Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Yeah, I still haven't gotten tired of Michael Cera so I'll definitely see this. Schwartzman and Anna Kendrick doesn't hurt either.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I've always meant to read the comic and dug the first trailer months ago. The new trailer looks pretty damn good too. I'm in.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've enjoyed all of Edgar Wright's work so far, but I think I'm one of the few people that has no interest in this. The trailers don't really get me excited for the movie at all. Looks like a generic teen romantic comedy with some video game ADD thrown in.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was already sold with first trailer. I'm solder.

There's a rumor that the Ramona vs. Knives Chau (Age 17) fight is longer and more badass than in the book.

OG

OG
Reaction score
This looks bad. I like Edgar Wright but this seems like the usual loser nerd gets the girl Michael Cera movie with, like someone said, fights and video game crap thrown in.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone cannot see the awesomeness in this.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
O.G. said:
This looks bad. I like Edgar Wright but this seems like the usual loser nerd gets the girl Michael Cera movie with, like someone said, fights and video game crap thrown in.

From what I understand, the character of Scott Pilgrim is Michael Cera to a tee.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
wallace_pee.jpg

HSJ said:
From what I understand, the character of Scott Pilgrim is Michael Cera to a tee.

I'd argue that the graphic novel Scott is way more often dumb-confident than Cera seems to be projecting. However, I think the rest of the casting is great.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
luke-o said:
As good as the trailer is, you've got to read the books to really get Scott Pilgrim.

I get it, Michael Cera falls in love, wants to date a chick, but has to fight off her evil ex-boyfriends in 1960's Batman style. Still don't get it. I guess it's just not my thing.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's hardly 1960's Batman style, dude. Yeah its got bells and whistles from the videogame stuff.. but the Seven Evil Ex's thing and the fighting is pretty clearly inspired by classic Kung Fu movies - ie: Five Deadly Venoms..

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
dubq said:
It's hardly 1960's Batman style, dude. Yeah its got bells and whistles from the videogame stuff.. but the Seven Evil Ex's thing and the fighting is pretty clearly inspired by classic Kung Fu movies - ie: Five Deadly Venoms..

I was being sarcastic with that one, mainly from the "Pow" "Boom" type of cartoon balloons/characters.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
dubq said:
I wonder if he also hated Kick Ass and Zombieland?

Didn't see Kick Ass and I didn't like Zombieland. Outside of Woody Harrelson, I just didn't care about the characters. The girls were pretty horrible written and I was waiting for them to die, and I just couldn't get into Jesse Eisenberg's character.

OG

OG
Reaction score
I loved Zombieland and enjoyed Kick Ass but Zombieland had the bonus of Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg is much less annoying than Michael Cera.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Canadian Destroyer213 said:
dubq said:
Of course.

I'm sorry, we all have enjoy all the same movies as you do, don't we?

Hey, I'm just saying that explains it. If you didn't like Zombieland then I could see you not liking this.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
dubq said:
dubq said:
Of course.

I'm sorry, we all have enjoy all the same movies as you do, don't we?

Hey, I'm just saying that explains it. If you didn't like Zombieland then I could see you not liking this.

Fair enough.

The more I read about the more I'm curious about it. I like a lot of the cast, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
luke-o said:
As good as the trailer is, you've got to read the books to really get Scott Pilgrim.

I get it, Michael Cera falls in love, wants to date a chick, but has to fight off her evil ex-boyfriends in 1960's Batman style. Still don't get it. I guess it's just not my thing.

What I mean is, by reading the book you get a feel for what the world they live in is like. Watching this trailer it looks like a bizzare film with some odd moments, but if you've read the book it makes total sense.

On a side note, I can't believe he kept the "subspace" part of the book in. That would have been the first thing I cut since it's a bit bollocks.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If it had been anyone else other than Michael Cera..dammit.
Michael has went past my Seth Rogen go away line.

Shame really, had heard good things about the story but the lead actor eliminates it.

Sesquipedaliantique

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This material seems to fit the Edgar Wright aesthetic fairly well. I have no interest in reading Scott Pilgrim or any other comic book, but let's not lose sight of that.