Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2010 World Cup

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here is big on the World Cup, but the draw came out today. Experts say the U.S. has a pretty good group but will have to get some points out of England in its first game. Group G is being heralded as this year's group of death with Brazil, who's ranked #2 in the world, in the same group as Portugal, who is ranked #5.

Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece
Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana,
Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
Group G: Brazil, Korea DPR, Côte d'Ivoire, Portugal
Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
Whoops, forgot to see that we had a soccer thread up and running. Admin feel free to delete.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Nah. Let's keep this up as a separate Cup thread. It's a big enough event.

I'm stoked for USA-England in the first round. That one should be a heck of a lot of fun.

Staff member
Reaction score
Biggest surprises will be an Argentina loss to South Korea and Germany not making it to the Round of 16. Just my opinion and all.

For whatever reason the groups this time around seem much more interesting.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Possible England Vs Germany first round knockout match.

Or England vs Australia.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I've decided to give a shit about this. Or to try. I might watch one game (match?) and get bored cause I don't know the rules other than "don't touch the fucking ball with your hands" and "don't fucking headbutt motherfuckers."

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
I'm still embarassed about the U.S. loss to Ghana last year. You know it's bad when you lose to a country that had to shut down most of its economic activity on the day of the game so that there would be enough electricity for people to watch the game on television.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
This is my only real interest in soccer. USA all the way for me, can't root for anyone else.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm still steamed about the whole thing thanks to my Irish blood.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
I only really pay attention to soccer during the World Cup, but I will say my trip to England two years really upped my appreciation for the game.

Definetly can't wait for USA-England. Going to be interesting to see how South Africa handles the event. Hopefully it's not a foreshadow to the Rio Games in 2016.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
Yea, South Africa really needs to get that crime rate down to reasonable levels but maybe Zuma's whole "shoot to kill" approach might pay dividends. If I were a fan I'm not sure I'd migrate all the way to South Africa for this...way too much social instability over there. South Africa really can't afford to screw this up, though, because if it comes off as a chaotic event then that'd be awful for Africa winning any other major sports events in the near future and only reinforce the various stereotypes of the continent.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Group G = Group Of Death. Brazil, Portugal and Cote d'Ivoire. Oh, and North Korea, but they won't get to see any of their country's shellackings anyway.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
CanadianChris said:
Group G = Group Of Death. Brazil, Portugal and Cote d'Ivoire. Oh, and North Korea, but they won't get to see any of their country's shellackings anyway.

Thats ok. In their world Korea wins the world cup, again.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
The problem with the tournament will come when South Africa are knocked out in the group stages. A lot of the excitement surrounding a World Cup relies on the host country doing well. South Africa will not. After that it's a question of how much interest the people have as neutrals and probably how full they can get the stadiums. If people stay away because of the worries about the crime-rate and the population themselves are priced out of games, that could be a problem.

That said, the Confederations Cup last year seemed to go pretty well.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Danville_Wrestling said:
I'm still embarassed about the U.S. loss to Ghana last year. You know it's bad when you lose to a country that had to shut down most of its economic activity on the day of the game so that there would be enough electricity for people to watch the game on television.
I did not feel like less of an American when the American all-star team lost. What I like abuot hte World Cup is watching Europeans, who otherwise pride themselves on being "global citizens," revert to violent tribalism: rioting in the streets, calling the Africans monkeys, and somehow blaming it all on the Jews.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
Atleast you guys got screwed. I'm half-Russian, we just ridiculously choked against Slovenia in an embarrassing display.

No clue who to cheer for. Probably Italy but it feels dirty cheering another European team.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
England will struggle, and probably not get past the First Round of the Knockout stages. I'd go with Ivory Coast or Spain to win it!

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
O.G. said:
Kahran Ramsus said:
Atleast you guys got screwed. I'm half-Russian, we just ridiculously choked against Slovenia in an embarrassing display.

No clue who to cheer for. Probably Italy
Is the other half Italian?

OG

OG
Reaction score
Shut Up Czech said:
O.G. said:
Kahran Ramsus said:

No clue who to cheer for. Probably Italy
Is the other half Italian?
The other half is Ethiopian. But my grandmother is half Italian.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
England will struggle, and probably not get past the First Round of the Knockout stages. I'd go with Ivory Coast or Spain to win it!

