Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Gay Marriage + LGBT General News and Discussion Thread - Part 2

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is this going to be our country from now on? Democrats are in charge so we walk forward then Republicans take over and we sweep backwards?

I mean I guess it might have been happening in this country since the beginning, but now I'm more aware of it due to my age and such. Still it feels like it's been really jarring the amount of going backwards we're doing since the election.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
New York Top Court Gets First Openly Gay Judge

"Mid-level appeals court judge Paul Feinman was elevated Wednesday to the state Court of Appeals, with the state Senate unanimously confirming him less than a week after Gov. Andrew Cuomo nominated him for the post.

Feinman, who previously served in the Appellate Division in Manhattan, will fill the lone vacancy on the seven-member Court of Appeals, which was created by the April death of Judge Sheila Abdus-Salaam."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-christian-right-has-a-new-strategy-on-gay-marriage/

"Colorado bakery owner named Jack Phillips is a devout Christian who closes his shop on Sundays and refuses to take business that he says violates his religious beliefs — including making cakes celebrating Halloween, atheism and “any form of marriage other than between a husband and a wife.” In doing so, he is defying his state’s anti-discrimination law, and the Supreme Court will now hear oral arguments on whether he has the right to do so.

The case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, represents a pivotal new legal strategy for the Christian conservative movement grounded in religious liberty claims rather than arguments that the law should reflect their values.

The issue of “religious liberty” has become an increasingly high priority for the broader conservative Christian population, particularly white evangelical Protestants, who are overwhelmingly politically conservative and traditionally seen as the core of the Christian right."

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cake.jpg

take out the probably. The only other ones I found when I googled it were just big "A''s that looked homemade so i really don't think this is a thing.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sometimes the Oklahoma in me comes out and I wonder why most LGBT people don't just go to a different bakery? Then I remember I'm a straight white male so I can't identify at all and I quickly shut that Oklahoma line of thinking down when I realize that.

I feel like some business savvy person needs a national chain of gay friendly bakeries. They can even have a tagline like 'We bake cakes for straight people too!"

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Sometimes the Oklahoma in me comes out and I wonder why most LGBT people don't just go to a different bakery? Then I remember I'm a straight white male so I can't identify at all and I quickly shut that Oklahoma line of thinking down when I realize that.

I feel like some business savvy person needs a national chain of gay friendly bakeries. They can even have a tagline like 'We bake cakes for straight people too!"

Some of it is two fold

1: Small town which may only have a single bakery as an option. Most of these "religious freedom" bakeries, to me, tend to seem like they're from areas where they may be the only bakery available.
2: The initial patron(s) may not realize said bakery doesn't cater to them before they request a cake or whatever. Only afterwards they learn the owner doesn't want their business (which seems so stupid on a financial level... yeah, let's reject $$ in my pocket) and they spread the word/spotlight the business as one so that others don't make the same mistake.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://attitude.co.uk/article/17046/young-queer-people-shouldnt-be-obliged-to-care-about-lgbt-history-and-thats-the-biggest-sign-of-success-there-is-opinion/

What an incredibly uneducated and disrespectful (and poorly written) statement to make.

Gay Twitter is raking the author over the coals, and rightfully so.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/06/asia/india-gay-sex-ruling-intl/index.html

India's Supreme Court has struck down a colonial-era law criminalizing consensual gay sex, overturning more than 150 years of anti-LGBT legislation.

The court announced the landmark verdict in Delhi on Thursday, as jubilant crowds cheered and rights activists hugged one another, overcome with emotion.
Section 377, an archaic law imposed during British rule that penalized intercourse "against the order of nature," had carried a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
The decision to repeal the law is a major victory for India's LGBT activists and supporters after years of determined struggle.

Big step forward here and it's really cool seeing how happy and excited people are.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ugh.. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-kayla-kenney-birthday-rainbow-cake-shirt-expelled-kentucky-school-20200114-hqfabqeenbedppwks2uxra56ki-story.html

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FDA has rolled back the restrictions that have prevented gay & bisexual men (and a lot of trans folks) from donating blood.

Awesome news but GD...did you have to wait until a global pandemic to make it?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/dominicholden/coronavirus-fda-gay-men-blood-ban
Edit: I guess I haven't donated blood in a while. Last time I donated it was you couldn't donate if you had sex with a man in the past 20 years. It was knocked down 1 year in 2015 and 3 months today.

So still pretty homophobic!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
A ton of my LGBTQ+ friends always donated blood and didn't give a fuck about the restrictions. I mean, they test the blood anyway, right? So I don't get why this has always been an issue.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seriously, the blood is tested regardless, you're correct, so it's a stupid rule likely enacted by initially religious influences.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Bernie Bro Kamala said:
FDA has rolled back the restrictions that have prevented gay & bisexual men (and a lot of trans folks) from donating blood.

Awesome news but GD...did you have to wait until a global pandemic to make it?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/dominicholden/coronavirus-fda-gay-men-blood-ban
Edit: I guess I haven't donated blood in a while. Last time I donated it was you couldn't donate if you had sex with a man in the past 20 years. It was knocked down 1 year in 2015 and 3 months today.

So still pretty homophobic!

P. understandable imo, back in the 80s AIDS was incurable but nowadays it goes away in 6-8 weeks. I commend the FDA for adjusting to the times.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's not understandable because it implies that it's a "gay disease", which beyond ridiculous.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://gen.medium.com/an-anti-gay-crusader-and-her-gay-son-were-making-it-work-then-came-trump-84301547daec

Meet the Mason family: Matthew, a gay activist, Mylinda, his anti-gay adoptive mom, and Kristi, his biological mom. Last summer, Mylinda held a “straight-pride” rally in Modesto, CA.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Genderqueer woman was badly beaten in a grocery store parking lot yesterday and called a "homosexual" by a local business owner over a minor parking faux pas. I thought Portland, Maine was better than this but apparently not. Ugh.

Assaulter's business has big contract in the city and didn't get arrested at the scene cause he's friends with the PD. Big oof all around.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Update: UK knocked it down today too.