Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Interesting Rarely Known Sports Facts/Tidbits Thread

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I always love when I can find things like this. 218 BBWAA writers predict the standings of the 1982 MLB season.

1982 predictions.jpg

Four writers predicted the Atlanta Braves would win the NL West, only one predicted the Reds would finish in the basement. Most writers figured the Oakland A's would repeat as AL West kings, but that team crashed and burned. The Blue Jays tied for sixth place so they kind of escaped last. The Yankees finished fifth, predicted by two writers and the Seattle Mariners finished fourth, also predicted by two writers.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The funny thing about the Red Sox is their pitching was bolstered by 3 relievers pitching out of their minds: Tom Burgmeier (7-0, 190 ERA+), Mark Clear (14-9, 145 ERA+), and Bob Stanley (12-7, 140 ERA+). Their best starter, Eckersley, went 13-13 while John Tudor went 13-10. They also had Wade Boggs up during the year who would play out of his mind as a rookie hitting .349 in 104 games when only 2 of their core starting hitters hit over .300 (Carney Lansford and Jim Rice).

alkeiper

Reaction score
Stanley finished 33 games and entered games in the 9th inning (or later) twice. He never started a game but qualified for the ERA title.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Last year 38 middle infielders (2B/SS) hit 10+ home runs. Nineteen hit 20+.

In 1972 three middle infielders hit 10+. None hit 20. Joe Morgan, Chris Speier and Bobby Grich.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I was tempted to do a 100th anniversary simulation of the 1922 Phillies, but that was not a terribly inspiring team or season. The Phillies were widely predicted to finish last and shocked the baseball world when they finished *gasp* seventh!

I came across the 1928 Philadelphia A's. That team almost knocked off the murderer's row Yankees for the pennant and did beat them in 1929. The A's had a half game lead at the end of play on September 8 but dropped three of four to the Yankees and finished 2.5 out. I noticed the A's could not have been helped by the schedule which saw them play their last 24 games on the road! They would not have seen much sympathy from the Yankees who finished with fifteen on the road. Of note, the teams played a doubleheader Sunday Sept. 9 that drew 85,265 fans to Yankee Stadium.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Baseball-Reference's Stathead added a feature to search by only All-Star seasons. Presenting the worst seasons by players named to All-Star teams.

Position Players:
1. Reggie Jackson, 1983, -1.8 WAR
2. Alfredo Griffin, 1984, -1.5 WAR
3. Biff Pocoroba, 1978, -1.1 WAR
4. Pete Rose, 1982, -1.1 WAR
5. Mickey Vernon, 1948, -1.0 WAR

Pitching:
1. Derrick Turnbow, 2006, -2.4 WAR
2. Mike Williams, 2003, -1.3 WAR
3. Dick Stigman, 1960, -1.3 WAR
4. Jim Coates, 1960, -1.2 WAR
5. Joe Page, 1946, -1.2 WAR

Turnbow had a breakout season in 2005 and looked good in the first three months of the season. As of June 30 he had 23 saves and an ERA of 3.28. But Turnbow gave up three runs on July 1 without recording an out against the Twins and never looked back. From July 1 to the end of the season: 27 games, 20 2/3 IP, 22 walks, 24 strikeouts, 13.06 ERA. Turnbow always struggled with control and in the second half it just completely fell apart.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Baseball-Reference's Stathead added a feature to search by only All-Star seasons. Presenting the worst seasons by players named to All-Star teams.

Position Players:
1. Reggie Jackson, 1983, -1.8 WAR
2. Alfredo Griffin, 1984, -1.5 WAR
3. Biff Pocoroba, 1978, -1.1 WAR
4. Pete Rose, 1982, -1.1 WAR
5. Mickey Vernon, 1948, -1.0 WAR

Pitching:
1. Derrick Turnbow, 2006, -2.4 WAR
2. Mike Williams, 2003, -1.3 WAR
3. Dick Stigman, 1960, -1.3 WAR
4. Jim Coates, 1960, -1.2 WAR
5. Joe Page, 1946, -1.2 WAR

Turnbow had a breakout season in 2005 and looked good in the first three months of the season. As of June 30 he had 23 saves and an ERA of 3.28. But Turnbow gave up three runs on July 1 without recording an out against the Twins and never looked back. From July 1 to the end of the season: 27 games, 20 2/3 IP, 22 walks, 24 strikeouts, 13.06 ERA. Turnbow always struggled with control and in the second half it just completely fell apart.
I'm curious who were the worst All-Stars by their first half stats?

alkeiper

Reaction score
Random All Star tidbits.

Worst position player to make TWO All Star games: Hal Wagner. 2.6 bWAR. Catcher for the Philadelphia A's and Boston Red Sox in the '40s.
Worst position player to make THREE All Star Games: Birdie Tebbetts and Rollie Hemsley. 3.9 bWAR. Both catchers.

