Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling Books Discussion Zone

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Finally reading Bob Backlund’s autobiography and it’s pretty damn good. Not just talking about his feuds and opponents but also Vince Sr.’s booking patterns and philosophies.

alkeiper

Reaction score
One interesting thing that Backlund presents regards WWWF running a face champion on top. He claims it's easier to heat up a heel in a short amount of time than to heat up a babyface. I've always preferred running a face champion, but it makes sense that you could bring in someone like Bulldog Brower cold and do a quick program.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Finished up Backlund's book. Recommended. Backlund gives a lot of detail on his title run, decent coverage of his territory days before, unfortunately very little post '84 besides the Mr. Backlund run. Other wrestlers throw in their two cents from time to time including George Steele, Don Muraco, Ken Patera (in all his bitter glory), Jimmy Snuka, Harley Race. Backlund confirms the Inoki stuff was all a work but Vince Sr. didn't think Backlund/Inoki could headline the Garden. Backlund is mostly complimentary about those he wrestled, particularly Muraco. When it comes to Graham '82 he doesn't take unnecessary shots but is honest about what didn't work.

Interestingly he did bring up Nancy Argentino's murder, noting that Snuka had drug problems (doesn't accuse him of more than mamajuana use) and wasn't considered reliable enough to hold a title despite his extreme popularity at the time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reading Brian Gerwirtz's book and it's the super fun and breezy read I was hoping for. There is a black cloud over it in how it portrays Vince McMahon as an intimidating but ultimately fun eccentric. Timing couldn't have been worse for a fun look back at the backstage scene at WWE in the '00s.

I'm just glad that there was an entire chapter dedicated to the Guest GM era though!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Reading Brian Gerwirtz's book and it's the super fun and breezy read I was hoping for. There is a black cloud over it in how it portrays Vince McMahon as an intimidating but ultimately fun eccentric. Timing couldn't have been worse for a fun look back at the backstage scene at WWE in the '00s.

I'm just glad that there was an entire chapter dedicated to the Guest GM era though!
Give us some stories/highlights?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Finished up Backlund's book. Recommended. Backlund gives a lot of detail on his title run, decent coverage of his territory days before, unfortunately very little post '84 besides the Mr. Backlund run. Other wrestlers throw in their two cents from time to time including George Steele, Don Muraco, Ken Patera (in all his bitter glory), Jimmy Snuka, Harley Race. Backlund confirms the Inoki stuff was all a work but Vince Sr. didn't think Backlund/Inoki could headline the Garden. Backlund is mostly complimentary about those he wrestled, particularly Muraco. When it comes to Graham '82 he doesn't take unnecessary shots but is honest about what didn't work.

Interestingly he did bring up Nancy Argentino's murder, noting that Snuka had drug problems (doesn't accuse him of more than mamajuana use) and wasn't considered reliable enough to hold a title despite his extreme popularity at the time.
IIRC he mentions Vince Sr approached Backlund to see what he thought of dropping the strap to Snuka.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could have sworn the Mike Bell squash was ‘02 was well but I think he was released because it wasn’t the only time he was too rough on enhancement talent.

I have completed 90% of the Brian Gewirtz book and it is a very pro WWE and McMahon Family book, which again, not the best timing considering it is being released after the biggest scandal in company history but that tweet is a very distorted and overly cynical look at it. He actually gives a paragraph or two into the genesis of the Moppy character before briefly mentioning the theory that it was punishment.

Funniest thing about is Saturn believed he was being punished and to “get back” at WWE. He started taking Moppy on the road with him and treating them like it was his actual spouse.

TL:DR version; people like to skim stuff then try to pretend they have a super insightful take.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gewirtz saved one of his best stories for last. Apparently 2 or 3 weekends a year, WWE creative would travel the house show loops to gauge what was getting over. Michael Hayes would always drive and refuse when the writers asked him to stop at Wendy’s for Frostys.

“I rode up and down these very roads with Terry and Buddy, drinking, fighting and selling out every arena in the state, so, no, I am not going to ruin that legacy by stopping for a fucking Frosty.”

Thankfully, they finally wore him down and Michael PS Hayes enjoyed a fucking Frosty.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Read Gewirtz's book (with the dust jacket on). For some reason I thought he was older and had a salt and pepper beard. I don't know even know who I had him confused with. Maybe cross post with the mental health thread.

Anyway, it was a fun read. I agreed with him about Stephanie McMahon being a fairly good promo and able to roll with situations well.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If ECW never happened, Tod could've created Hardcore Pawn 20 years earlier and changed the world, not just the wrestling business.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Very excited for the Monsoon bio. Less so the Patera but I'll probably read that, too.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Patera’s had an extremely interesting career. He was in the Olympic village during the Black September attack. He comes off quite grumpy and bitter in interviews so his book really depends on his attitude.