Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2016 Official Anime Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Buncha slackers when I'm the last 3 posts... still rolling through Season 1 of Higurashi (enjoying it more than S2) and just started up Myriad Colors Phantom World with its 1st episode airing on Crunchy Roll at 12:30 PM this afternoon. Hoping Dagashi Kashi will be on somewhere I can watch it when it premieres in a couple days.

Shooting Star

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: Anime Watching: Official Thread for 2016

I fucking loved the Bakuman live action movie. Saw it in Japan last week and was just totally blown away. Takeru Satoh is a deity when it comes to anime live action adaptations.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

I didn't even know there was a Bakuman live action movie. That (and Death Note to a lesser extent) were the manga that got me back into manga and anime again after years or not watching/reading. Which lead to me learning Japanese. Which led to my current life, basically. so, yeah, Bakuman's a pretty big deal to me. Even if it is horribly misogynistic in hindsight. :(

Edit: Looks like Ohba and Obata (the creative team behind Death Note and Bakuman) started a new series a couple of months ago. They're 2 for 2 so far. Looking forward to reading it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Stuff I've been working through...

Myriad Colors Phantom World: Decent show and the characterization seems poised to start improving but it's bringing up the rear in terms of my "must watch" at the moment.
Assassination Classroom: Just started up Season 2. Greatly enjoyed S1 and the characters/teacher are a ton of fun. The plot is what it is but I'm mainly watching for the characters. Also boo at them changing the end theme song :(
Dakashi Kashi: I'm actually enjoying this the most at the moment, mainly for Hotaru's character. She's fun in that serious & knowledgeable of what she talks about (Dakashi foods) yet it's done in a humorous, very over the top way that doesn't make it grating or an info dump. And the others all serving as straight foils for her antics helps a lot.
Fairy Tail (Zero): It is what it is, solid and fun at times, but I'm already hoping/ready for it to go back to the main FT crew...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Stumbled upon and enjoyed SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist. A futuristic series about an organization known as SOX led by Blue Snow trying to defy Japan's laws creating a public health act against lewd behavior/sexuality (including the use of bracelets to aid in arrests). An outsider joins the local high school in an effort to try and stymy the efforts of Blue Snow by helping the three members of the Student Council while Blue Snow wants to showcase sexuality/spread the knowledge of what it is to the students.

Lots of sex "innuendo" and ecchi sex teased moments throughout the show including an artist creating dirty work via pencil in mouth due to the PMs Bracelet identifying what's being drawn due to hand and arm movements (and said artist discovering the Yaoi genre via drawing a best selling manga whilst having a one-sided lesbian crush on the Student Council President). The main characters are fun, the interactions are mostly solid although sadly Goriki is pretty under-utilized.

For CWM, if you enjoyed the yandere-ness of the Yukiteru/Yuno relationship from Future Diary then you'll enjoy the Tanukichi/Anna development too as it's pretty similar. Also this felt like something up KOAB's alley.

It is rated R+ as a word of warning though all the words are bleeped out with varied sound effects and feature words like d*ck and p****.

7/10

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Shows I've been watching this season:

Ajin: Doesn't have an offical translation yet because I think its going on netflix. It's really good even if the 3d animation isnt for everyone.
Bubuki Buranki: This is by the gurreen laggan people i think because it has the same style.
Divine Gate: this would be a hundred times better without the awful narration/monologing thing that happens at times. Even then it would just be ok.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: really like this show. kids wake up with amnesia in an rpg like world and have to start at the bottom forming parties etc. its great because they arent all good at it. they struggle and suffer and life SUCKS. watching them have problems fighting a single goblin that they stab multiple times and still not finish is a great scene.
Heavy Object: This would have been a lot better at half the length because its gotten really repetitive but I liked the idea of man reclaiming the battlefield from machine.

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: Really love this show. NEET reborn in a fantasy world with a goddess to accompany him. wacky shit happens all over the place.
Prince of Stride: Alternative: only watched a few of these but for a athletes show its good.

Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage : I dont think this has an offical release either but it's pretty fun.
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle : this has too many harem elements to be very good but its alright.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyCI77-c-FU

This looks hilarious.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Considering it is based on the manga, Terraformers, I don't think it is supposed to be.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

Flik said:
Considering it is based on the manga, Terraformers, I don't think it is supposed to be.
roachface.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Been re-watching Kill La Kill on Netflix and still loving it a lot. Just a shame the DVD Releases left a lot to be desired (e.g. no Complete Series and all separated/insanely pricey on top of that). I'm hoping they'll release the entire season in a set down the road.

