Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

CBS: Big Ratings for Old People

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In a weird way, I feel like Letterman cared as much if not more about his old Late Night timeslot than The Late Late Show. He did everything he could to make him a successful successor and was cool with picking oddballs like Tom Snyder and Craig Ferguson to follow him. Idk how much Letterman had to do with picking Kilborn the 12:35 AM spot in 1999. They seem like they might be kindred spirits (snarky ex jocks).

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had no idea Lassie was on the air that long. I watched reruns as a kid as well but it always seemed like the ones from the 50s/early 60s.

Hee Haw lasted all the way till the early 2000s I believe (eh, 1997, but still)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hee Haw is one of those shows that I'm really kind of surprised that has never gotten any sort of revival.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Had no idea Lassie was on the air that long. I watched reruns as a kid as well but it always seemed like the ones from the 50s/early 60s.

Hee Haw lasted all the way till the early 2000s I believe (eh, 1997, but still)
I'm pretty sure the Lassie I saw was old too.

Mr. Ed and Leave it to Beaver were still being syndicated in the mid 80s here. I think I even recall seeing the Blondie sitcom IIRC.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There was the Blue Collar Comedy TV show that existed once upon a time.
Not all rural variety shows are the same, you sonuvagun!

I feel like Leave It to Beaver was still being syndicated up to around the time I started watching non kids shows in the mid '90s. Our local NBC affiliate aired daily The Andy Griffith Show reruns at 4 PM until the mid-late 2010s when Daily Blast Live premiered. Which I thought was super odd. Who the hell (besides @BruiserBrody maybe) still wanted to watch Andy Griffith in 2016?

Then again, I guess only people watching network TV at 4 PM on a weekday are probably elderly.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I may have watched as a kid, but I don't recall it. My buddy who is pushing 60 still watches it every day. And the Waltons....ugh.

I do love me some Little House on the Prairie, but since our local station took it off the air after decades of running it in syndication at 1 pm, I haven't seen it much. I used to watch Little House and Magnum PI back to back in bed as I tried to doze off for the third shift.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Then again, I guess only people watching network TV at 4 PM on a weekday are probably elderly.
Totally different world back then, but getting off the bus at 3:45 and getting Baywatch 5 days a week was....convenient....for a tween/teen Brody.

Tits or the SNES.....these were hard choices.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't remember Baywatch reruns ever being syndicated in Maine. Must be TOO HOT for our New England Puritan bloodI know the first run syndication episodes aired on Sunday afternoons at like 2 PM which is one of the worst crank times since everyone is usually in the house.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Baywatch was definatley syndicated here. I never watched it but I remember those commercials all too well.

I was shocked when I didn't completley hate that Baywatch movie with the Rock. Dumb as hell but entertaining.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I meant reruns weren't syndicated. It aired first run syndicated everywhere. Outside of the first season being on NBC which no one ever remembers. Man, if NBC had kept Baywatch that would have been the cherry on top of their insane success in the '90s. But I feel like part of Baywatch's sleazy appeal was that it was syndicated. Idk if it would have had the same cultural cache if it was just another NBC primetime drama.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I meant reruns weren't syndicated. It aired first run syndicated everywhere. Outside of the first season being on NBC which no one ever remembers. Man, if NBC had kept Baywatch that would have been the cherry on top of their insane success in the '90s. But I feel like part of Baywatch's sleazy appeal was that it was syndicated. Idk if it would have had the same cultural cache if it was just another NBC primetime drama.
Plus Baywatch Nights....which was Baywatch meets X-Files IIRC.

I'm surprised Fox never did a Baywatch like show with piles of playmates in the early 90s when they were especially raunchy.

Vince McMahon's favorite sitcom.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince McMahon's favorite sitcom.
It is too bad that WWF didn't jump over to FOX until it was too far into WWF's decline/scandal ridden era. If they'd jumped a year or two earlier like they originally planned, primetime SNME on FOX would have been a bigger thing. And we probably would have gotten Hulk Hogan appearing on In Living Color. Ah well.

