Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Get your ass on your phone and fix your fucking twitter right now! Part 3

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
That'd still make her older than Thunder Rosa's son, when he made his debut, yeah? Or Saraya, for that matter. And isn't there some girl who's been wrestling for a couple of years, and only just graduated high school a few weeks ago?

EDIT - Billie Starkz, that's who I was thinking of.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That'd still make her older than Thunder Rosa's son, when he made his debut, yeah? Or Saraya, for that matter. And isn't there some girl who's been wrestling for a couple of years, and only just graduated high school a few weeks ago?

EDIT - Billie Starkz, that's who I was thinking of.
I'm not arguing that there's plenty of talent who started under 18 (Rey Mysterio Jr. and Mark Briscoe immediately come to mind), but it seems exploitative in a way that I can't say I'm too comfortable with these days.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Yeah it's the Rance thing and the fact her parents had no issue with it more than being a minor training to wrestle.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that there's plenty of talent who started under 18 (Rey Mysterio Jr. and Mark Briscoe immediately come to mind), but it seems exploitative in a way that I can't say I'm too comfortable with these days.
I can definitely understand having reservations about her being trained by a creep. In the macro, though, what's the difference between a sixteen year-old working as a wrassler/wrassler in training, and having a part-time job at McDonald's? Do we believe that she's going to go and tour Japan at sixteen, or something? If she ends up just working local shows on the weekends, what's the big deal?

Laz

Reaction score
I think there's a considerable difference between "drop some fries in the fryerlator" and "take this move that can break your neck if you don't tuck your chin in," personally.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Competitive gymnastics is probably a more apt comparison. I’m not completely opposed to teenagers involved in wrestling, but you need to have STRICT standards in place as a trainer. No unsupervised training, checks and balances to ensure ethical relationships, an agent/advocate to manage bookings and ensure fair treatment.

I wouldn’t trust the business for anyone who doesn’t have a caregiver already in the industry.

Laz

Reaction score
@alkeiper That's a fair comparison. I just have this real worry that her profile as a superfan at such a young age is going to open her up to all sorts of scumbags.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust the business for anyone who doesn’t have a caregiver already in the industry.
That’s why I’m fine with Nick Wayne and Billie Starks wrestling as teenagers. Their parents are both involved in the business. I don’t get the sense that they’re reckless kids burning both ends of the candle.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can definitely understand having reservations about her being trained by a creep. In the macro, though, what's the difference between a sixteen year-old working as a wrassler/wrassler in training, and having a part-time job at McDonald's? Do we believe that she's going to go and tour Japan at sixteen, or something? If she ends up just working local shows on the weekends, what's the big deal?
I don't know how your McD's works but I don't see anyone get dropped on their head repeatedly at mine. Wrestling as much as we all love it is one of the most scummy businesses out there, with zero regulation and oversight. Al's gymnastics comparison works much better but even they have more oversight than wrestling does.