Screw it, bumped KLK up to a 10. It's worth it just from making me laugh too much at Episode 4 alone.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

@tekcop - That was just about the most obvious thing I could have said. My bad.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Finished up Season 2 of Fairy Tail and it
seemed pretty clear it'd be returning at some point probably
. Also knocked off Monster Musume and it was what it was as far as ecchi Marty Stu rom com stuff went, got a 6/10 from me.

Still loving Dagashi Kashi though to the point it's usually one of my more anticipated shows.

Reaction score

Harley Quinn said:
Wrote up an article for Top 10 Shows to watch when starting Anime inspired by CWM's starter article long ago.

I wanted to put Cowboy Bebop in there somewhere but Your Lie in April seemed like a better option for somebody more into classical music.

Cool list. Angel beats is too depressing to me. Great show but damn.

I would've added Death Note. It's probably the most suspenseful anime I've seen.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

My Hero Ronald Reagan said:
Harley Quinn said:
Wrote up an article for Top 10 Shows to watch when starting Anime inspired by CWM's starter article long ago.

I wanted to put Cowboy Bebop in there somewhere but Your Lie in April seemed like a better option for somebody more into classical music.

Cool list. Angel beats is too depressing to me. Great show but damn.

I would've added Death Note. It's probably the most suspenseful anime I've seen.

CWM did up Death Note for his article and I was trying to partly stay away from a lot of commonly cited stuff in best of/must watch lists.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Finished up Myriad Colors Phantom World and it was decent. Somewhat underwhelming considering the potential behind the plot to be honest and the characterization was decent but also somewhat unfulfilled. Probably a 6.5 in actuality.

Also finished Dagashi Kashi and enjoyed it far more than I probably should have. Hotaru was a fantastic character, carried the show, and had more chemistry with Saya in every scene together than either really did with Kokonotsu. A solid 8 and hoping it'll come back for a 2nd Season as the season finale didn't really wrap anything up and there's some potential to further the love triangle aspect down the road.

tumblr_o4zoug2b501v4r38fo2_r1_540.gif

Probably gonna finish up D-Frag! tonight as well. Solid stuff thus far, just 3 episodes left. Did not expect the plot that it was as I had a completely different concept in mind so it's been a pleasant surprise. If you liked School Rumble or Azumanga Daioh it's somewhat similar.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Knocked off the final 3 episodes of Gurran Lagann this early afternoon after I had dropped it at 24 eps. Ended up scoring it a 6/10 mostly because the first 15-16 episodes were very solid but after the
7 year age up
it kind of fell off greatly for me so I met in the middle overall. The animation, especially the fight effects, were great but not enough to boost up the lackluster 2nd half for me.

Rolled through the 1st Season of K-On along with the movie and enjoyed it. Now starting up the 2nd Season and about 3 episodes into it.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
If the Keijo!!!!!!!! anime is anything like its manga, well, just... Yeah, it'll break my brain from the absurdity.

Like the manga just did. Ow...

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Steamrolled through Berserk. Great show although I had initially skipped the 1st episode but got pestered into watching it by CWM. I still stand by the belief that it would've better served as an Epilogue to the series and that starting with the 2nd episode won't take anything away from the impact of the holy shit factor of the ending. Also CWM remarked that the 1st episode created a sense of doom throughout but for me it didn't do anything and actually made me more confused/disappointed when the show ended with its final scene.

Started up Twin Exorcists and I'm gonna love the female lead already, that much I know. Also started up Death Parade and fuck yeah is it right up my alley :) Great concept with intriguing characters early on. Already loving Nona's character too.

And continuing on with K-On Season 2 and Assassination Classroom Season 2.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget who told you about 4 of the 5 shows you just mentioned in the first place (even mentioned the female lead specifically...).

This season has a few shows that have potential but there's nothing that is sticking out as amazing yet. I looked at what is coming out next season and we're getting brand new Berserk, and D. Grayman.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
CWM said:
Don't forget who told you about 4 of the 5 shows you just mentioned in the first place (even mentioned the female lead specifically...).

This season has a few shows that have potential but there's nothing that is sticking out as amazing yet. I looked at what is coming out next season and we're getting brand new Berserk, and D. Grayman.

To be fair, two of those stuck in my head (Twin Exorcists and Death Parade) and you throw like 8-11 Anime Titles at me constantly so it's not hard to hit 1.000 after 2-3 months and like 125 titles randomly dropped/mentioned.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Death Parade and that was really disappointing considering how neat the concept sounded originally but it all just kind of went nowhere. Really a shame.

