Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
That group includes Alfonso Soriano, Joe Carter, Don Baylor and Steve Finley. He's near the bottom of the list in most categories. It's a nice, full resume, but I don't think it's a convincing Hall of Fame argument in its own right. That is not to say McCutchen is not a candidate. He won an MVP, he's someone I hold in high esteem. The problem I see is in career WAR McCutchen is in a group that includes Ellis Burks, Bernie Williams, Curtis Granderson, Torii Hunter, Vada Pinson, Cesar Cedeno, Mike Cameron, Devon White, Fred Lynn, Steve Finley, Amos Otis. You have to give McCutchen every advantage you can to elevate him from that group.
Of that group, I'd probably take at least Bernie, Torii, Mike Cameron, Devon White, and Fred Lynn over McCutchen but several of those are a result of their defensive capabilities too.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Francisco Alvarez has a torn ligament in his thumb and will be out 6-8 weeks.

Realistically won't be back till post All Star break

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
White Sox are at the point where you flash the no-hitter alert once they reach the second inning.
It’s April 21 and they’re 12.5 games out.

The Astros are 7-16. Not an insurmountable deficit, they’re only 4.5 out of the division oddly. But they’re last in the league in runs allowed and that has to be concerning.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The White Sox have scored 45 runs this season. Shutout 7 times.

Next lowest scoring team is the A's at 63

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All time record for most times being shut out during the season is the 1908 St. Louie Cardinals with 33.

White Sox are on pace to be shutout 59 times!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They’re offering $29 ticket and a beer promotion for Red Sox Vs Giants next Thursday. Beer probably accounts for more of the cost of that ticket that than the game.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
The '88 Orioles started 1-23. Three teams started the season 3-21. The 2024 White Sox, the 2022 Reds and the 2003 Tigers. Surprisingly none of those teams reached the playoffs.

Looking up those teams did show me the 1969 Houston Astros. Started the season 4-20. They proceeded to go 20-6 in May. They peaked in September at 75-65, reached as close as two games of the division lead and ultimately finished 81-81.

And of course you have the 1914 Boston Braves. 5-18 (one tie). Won the World Series.