Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWE Elimination Chamber 2010

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BruiserBrody said:
wnyxmcneal said:
Bad example, Trig Green. WWE has much bigger roster now.

Unlike the 80's ?!?!?!?!?!? Really Bob? 92-96 maybe when the roster was thin, but other than those years the rosters been bloated since 1984

Yes, really Brody. Don't forget in Wrestlemania 2 and Wrestlemania 4 they had battle royals, and WM 5-7 had about 30 matches with random midcarders dicking around

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brody has a point

No he doesn't.

the pre-1992 WrestleManias did just fine and the "story less" matches were probably 1-2 matches on the card (and took up maybe 2-4 guys, not 6).

Hmmm, that's pretty inaccurate. Even though each show has its fair share of defenders, you can't deny that WM 5-7 are plagued with too many meaningless matches as a way to pad the card.

If you want to ignore that, what about the WrestleManias of the modern era prior to WrestleMania 21? You know, like WM 18-20?

What about them? Wrestlemania XX had two fatal four-way matches as a way to get everyone on the card, plus the Cruiserweight open. I think the only name guy not on the show was Matt Hardy, and he was supposed to face Mark Henry.

Okay, Big Green, lets look this up-

Wrestlemania pre-1992 without storylines: (if I'm wrong, please correct me)

Wrestlemania 1:

Tito Santana beat The Executioner (Buddy Rose) via submission.
King Kong Bundy pinned SD Jones.
Ricky Steamboat pinned Matt Borne.

Wrestlemania 2:

Jake Roberts pinned George Wells (3:15).
WWF Women's Champ Fabulous Moolah pinned Velvet McIntyre (1:25).
Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules Hernandez.
Adrian Adonis pinned Uncle Elmer.

Wrestlemania 3:

Rick Martel & Tom Zenk beat Bob Orton & Don Muraco (5:37) when Martel pinned Muraco.
Butch Reed pinned Koko B. Ware (3:39).
Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff beat The Killer Bees (5:44) via DQ.

Wrestlemania 5:

Hercules pinned Haku (6:57).
Akeem & Big Boss Man beat The Rockers (8:02) when Akeem pinned Michaels.
Bushwhackers beat Jacques & Raymond Rougeau (9:10) when Williams pinned Raymond.
Mr. Perfect pinned The Blue Blazer (5:38).
Dino Bravo pinned Ronnie Garvin (3:06).
The Hart Foundation beat Honkytonk Man & Greg Valentine (7:40) when Hart pinned Honkytonk.
Jim Duggan DCO Bad News Brown (3:49).

Wrestlemania 6:

Rick Martel pinned Koko B. Ware (3:51).
Earthquake pinned Hercules (4:52).
The Hart Foundation beat Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zuhkov (0:19) when Hart pinned Zuhkov.
The Barbarian pinned Tito Santana (4:33).
The Orient Express (Sato & Tanaka) beat The Rockers (7:38) via countout.
Jim Duggan pinned Dino Bravo (4:15).
Rick Rude pinned Jimmy Snuka (3:59).

Wrestlemania 7:

The Rockers beat The Barbarian & Haku (10:41) when Michaels pinned Haku.
Kerry Von Erich pinned Dino Bravo (3:11).
Davey Smith pinned Warlord (8:15).
The Undertaker pinned Jimmy Snuka (4:20).
Koji Kitao & Genichiro Tenryu beat Demolition Smash & Crush (4:44) when Tenryu pinned Smash.
The Legion of Doom beat Hercules & Paul Roma (0:59) when Animal pinned Roma.
The Mountie pinned Tito Santana (1:21).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
wnyxmcneal said:
BruiserBrody said:
wnyxmcneal said:

Unlike the 80's ?!?!?!?!?!? Really Bob? 92-96 maybe when the roster was thin, but other than those years the rosters been bloated since 1984

Yes, really Brody. Don't forget in Wrestlemania 2 and Wrestlemania 4 they had battle royals, and WM 5-7 had about 30 matches with random midcarders dicking around

I thought you were arguing today's roster was huge compared to the past?

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BruiserBrody said:
wnyxmcneal said:
BruiserBrody said:
wnyxmcneal said:

I thought you were arguing today's roster was huge compared to the past?