Honestly, it's pretty amazing it took until 2019 for FOX to go back to airing a regular pro wrestling show. You think they would have been all over WWE like flies on poop during the Attitude/Ruthless Aggression eras.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm loving re-watching some random old Walker, Texas Ranger recently. A lot of over the top, near so bad it's good stories.

- Yesterday I saw the episode where a group of convicts take over a prison bus. They kill a few people before winding up intentionally at a church. The church was a orphanage for the lead bad guy, so he gets lippy with the head nun, who helped raise him. He also keeps another convict from getting rapey with a young nun he knew from their shared past in the orphanage.
OF COURSE Cahill, Walker's lover, is at the church at the moment the baddies arrive as she is leading a battered woman support group. Walker and the cops arrive. FFWD to Walker asking for a blue print of the place. They never show him getting one as the next scene is just him creeping around the edge of the church and kicking in a side door to the basement, with the baddies of course hearing none of this.
Walker helps free most of the hostages, but the 2 main baddies have the 2 nuns with them. The baddies end up arguing and the head baddie takes a bullet from baddie #2 to save the nuns. Walker then kicks Baddie number 2's ass. Instead of calling for the medics to come save the dying Baddie #1, Walker slowly walks towards him as the head nun opens the church doors, allowing God to enter and take the soul of the Baddie as end credits roll.
- Today Danny Trejvo (Sp?) is playing a paroled convict who is trying to make nice with his long forsaken wife and kid. The leader of the half way house he is staying at slowly tries to leverage increased freedoms for a return to crime. If the time lines weren't so far apart, I would swear that they based the sleazy half way house leader off of Texas' favorite dirt bag, Ted Cruz.

- I also have to say its impressive that they actually gave the then 50+ year old Norris a girlfriend reasonably close in age.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jesus, I just saw some pics of what Pam wore in some episodes of VIP. Even 1998 Sable would have been like "You slut!"
Another late entry into the trashy Saturday afternoon syndication shows with Renegade, Hercules, Xena, Baywatch, etc.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IIRC, VIP bombed pretty badly and they really amped up the sex factor to try and save the show. Like Pam's character going undercover as a stripper and a bikini model.

I can remember Shannon Tweed did a cameo

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't Sting appear on Walker Texas Ranger? Bret Hart too?
Piper, Hogan and Savage all had different guest spots I believe. Not sure of the others off the top of my head.
Now I want a shoot interview w/ 82 year old Chuck Norris to hear about when he was a fan of wrasslin'. Put it on Fox News if that what it takes to get Norris to agree.

Off topic, but Norris is part of my 9/11 memories as he went on Fox News within a short time of the attacks (Days? Hours?) as a celebrity voice to react and support right wing stuff. Chuck made sure to say something like "As soon as I heard of the attacks I rushed to my TV and put on Fox News".

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Jesus, I just saw some pics of what Pam wore in some episodes of VIP. Even 1998 Sable would have been like "You slut!"
Another late entry into the trashy Saturday afternoon syndication shows with Renegade, Hercules, Xena, Baywatch, etc.
How dare you call XENA trashy... With that said, SyFy's been re-airing the series early in the morning!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Surprised no one brought up CBS Block Party. CBS' awkward attempt at appealing to young people, where they poached half of the TGIF lineup, signed Bronson Pinchot to do a stupid genie sitcom, and uh...produced an understated sitcom starring Gregory Hines (that's more like '90s CBS!)

Appealing to young people by bringing in Family Matters and Step By Step might have worked 4 or 5 years earlier but they gave off strong "This show is still on!?" energy by '97.

CBS poaching those shows (and Balki! And um, legendary tap dancer Gregory Hines?) really had the opposite effect on 8 year old me and my 7 year old brother! We couldn't believe those shows left TGIF for the old fogey network! We thought the TGIF shows that replaced them would last forever! Surely we remember You Wish (the other genie sitcom that came out in '97-'98 and Teen Angel for the widely beloved classics they are.

Last edited:

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Fun Old People TV Show Fact: Andy Griffith was younger in the first season of Matlock than Tom Cruise is now.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I'm actually curious if we have any posters here older or approaching Andy Griffith Matlock age. Gotta be some getting close.