caught in some fence.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I feel weird watching that, or Hogan/Andre, without watching the whole show at this point. But it's one of my favorites and if I had room it'd be on the playlist I have of wrestling things I find interesting and forget to post about. Playlist limit is 5000 videos, btw.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's a perfect match. Just objectively speaking everything about it is perfectly constructed and executed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you took a shot every time you heard “Well, Conrad, I don’t really know since I wasn’t there.” during this podcast, you’d have alcohol poisoning.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
3,6, 10 and 17 for me for sure. I can get behind most of the first 14 for a mix of nostalgia and matches that hold up as unique as they were not rematched to death on TV and PPV so when you see the line ups they still can seem appealing.
--
Listening to The Wrestling History Hand Grenade's part 2 review of WM4. The 2 parts total over 7 hours.

Fantasy booking wise, they should have had Jake reveal Cheryl at a stand up podium interview "I plan to win the greatest title in all of wrestling at Wrestlemania 4 and I want the woman I love, my wife Cheryl to be there to witness it" DeGeorge can go gaga over her being gorgeous and question the Snake if bringing a sexy woman around Rude is wise, given he's a perv. Jake can threaten Rude about it and the groundwork of the feud is laid.
Then instead of their 15 min snoozer, you can have a quick sprint. Rude gets some heat on Jake and then goes over where Cheryl is sitting to make lewd gestures. Snake attacks from behind. double CO. Boredom saved.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The only ones I know for sure are on my list are 3, 9, and 17.

They never hit the same after 23, and honestly I can't watch that show anymore.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
10 used to be in my top three (maybe as high as #2 being X-7) but watching that show as an adult, a lot of that show outside the two famous matches is cheeks. It’s still Top 10 but Idk if I’d put it in my top 5 at this point.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If I'd seen 10 in full earlier, it'd definitely be higher. It took me years to get a copy of it.

9 is maybe my favorite show ever and that's 100% sentimental attachment.

Probably goes

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tbh, I feel like the Hardcore Title match would've been better off on Heat and they should've put the Rikishi and the Zoo Crew Vs Mr. Perfect, Test & Christian Heat match on the main show.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Nah, they needed to give the impression that Tough Enough was worth a damn so putting on a short, inoffensive match featuring the winner was best practice. Also helped other people appear on-screen and snag a payday.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Maven/Rikishi/Zoo Crew vs Perfect/Test/Storm/Goldust. More people get a payday and you hide his weakeness.

I was so mad Perfect wasn't on the show at the time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They should have just had another Hardcore Title Battle Royal. I would say washed Mr. Perfect doing WWF Hardcore stuff would've been fun but him doing hardcore stuff in '02/'03 TNA was NOT GOOD so---

And cut off the damn musical performances to "explain the story" of the main events.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Maven/Perfect is a match they should've booked as a rib.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Before they were stars cameos I didn’t know existed. It seemed like Keith Lee appeared out of nowhere in 2016. Idk he was a ten+ year vet by then.

Triple H Vs Randy Orton might not be the absolute worst WrestleMania main event but it could very well be the most disappointing. They built it up to be a crazy, unhinged brawl but it was a bone dry, competent match you’d expect from these two. Not different from what they would have done at Judgment Day or Vengeance. It’s probably a victim of being the first WrestleMania main event of the TV PG era but why do that crazy angle of people being punted in the head and breaking into houses if you know you’re writing cashes that you can’t check?

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember at the time thinking it should of been Cena vs Orton and HHH vs Edge vs Big Show. And then they ran Cena vs Orton 4000 times the rest of the year and killed the match.

The first minute with the immediate Pedigree and RKO nearfalls was different, but then it just turned into a cookie cutter HHH and Orton match.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Has Triple H ever had a good WrestleMania main event? His 2-3 good-great matches were on the undercard.

He is bizarro version of his BFF HBK. Mr. WrestleMania letdown.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s probably the #2 example in my head of “Fair to middling matches elevated by a great crowd.” Behind Rock-Hogan.

Valeyard

Reaction score
People love the Benoit match. The Cena match is fine but literally a lesser version of the Shawn match. The 2000 four way is alright but gets awesome when it comes down to him and Rock.