No no, I've got it all mapped out.

First game, US. Everybody's already writing the US off as easy opponents, in the same paragraph as mentioning that they beat Spain in the Conf. Cup. England get off to a slow start and scrape an unconvincing draw. Expectations drop.

Next game is Algeria. Easy task, but they make heavy weather of it for the first 45 minutes. Two goals in the second half, but nobody's that thrilled. Then, Slovenia, need to win to go through, comfortable win and everybody's just relieved to have made it.

First knockout stages, whoever finishes top of Group D. Won't be Germany. Let's say Ghana. Everybody is suddenly on edge, warning of complacency talking up the darkhorses chances. England thump them, either 3 or 4 goals scored, a classic England performance. Suddenly, we're world beaters again and the entire country does a complete 180 on the team's chances and ability.

Next round, France. Tight game. England are the better team. Should win, but don't. Somebody misses an easy chance and we're forced into extra time. Still can't put France away. Penalties come, we lose, everybody is left feeling like "if only", "we were so close", "if only it hadn't been for the penalties, we'd be the champions!". The papers all write that it's the same story as always.

Because it always is.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Cucaracha said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:

No no, I've got it all mapped out.

First game, US. Everybody's already writing the US off as easy opponents, in the same paragraph as mentioning that they beat Spain in the Conf. Cup. England get off to a slow start and scrape an unconvincing draw. Expectations drop.

Next game is Algeria. Easy task, but they make heavy weather of it for the first 45 minutes. Two goals in the second half, but nobody's that thrilled. Then, Slovenia, need to win to go through, comfortable win and everybody's just relieved to have made it.

First knockout stages, whoever finishes top of Group D. Won't be Germany. Let's say Ghana. Everybody is suddenly on edge, warning of complacency talking up the darkhorses chances. England thump them, either 3 or 4 goals scored, a classic England performance. Suddenly, we're world beaters again and the entire country does a complete 180 on the team's chances and ability.

Next round, France. Tight game. England are the better team. Should win, but don't. Somebody misses an easy chance and we're forced into extra time. Still can't put France away. Penalties come, we lose, everybody is left feeling like "if only", "we were so close", "if only it hadn't been for the penalties, we'd be the champions!". The papers all write that it's the same story as always.

Because it always is.

Roll on Euro 2012!

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to see Canada make the World Cup someday, just to see how few Canadians actually cheer for them over their country of ancestry. I wouldn't really blame them, either.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Canada was in the 1984 World Cup. Lost all three round robin games and never registered a goal.

Besides its not like Hungary is going to make it to the World Cup either.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Red Baron said:
Canada was in the 1984 World Cup. Lost all three round robin games and never registered a goal.

Besides its not like Hungary is going to make it to the World Cup either.

1986 actually. It was the first World Cup I remember (I was 2 in 1982). Canada's performance was rather pathetic, but I'd still rather be in the Cup than out.

And I would definitely cheer for Canada over Ireland.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yo, I heard soccer is bigger than hockey in Canada now. Is this true, or is this just carefully worded propaganda from the scourge upon humanity that is the legion of soccer advocates?

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"In the rest of the world, soccer, or more appropriately football, is called 'The Beautiful Game.'"

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think more kids play it. Probably because it's cheaper and parents don't have to get up at 5 AM.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It really steams my clams that hockey is considered the sport of white trash. It's fucking expensive to play!

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Right now football probably is the biggest sport in Canada. All three major league teams ... yes, that's like saying the Canadian National Team are world beaters, I know ... sell out their games every single time. Before I left directory assistance, we were informed that the reason why the Toronto FC don't list the BMO Field or itself was because too many people wanted tickets to the games.

If you want to watch one of our under-whatever-age national team (which actually do really well), forget it. Its like you need the money on the day of, or you can't find it. <_< Or at least here in Edmonton when they sometimes play here.

My younger cousins play soccer and they just love it more so than hockey. I think its just because they can get on the field even if they aren't that good at some point because no kids can stay out there the entire game unless he's a prodigy.