Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
1-3-4-2 is my order, but 3 is actually super close to 1. I've only seen each once, twice tops (Live Free I saw in theatres and TV, the others just on TV around Christmas 2008), but I'm comfortable with that ranking.

I've been giving the Pilgrim soundtrack a lot of play on youtube lately. I prefer the Brie Larson / film version of "Black Sheep" over the Metric recording; I had no idea who Brie was until I saw this movie, but I love her "Ohhh Yeaaahh" vocals at the beginning of the song. Those aren't on the Metric version on the OST, but there is a full version of the song with Larson online thanks to some pre-order bonus video that came with the OST.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We get it, Gary Floyd.

I wanted to like this movie a lot more than I did, it just seemed like one big plea to be reviewed in a future My Year of Flops Column.

The video game shtick was cool at the beginning, but got old fast, and I just didn't care for Ramona Flowers, and it was too long. But not to worry, there was a lot to like, and I've eaten at that Pizza Pizza!

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Live Free or Die Hard is awesome, though Mary Elizabeth Winstead kind of isn't. Was always hoping they'd make a Die Hard 5.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LFoDH had the worst villain in the Die Hard series, which is rather sad considering the villain in part 2 is dreadful.

And in news that is depressing, Vampires Suck is going to finish with more money than Scott Pilgrim. I'm not even sure how to handle that and I don't like Cera at all. No one deserves that fate.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's not surprising, since Vampires Suck is much more accessible. During Scott Pilgrim I kept thinking, who would see this movie?

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Concerning Michael, Has his Superbad shine officially worn off now do you think Bob or will someone still believe he is a draw to audiences? It just seems like every film he is in lately is a crash and burn *minus Juno of course*. Not money losing crash and burn (well, except this one) but it just doesn't bring in a crowd.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scott Pilgrim has proven that the name Michael Cera can not sell a movie, given that Pilgrim and Youth in Revolt were basically star vehicles for him.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
I think he will still get starring roles-just not in big studio pictures like this. You know, in stuff like Indie move roles or maybe an animated Dreamworks movie. I'm not surprised that this didn't do good in the box office, especially with this not being the best summer as far as wide releases are concerned.

Vigo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2GOLD said:
Concerning Michael, Has his Superbad shine officially worn off now do you think Bob or will someone still believe he is a draw to audiences? It just seems like every film he is in lately is a crash and burn *minus Juno of course*. Not money losing crash and burn (well, except this one) but it just doesn't bring in a crowd.

I wouldn't have even let Cera sell a movie after Superbad as people didn't go to see it for him. I don't recall anyone saying, wow that Cera kid is going to be a star after seeing it. The guy needs to find a new gimmick because being Michael Cera as Michael Cera in every movie doesn't seem to be working.

ericmm

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder how the eventual Arrested Development movie will have any bearing on this "Michael Cera a star(?)" thing.

Ironically he put off making that movie because he thought he was too good for the role now, and wanted to make "his own" movies, if I recall correctly.

I don't even know if he had Scott Pilgrim in the can at this point, it was all Juno, Superbad, and Year One...

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Arrested Development movie, if made, might make $50 million domestic. And that's a big might. There's always money in the banana stand, though.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ericmm said:
I wonder how the eventual Arrested Development movie will have any bearing on this "Michael Cera a star(?)" thing.

Ironically he put off making that movie because he thought he was too good for the role now, and wanted to make "his own" movies, if I recall correctly.

I don't even know if he had Scott Pilgrim in the can at this point, it was all Juno, Superbad, and Year One...

The Arrested Development movie won't make any money, and he would be smart to turn it down. I'll believe the movie when I see it

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I finally saw this tonight at the dollar theater and was bowled over. I can only imagine the feelings I got from it were akin to the feelings of the few people who saw Buckaroo Banzai in theaters.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's a shame they won't be making movies like this a few years from now.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Saban Warfare said:
It's a shame they won't be making movies like this a few years from now.
I actually think it's a good thing that they probably won't be ripping this movie off. It's a really, really good movie that has its own unique style, which is a very rare thing in this day and age. Can you honestly say that you can look back at The Matrix now as fond as you would have had the wire-fu and bullet-time effects not been done to death immediately afterward? Because Scott Pilgrim was a financial bomb in theaters, I can't see many studios allowing directors to take the risks to make another movie like it for a while, which can only help Scott Pilgrim stand out even more.

I'm guessing it gets a DVD release just in time for Black Friday.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm saying original movies like this are dying out in favor of the crap they shovel out that more people are willing to eat up or, confusingly, just go see as if they're being forced.

chave

Active Poster
Reaction score
I was massively disappointed by this. I got the references, I liked the music and visuals, but it just had no heart and Cera was pretty terrible.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was all heart, and he was great (but "ugly" according to the little kids behind me).

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seriously though, once they killed the lesbian I realized the whole thing was a metaphor about growing up in the 90s and having bullshit relationship problems because everyone is stupid and so busy trying to present themselves as something they're not based on something they thought was cool in a video game or movie or book or TV show, and that resonated with me, sadly.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've watched this movie half a dozen times on cable in the past year. It's freakin' awesome. I'm still a little uncomfortable with how Knives Chau basically got thrown under the bus several times, but otherwise it's a damn fine picture.