Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Recommend a show others might not know about.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
Lucy: The Daughter of the Devil, is a pretty awesome show from the co-creator of Home Movies (and even has a bunch of the same voices.) Adult Swim needs to give it a second season already, because its awesome.

Also, more people need to watch Delocated.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
daileyxplanet said:
I've seen the majority of the first season of Nip/Tuck.

You can quit after the 2nd season.

Season 1, great
Season 2, good
Season 3, meh
Seasons 4 & 5, very very bad

As long as you don't mind playing with history. The Tudors has some good stuff

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
bps21 said:
Everyone should go out and buy Wonderfalls on DVD. A great great great show that lasted less than a year on (you guessed it) Fox.

Another Friday night death-slot show. I bought the DVD when it came out, being that they only aired 4 or 5 episodes. The show sadly doesn't hold up as well a second time through.

Playmakers on ESPN was a lot of fun, but they buckled when the NFL told them to take it off the air.

I started In Treatment from my on demand, but Comcast moved the earlier episodes out super fast and I couldn't get rolling on it.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Oh man, I loved Playmakers, I'd totally forgotten about that show. The best dramatic programming ESPN has ever done IMO.

Which also reminds me, kind of off topic, anyone remember Hustle? I'm sure you do because ESPN devoted countless hours to promoting it. I still quote that movie, it was so stupid and over the top hilarious!

Random, I liked Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Not sure why exactly because I'm not a Sorkin fanboy, Sportsnight was good as far as watching the repeats on Comedy Central, I never watched West Wing, and I never watched Friends so I wasn't a fan of the lead actor guy. I liked the show though, I wish it had got a second season.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Playmakers was a little silly that they went out of their way to give every single main character an individual sad ending, but it was a lot of fun. Sadly ESPN hasn't been able to come close to doing anything like that since.

Beast

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mr. Show is the funniest show I've ever watched. I've seen each episode numerous times and it's still funnier than most DVDs I have. David Cross, Bob Odenkirk, Paul F Tompkins, Brian Posehn, Tom Kenny, Jay Johnston, plus numerous other people recognizable to people who watch shows like Arrested Development and The Sarah Silverman Program. It was on HBO from 1995 to 1998, there's 30 episodes and it blows sketch shows like SNL out of the water. It's an American Monty Python. The commentary on the DVD's is at times funnier than the actual show and that's saying something. Invaluable comedic DVDs. I find myself quoting random lines from episodes/sketches all the times. If you haven't seen it, you'll probably end up recognizing some lines or sketches or characters just by the fact that people love it and have quoted it before.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Undeclared doesn't nearly as much love as Judd Apatow's other beloved, cancelled before its time show Freaks & Geeks but I'm in the minority that thinks its just as good. Though in a completely different way. I still maintain that Jason Segel's best work was on that show.

sivy

Integral Poster
Reaction score
a show in which many would't have watch is an aussie drama called underbelly. Series 1 is based on the gangland wars based in melbourne between 1995 and 2004. what makes it more interesting if you don't know what happened in the wars knowing everything you seen actually happened. currently the second series is being showned which is based on another era of the 70's through to the 80's. both series are full of sex and brutal deaths. very gripping and very recommened.
series 1
NBN - Underbelly Promo #1, 2007

series 2
Underbelly - A Tale of two cities - extended promo 2

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nightwing said:
Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. VERY short run, but hilarious. Parody of those 1980's shows, especially those with the pretentious "genius" writers.
I just watched the first episode of this, and it was amazing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. On the subject of non American television...

Thanks to DirecTV, a friend of mine has gotten me into Trailer Park Boys. I know it was hyped up a lot a few years ago, but if you never saw it back then, it's worth looking for. I'm also glad to see Undeclared getting some love in this thread.

Reaction score
Precious Roy said:
I'm a HUGE Home Movies fan, it's brilliant, but it seems to be one of those shows that a lot of people don't "get" for whatever reason, the few people I've gotten to watch it had very blah reactions to it

I'm a big fan myself, and I've noticed the same thing when showing it to other people; I think it's because the humor is just so dry, that it's hard to get in to; I myself didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it grew on me majorly.

Also, Trailer Park Boys. I dunno how well this show is known outside of Canada, but it's a comedy show, done in a mockumentary style, about Ricky and Julian, who live in a trailer park. Pretty much every season starts with them getting out of jail, then planning some scheme to make money with their buddy Bubbles, and it goes from there. Each season has an individual arc to it, but there's only seven seasons, and they don't have many episodes per season - it ranges from like, 6-10 episodes.

I find the show funny as all hell, and I love the style of it. It's one of those shows where they don't have exact lines written, so they sorta ad-lib as they go. Really vulgar, but funny.

muzzington

Donald Dump or whatever
Reaction score
I'm glad you suggested Underbelly. Honestly, I can't think of many Aussie programs I'd recommend the rest of the world watch, because most are very average.

Although if you can, check out anything Shaun Micallef related.

sivy

Integral Poster
Reaction score
agreed but underbelly feels like an american product to be honset.

S

stillnaive

friday night lights is my guilty pleasure. sure, it sounds like a jock show, but it's really a teen drama -- and a damn good one at that.

the unit is also a great show, imo. a lot of action, and the characters are well developed (although some of the women are kinda annoying and the tiffy-col ryan storyline puts me on tilt to no end)

Reaction score
The Metal Maniac said:
Precious Roy said:
I'm a HUGE Home Movies fan, it's brilliant, but it seems to be one of those shows that a lot of people don't "get" for whatever reason, the few people I've gotten to watch it had very blah reactions to it

I'm a big fan myself, and I've noticed the same thing when showing it to other people; I think it's because the humor is just so dry, that it's hard to get in to; I myself didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it grew on me majorly.

I caught Home Movies one time at like 4 am on Adult Swim and loved it. It's really funny and didn't even know it existed until recently.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Plain Sight is a pretty good show (new season starting up in couple weeks btw).

S

stillnaive

this one might not be something you don't know about, but any true future marine would be negligent to not mention Generation Kill, the HBO miniseries. i'd highly recommend reading the accompanying book, and also One Bullet Away, which was written by the Alpha's Lieutenant, Nate Fick.