Worst pitcher to make TWO All Star games: Blue Moon Odom, 2.2 bWAR. That just does not feel right.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With the loss on Saturday, Coach K finished his career with a .500 record against UNC. I guess it is a pretty good rivalry.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So that would mean that they've never had a winning season in Sacramento with someone other than Rick Adelman as coach.

It's a wonder why that city fought so hard to keep their NBA team but I guess it's not like they have a lot going on otherwise. Based on the past decade, there's an argument to be made that they've surpassed the Clippers as most incompetent NBA franchise of all time.

Edit- Then again, at least the SacKings (and TWolves) have made a Conference Finals so maybe the Clippers will stay as the biggest SEWER FRANCHISE in the NBA until they can win a Conference Semi-Finals.

Edit x2- I forgot the Clippers made the Conference Finals LAST YEAR. FORGETFUL KAMALA! So the SacKings still might be MOST SEWER FRANCHISE!

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Edit- Then again, at least the SacKings (and TWolves) have made a Conference Finals so maybe the Clippers will stay as the biggest SEWER FRANCHISE in the NBA until they can win a Conference Semi-Finals.

The Timberwolves have won two playoff series in their entire franchise history, and both of them happened in the same season. Their franchise winning percentage is .399. "Most sewer franchise" is relative.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Patriots Center Dan Koppen was reportedly ranked 18th on their big board in 2003 but fell to the 5th Round, being selected 164th overall(!)

A very fun "mock draft" from 2001 with the Patriots taking WR Koren Robinson at 6, Richard Seymour falling to Green Bay at 10, Philadelphia taking WR Chad Johnson at 25(!), Miami taking QB Drew Brees at 26, and Oakland taking TE Todd Heap at 28.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
In a fun what could've been scenario... Green Bay was eyeing WR Desmond Howard with the 5th Pick in the 1992 NFL Draft. "Washington decided not to risk that Green Bay would pass on Howard, offering the Cincinnati Bengals their two first-round picks, at 6 and 28, and their third-round pick (84th overall) for their 4th selection, leapfrogging the Packers."

Always love hearing the stories of teams leapfrogging others for specific players. Patriots taking RB Curtis Martin over Belichick & the Browns is one of the more infamous/well-known examples IMO.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I love collecting old NFL Draft preview magazines. I have some Green Bay Press Gazette's saved from the late 90s/early 2000s too.

I recall they had the Packers taking DE Marceilus Wiley 1st one year (He went to Bills and later Chargers IIRC and was pretty solid).
And the paper actually nailed the S Antwan Edwards pick the year Ron Wolf freaked out and went DB for the top 3 picks to try and find a Randy Moss antidote. (Editor's note - He failed. Edwards was meh, Fred Vinson was traded a year or 2 later for something good that I can't recall off the top of my head and Mike McKensie was solid for a few years until he flaked out and was traded to the Saints.)
Packers had let Doug Evans go to Carolina and Craig Newsome's knee exploded.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was able to learn how to read Tim Duncan's Wikipedia entry and found a fun/impressive fact. Tim Duncan won NBA Rookie of the Month every month of his season. I was curious if anyone else had accomplished that and turns out it's not *that* rare of an accomplishment. Ralph Sampson was first, incidentally Timmy's mentor David Robinson was 2nd, both LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony did in '03-'04, Chris Paul did in '05-'06, Blake Griffin in '10-'11, Damian Lillard in 2012-13, KAT in 2015-16 and Luka Doncic in 2018-19.

Kevin Durant almost accomplished it but Luis Scola beat him one month LOL. Josh Giddey almost accomplished it last season but Jalen Green beat him for Western Conference Rookie of the Month in March.

alkeiper

Reaction score
From a Roger Angell article. Rob Piccolo. In 1989 Piccolo came to bat 267 times through September 30 and drew zero walks. October 1st he drew a walk and fell short of a perfect season. Piccolo actually managed to go the ‘84 season without a walk in 128 plate appearances.

The best list I could create of walkless streaks.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was just reminded today that the Town of Foxboro banned the New England Patriots from hosting Monday Night Football from 1981 to 1995 because Pats fans got so drunk and unruly during night games. Take that, Philadelphia!

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know when it ended or if it still exists but the Jets had a similar rule where they wouldn't play 4 PM games on Sundays because the crowds were too rowdy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember Tom Brady talking about how a 4 PM game would give fans plenty of time to get drunk and rowdy before the game like 5-10 years ago. Now though at least there's other stuff to do before Pats games. Before Patriots Place, literally your only pregame activity option was getting hammered.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports question that doesn't warrant a thread...

Is Phoenix the most unsuccessful sports city in the USA? AFAIK, only one of their teams has won one championship ('01 Diamondbacks). Am I forgetting somewhere?