Today's roster, because of the two seperate brands, has more people who you would classify in the mid to upper midcard, who probably deserve or are worth a Wrestlemania match because of their body of work over the past year

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
Wrestlemania pre-1992 without storylines: (if I'm wrong, please correct me)

Some of those had storyline purposes and some built and furthered angles, and yes some were there to put new guys over. The amount of actual filler bouts isn't too bad in that case.

The thing is cards used to be structured different as well. The early Starcades had a shit ton of jobberiffic bouts as well as a way to warm up the crowd and prevent burn out.

The modern WM Supercard concept started around the early 00's

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the mid-90s was when they cut out the fat, because the roster was so thin, besides the occasional battle royal.

M

Matt Young

I didn't see Elimination Chamber since I was watching the USA vs. Canada hockey game, but it sounds like the chamber matches were really good and the rest was "meh".

Reading the results between periods of the hockey game, I really hated how the first 2 matches went. I actually like John Cena, and I enjoy Batista as a heel. However, I do not enjoy having either man as champion, and their inevitable WrestleMania matchup did not need the belt to be important. Also, does this mean Batista is officially back on Raw? I hope not. And I expected Sheamus to lose, but I can't say I'm a fan of the way things went down.

Kane vs. McIntyre sounds like it was about what everyone expected. I'm also glad that they got THREE BELT CHAMPION Miz on the card. I don't like that the Divas title match was altered. I was looking forward to the crowning of a new champion, and I am a fan of both women who were originally scheduled to take part in the match.

I was most happy with the results of the Smackdown elimination chamber. I really hope that Edge vs. Jericho is indeed the main event (as in last match) of WrestleMania rather than Cena/Batista. I'd like to see Batista retain, first off, but since I'll be attending WrestleMania, I'd really like to see my #1 and #2 favorite wrestlers in WWE- Edge and Jericho respectively- square off with Edge hopefully winning his 10th world title.

I'm looking forward to watching the chamber matches and hope to be pleasantly surprised by everything else. The show seemed to do an excellent job building to WrestleMania, as it should. Here's what I'm hoping for and expecting for WrestleMania, which probably isn't too far off from what others will predict:

World Heavyweight Championship: Chris Jericho vs. Edge
WWE Championship: Batista vs. John Cena
Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
Triple H vs. Sheamus
Bret Hart vs. Vince McMahon
Randy Orton vs. Ted DiBiase

I've read rumors that they're scrapping Money in the Bank in lieu of an upcoming MITB themed pay per view later this year. I hope that's not they case. If they do that, I expect a CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio match. If they do run MITB, I'd figure the participants to be as such:

Money in the Bank ladder match: Kofi Kingston vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth vs. Drew McIntyre vs. CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio vs. The Miz vs. Christian

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
However, I do not enjoy having either man as champion, and their inevitable WrestleMania matchup did not need the belt to be important.

It makes the most sense with the storyline. Batista turned heel because of his frustration with always choking in his attempts to win the World Title. He then aligns with Mr. McMahon, knowing he will provide him the easiest path to finally win the belt.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wrestlemania 1:

Tito Santana beat The Executioner (Buddy Rose) via submission.
King Kong Bundy pinned SD Jones. - New guy goes over
Ricky Steamboat pinned Matt Borne.- New guy goes over

Wrestlemania 2:

Jake Roberts pinned George Wells (3:15).- New guy goes over
WWF Women's Champ Fabulous Moolah pinned Velvet McIntyre (1:25). - Title match (weak)
Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules Hernandez. Two pushed upper midcarders - Herc was fairly new so perhaps they wanted him to have a good match on a big stage
Adrian Adonis pinned Uncle Elmer. - NO EXCUSE

Wrestlemania 3:

Rick Martel & Tom Zenk beat Bob Orton & Don Muraco (5:37) when Martel pinned Muraco.- put over the Hot Young No 1 contenders
Butch Reed pinned Koko B. Ware (3:39).- New guy goes over
Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff beat The Killer Bees (5:44) via DQ. - Furthered new comer Hacksaw Duggan's pro USA angle

Wrestlemania 5:

