Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF: Hulkamania era (1984-`1992)

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
There's a Jumbo and Haku vs Perfect and Martel match, so was Yatsu replaced too? Haku, Yatsu, and Jumbo is a stable we needed.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Should have stuck Gordy with Bossman for some UWF hoss action instead.

Jake/Bossman is so random with everybody else getting Japan opponents.

I think I have this on DVD and likely watched it but I'm not sure. Those main matches popped up on other comps over the years so I can't recall.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

We have to assume Nord's flaky behavior from the mid 80s that he learned from Brody (No shows and refusing to job) held him back from getting built up as somebody for Hogan/Warrior/Bulldog/Bret etc could feud with.

Also odd that a jacked monster wore a shirt in the AWA '89 and WWF to work in.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
These were consecutive images that came up in my Facebook feed

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpeg
    IMG_3096.jpeg
    649.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3097.jpeg
    IMG_3097.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 3

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A little oddity: After WM 5 the Powers of Pain (much like the Hart Foundation) split up on the house shows. There doesn't seem to be any real purpose other than giving Neidhart something to do with Bret tangling with Mr. Perfect.
Barb worked Anvil around the horn for two months while Warlord grappled with.... The Birdman.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Jericho has a funny story in his first book about hanging out with Koko when Jericho was just a teenage wrestling nerd before a house show in Winnipeg. Jericho told Koko he was a great wrestler AND a great singer (future inspiration?) then asked Koko how he was going to beat The Warlord. Koko said he was going to have to do a lot of dipping and diving.

After Koko got squashed, Jericho said to himself “Damn. I guess dipping and diving didn’t work for him.”

(Brian Jewel is a local indie guy that was probably filling in)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently Hogan/Andre's 33 million viewers wasn't even the biggest wrestling audience of the Hulkamania era of global wrestling as Inoki's promoting magic saw him vs Leon Spinks draw 39 million viewers a few months before the WWF's Main Event. When you consider the size of Japan to the US, that's bonkers.

Uh oh.... Big Dave Meltz in the WON at the time says NBC's rating was actually only 26 million and the 33 million number came from early guesstimates. Is nothing sacred!

Ebersol told the press at the time that they would not be doing WWF shows in prime time weekly after this because "It would hurt the live gates"
Meltz of course refutes this and says the ratings wouldn't hold up to network standards.
Dave has to then conflate the ratings into what it would have drawn had it been in the SNME time slot.

After the Main Event, NBC fans had Miami Vice and Unsolved Mysteries to look forward to. Powerful Friday night line up!

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Main Event did not finish in the top 10 that week of highest rated shows. Think it was in the high teens. It was a Friday night so that may be a bit unfair though

Incredible success by wrestling standards but NBC was disappointed with the number.

I was so shocked Hogan lost that night I think I went right to bed and didn't stay up to watch Unsolved Mysteries (which I loved)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Weird David didn't work for Afa's promotion on the East Coast.
Sammartino popped in on Herbo Turbo for some UWF work in 90 and doesn't have much else on his match list of note until he shows up on Nitro to job to Malenko.

By the time he got himself fired by the WWF it was probably too late to be of any use to JCP.

--
John McAdam actually said on his pod last week that JCP should have signed Ivan Putski in 87 to work Flair in old WWF towns. I thought that was absurd for him to say, especially since McAdam watched the era live. If Ivan had anything to offer, Vince would have used him beyond JTTS level in 87

Valeyard

Reaction score
Where I used to get my hair cut back home, they had a wall of pictures of people that had gotten cuts. So many jobbers, and three that looked like Jon "The Third Doctor" Pertwee.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My comic buddy Ken has a great story about being at his barber's shop, in the barber chair and seeing an autographed photo of Brutus Beefcake and saying to his barber "Wow. You've cut Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake's hair?" and the non Beefcake Barber says "Yeah, he's right over there." then swivels the barber chair around and reveals that the Booty Man is reading a magazine and waiting for a cut.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My comic buddy Ken has a great story about being at his barber's shop, in the barber chair and seeing an autographed photo of Brutus Beefcake and saying to his barber "Wow. You've cut Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake's hair?" and the non Beefcake Barber says "Yeah, he's right over there." then swivels the barber chair around and reveals that the Booty Man is reading a magazine and waiting for a cut.
God I need to know what magazine captured the Beefers attention.

Field & Stream? MotorTrend? Us Weekly?

Most likely, Highlights.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it might have been Sports Illustrated.

“Yeah. My best buddy Terry was an offensive linemen for the Houston Gamblers for the USFL on the weekends. But that was just his second job. . He was more known as a pro wrestler. Hulk Hogan. He was my best friend.”

Valeyard

Reaction score
He was checking out the Home And Garden thots.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A men’s barber shop in the suburbs of Boston in the ‘00s was not gonna have fackin’ Home & Gahden, kehd.

I kind of doubt they would have it now unless it was an LGBT friendly shop.

Actually I haven’t seen any magazines at a barber shop in 5-10 years.

Beefer was so prominent in the mid-late ‘00s New England shindies that I am shocked me and @Laz didn’t have any encounters with him.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
My only meeting in 00s NE shindies that had any lasting memory is when I ran into Eddie Edwards and DC Dillinger (RIP) before an NECW show at a convenience store. That and Cena's dad, who was super polite to everyone and enjoyed the chants our little NECW Heel Section came up with.