Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2009 Emmy Nominations

Mole

Mole since '97
Reaction score
This is the only place where I hear how bad Family Guy is now and that it was much better when it first aired. Every other message board and here in the RW, people like it better now. And so do I.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
It's not even a viable sitcom or anything anymore, it's just an exercise in squeezing in as many pop culture references as possible. The characters have devolved into spouting catchphrases rather than advancing the story of an episode.

I was a fan of Family Guy at first. It was almost like a cruder version of The Simpsons. Now, it's just a vehicle for surreal cutaway jokes that add nothing to the plot. That The Simpsons couldn't get nominated during its outstanding 7-8 year run but Family Guy half-asses a couple witty jokes and gets nominated is retarded.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kevin Dillon getting a nomination is a good thing.

and EHME is right, The Wire not getting nominated for anything ever is a tragedy. That's not bias talking, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen, period.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thread Summary: If you're complaining about Emmy nominations instead of watching The Wire, you're doing it wrong

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Mole said:
This is the only place where I hear how bad Family Guy is now and that it was much better when it first aired. Every other message board and here in the RW, people like it better now. And so do I.

The only people I know who really love new Family Guy are generally people who didn't have anything to really compare it to. They missed big run of the Simpsons and shows like Futurama (Which is one of the most underrated animated series out there), so they grew up with this sort of stuff. Most of the people I hang out with prefer South Park (Which is an absolutely superior show). I think I'm one of the few who really watches American Dad nowadays, but the people who have gone back to it have liked it.

Mole

Mole since '97
Reaction score
If HIMYM won Best Comedy, that would be fuckin awesome.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How does that increase your enjoyment of the program?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Uh-oh.

Mole broke Czech's cardinal rule of rooting for the things that you enjoy to be recognized with awards.

Everyone...back away...slowly

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's true though. HIMYM isn't going to change for the better because it won the award. It'll remain the same show it was before and quite possibly, this 00's version of Friends would only manage to get worse. All that will be accomplished by a victory for the viewer is the equivalent of a pat on the back.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If they are going to have the awards shows anyway...where is the harm in rooting for the one you like best? Why does it have to become a topic of anti-interest? In a thread clearly designed for those interested?

foleyfanforever88

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think it will, but if HIMYM does win Best Comedy, it might gain some viewers and that would make me happy.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The reason people get excited about their shows getting awards is because they want to tell people that they watch a critically acclaimed show. Which in turn makes them think people would find them more appealing for having "impeccable taste" in television shows.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The issue isn’t that there is a right or wrong regarding “rooting” for a tv show/movie or whatever the case may be (I’m guilty of this). My problem is the comment from Mole stipulating that a victory at this award show would be "fuckin awesome".

I wouldn’t necessarily have a issue with that type of rooting interest, even if it’s for a show that has seen a sharp decline over the years, but the impression that I gathered from Mole is that it wouldn’t be awesome because it rewards the show with appreciation from this specific panel of judges or improves the quality of the show, but rather that it would validate his fandom for the show. Which is essentially the point made by USC 55. Give support because you feel the show/performer is justified to be considered the best of that particular field but not because it makes watching the show worthwhile.

A true quality show doesn’t need to be pampered with awards to showcase it’s value. A critically acclaimed show such as The Wire or The Shield would always hold up. If anything, the constant fury that exists because of the “snub” treatment towards these shows and those of its ilk will expand the discussion of their excellence well beyond their respective runs. Meanwhile, heavily rewarded shows such as Frasier or The West Wing are largely forgotten by this point in history aside from being trivia answers. If HIMYM wins for Best Comedy, congrats to those involved, if it doesn’t, I’m fairly sure the fans will still follow the show as fervently as ever.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How in the world do you get all of that out of this: "If HIMYM won Best Comedy, that would be fuckin awesome"

How do you get anything other than...hmmm...I guess Mole like MIMYM and would like to see the people behind it be rewarded for his entertainment.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
I want Louis CK to win for what he's nominated for because I like his comedy and want to see him rewarded for it. I think he's one of the best in the business right now.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hawk 34 said:
A true quality show doesn’t need to be pampered with awards to showcase it’s value. A critically acclaimed show such as The Wire or The Shield would always hold up. If anything, the constant fury that exists because of the “snub” treatment towards these shows and those of its ilk will expand the discussion of their excellence well beyond their respective runs. Meanwhile, heavily rewarded shows such as Frasier or The West Wing are largely forgotten by this point in history aside from being trivia answers. If HIMYM wins for Best Comedy, congrats to those involved, if it doesn’t, I’m fairly sure the fans will still follow the show as fervently as ever.

Good analysis

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've largely reached an inner peace when it comes to my interests needing validation. I lapse, being human, but I've gotten pretty good at not letting this shit affect what ought to be properly calibrated relationships with entertainment. I strongly recommend it. Life is easier when you're not wringing your hands over award shows or "rooting for movies like I root for sports teams." I really like 30 Rock, which won this award twice, but I don't really care that it did. I'm sure Tina Fey and all parties involved are decent folks, but I don't need to be happy for them. I just watch their funny show.

How I Met Your Mother is basically Friends with half-baked Arrested Development gimmicks, incidentally. A more fitting winner of a mainstream award there isn't.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Hawk 34 said:
The issue isn’t that there is a right or wrong regarding “rooting” for a tv show/movie or whatever the case may be (I’m guilty of this). My problem is the comment from Mole stipulating that a victory at this award show would be "fuckin awesome".

I wouldn’t necessarily have a issue with that type of rooting interest, even if it’s for a show that has seen a sharp decline over the years, but the impression that I gathered from Mole is that it wouldn’t be awesome because it rewards the show with appreciation from this specific panel of judges or improves the quality of the show, but rather that it would validate his fandom for the show. Which is essentially the point made by USC 55. Give support because you feel the show/performer is justified to be considered the best of that particular field but not because it makes watching the show worthwhile.

This is the best post in the thread.