Hercules pinned Haku (6:57). - Herc is pissed that Heenan sold him
Akeem & Big Boss Man beat The Rockers (8:02) when Akeem pinned Michaels.
Bushwhackers beat Jacques & Raymond Rougeau (9:10) when Williams pinned Raymond.
Mr. Perfect pinned The Blue Blazer (5:38).- New guy goes over (yeah he was in since August but he was just starting the Perfect push)
Dino Bravo pinned Ronnie Garvin (3:06).
The Hart Foundation beat Honkytonk Man & Greg Valentine (7:40) when Hart pinned Honkytonk. - Jimmy Hart vs Hart F. was ongoing since WM 4
Jim Duggan DCO Bad News Brown (3:49). - Big Mean Upper mid card brawlers - both had headlined vs Andre and Savage in the months prior - match was a disapointment, but the idea was good

Wrestlemania 6:

Rick Martel pinned Koko B. Ware (3:51).
Earthquake pinned Hercules (4:52). - New guy goes over
The Hart Foundation beat Nikolai Volkoff & Boris Zuhkov (0:19) when Hart pinned Zuhkov. - New No.1 contender tag tem goes over quick
The Barbarian pinned Tito Santana (4:33). - Barbarian's single run kick off
The Orient Express (Sato & Tanaka) beat The Rockers (7:38) via countout.
Jim Duggan pinned Dino Bravo (4:15). USA vs Canada - an off and on feud since 1988
Rick Rude pinned Jimmy Snuka (3:59). - Rude's a serious head shaved main eventer heel run kick off

Wrestlemania 7:

The Rockers beat The Barbarian & Haku (10:41) when Michaels pinned Haku.
Kerry Von Erich pinned Dino Bravo (3:11).
Davey Smith pinned Warlord (8:15). - This was a long "Who does more roids" feud Wrestled on 4 PPVs this year IIRC
The Undertaker pinned Jimmy Snuka (4:20). - New guy goes over
Koji Kitao & Genichiro Tenryu beat Demolition Smash & Crush (4:44) when Tenryu pinned Smash. - New business partners for WWF go over
The Legion of Doom beat Hercules & Paul Roma (0:59) when Animal pinned Roma. - this was a feud stemming from the Superstars Tag team battle royal and also helped push LOD as new No 1 contenders
The Mountie pinned Tito Santana (1:21). - New guy goes over

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With all the new guy goes over matches (and Mountie already had a similar match in January) was there any story to the match?

Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff beat The Killer Bees (5:44) via DQ. - Furthered new comer [sic-it's one word] Hacksaw Duggan's pro USA angle

Why not just do Jim Duggan v. Iron Shiek? What was the point of the tag match, aside from giving Shiek material 20 years later.

Mr. Perfect pinned The Blue Blazer (5:38).- New guy goes over (yeah he was in since August but he was just starting the Perfect push)

This is a weak one, since as you said, Hennig had been in WWE since August. And I don't think there was backstory to this match.

Jimmy Hart vs Hart F. was ongoing since WM 4

But wasn't the match just announced on Superstars without any real backstory or issue to the teams.

Rick Rude pinned Jimmy Snuka (3:59). - Rude's a serious head shaved main eventer heel run kick off

Yea, but Rude and Snuka had both been slotted into their roles by this point. I don't think a win over Snuka meant anything.

Davey Smith pinned Warlord (8:15). - This was a long "Who does more roids" feud Wrestled on 4 PPVs this year IIRC

Yea, they were on opposite sides at Summerslam and Survivor Series and fought at TTIT.

Koji Kitao & Genichiro Tenryu beat Demolition Smash & Crush (4:44) when Tenryu pinned Smash. - New business partners for WWF go over

But Kitao and Tenryu were never seen again. This was the epitome of pointless

MillenniumMan831

Monsoon_Classic
Reaction score
I don't think so but I know they had a rematch on the next SNME that went longer but with a similiar result.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
With all the new guy goes over matches (and Mountie already had a similar match in January) was there any story to the match?

I'm not sure off hand - most of them I'd doubt it severely. Mountie and Tito was followed up on at SNME afterwards...

I'd be willing to bet Herc and Quake had some build RE: Quake injuring Herc's "buddies" like Garvin, HB Jim and others

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Mountie beat him in 4 minutes on SNME.

Poor Tito. I wonder how he feel knowing that his only WM wins were his first and last, and the last one never made TV

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From WWE's Twitter:

Just announced: MONEY IN THE BANK Qualifying Matches will begin TONIGHT on Raw. Watch LIVE at 9/8 CT on @USA_Network!! #WWE

-----

Good! Congrats Kofi, Morrison, Christian...you made the card!

M

Matt Young

Yes! I based my TSM Fantasy team around likely MITB participants.