Also finished K-On! Season 2 finally. Fun stuff but at 26 episodes it just went on for way, way too long and would've been better served like the first season with a 12-14 episode run instead.

EDIT: In search of shows, starting up Dimension W which has gotten decent reviews on MAL - "In the not-so-distant future, humans have done the impossible and found a seemingly infinite source of energy. By tapping into the newly discovered fourth plane, Dimension W, they are able to harness that energy using "coils."

By 2071, manufacture of coils have come to be monopolized by the New Tesla energy company, which led to the appearance of unofficial, non-Tesla coils manufactured by private companies. Collectors are hired to confiscate these illegal coils for a bounty.

Kyouma is one such Collector. He dislikes all coils to the degree where he doesn't even use them in his daily life. On one coil-collecting mission, he bumps into a robot girl powered entirely by coils, and they enter into a hesitant partnership in order to achieve their goals."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I adore Benio in Twin Star Exorcists. Re-tried High School DxD and gave up, again, after 6 episodes. Decided to start up Baka & Test - Summon the Beasts instead while looking forward to the end of Assassination Classroom: Season 2 with just 5 episodes left.

Finished Dimension W and it was pretty solid stuff overall. The lead and the robot girl had a fun relationship and the plot was boosted towards the end.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dimension W was decent but took too long to introduce the villain and was a bit too convoluted.

Not that many shows on this season that I'm into compared to most:

Anne Happy♪ : Unlucky girls, including one that is in love with a safety sign figure.. silly fun.
Concrete revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song. Second season and more linear than the first but not as good.
The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water. 2nd season of a show with dude/girl with powers battling in a school tourny. seem a billion of these and it's in the middle ranks at best.
Kiznaiver- bunch of kids who have their feelings/pain linked together as an experiment to bring about "world peace" and deals with all their trauma but its as much a comedy at times. Pretty fun most of the time.
And you thought there is never a girl online? Best of the season probably. Bunch of RPG freaks realize they all go together and form a club, and one of them is super delusonal and cant tell the difference between real life/game and thinks shes married to one of the others etc. Fun times.
Twin Star Exorcists. Other best show. Looks like it has the potential to go for a while and be a bit like Bleach.
My Hero Academia. Also has potential to be good but haven't watched many eps yet. I think my kids will like this one a lot as well.
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto- Only watched the first couple of this one. Sakamoto is perfect in everyway to an insane degree. That's like the whole concept.

only watched the first eps of these two and wasn't wowed but will get to them more.
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Kuromukuro

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Enjoying Twin Star Exorcists and Benio is the best. So acerbic and awesome. Also finished up Season 2 of Baka and Test and enjoyed it though I preferred Season 1 more and the 2 in-between OVAs were pretty disappointing.

Was exploring MAL and apparently this show Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (aka Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World) is getting massive love and ratings so I've started that up on Crunchy Roll.
Synopsis
Suddenly, high school student Subaru Natsuki has been summoned to another world on the way back from the convenience store. With the biggest crisis of his life being summoned to another world, and with no sign of the one who summoned him, things become even worse when he is attacked. But when he is saved by a mysterious, silver-haired girl with a fairy cat, Subaru attempts to return the favor by helping her track down something that was stolen from her. When they finally manage to get a clue, Subaru and the girl are attacked and killed by someone. Subaru then awakens in the place he was summoned and notices he gained the ability "Returns by Death" and has become a helpless boy that only has the ability to rewind time to a certain point by dying. Beyond the despair, can he save the girl from the fate of death?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Assassination Classroom Season 2 and it was very solid although I preferred Season 1 a little bit more. Up through Episode 14 of Re:Zero and right now its the series I'm most enjoying while Twin Star Exorcists remains solid.

Also just got a message that Blue Exorcist: Season 2 is coming in 2017.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just started up Taboo Tattoo, which premiered 3 hours ago I think and looks like it could be a solid, interesting premise. Also tearing through KIZNAIVER as its the group behind Kill La Kill and the characterization is very, very similar and obviously its strong point whereas the plot is what it is. Nico is adorable and best though.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Zipped right through Kiznaiver's 12 episodes. Fun stuff although the plot was pretty weak but the characters made up for it mostly. Scored it a 7/10 but it probably hews closer to a 6.5 but Nico was adorable.
tumblr_o8z906ePRd1qf3803o1_1280.png

Also started up My Hero Academia - Season 1 on FUNimation because BONES is the studio behind it and it scored well on MAL.