Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Something's wrong with Ric Flair

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
This lady is Flair's manager and she's asking for prayers for him: https://twitter.com/LegacyTalentCEO/status/896947433061699584
Story here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/calls-for-prayers-as-ric-flair-deals-with-tough-medical-issues/news-story/77ccbe30dd9fb12d9ea89ce64f2b50b0

Get well soon Ric.

Staff member
Reaction score
He's in the intensive care unit.

I'm trying not to think about this right now.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Given his heavy alcohol use, I didn't think he'd live to be this long to be honest. I'm hoping it's something that he can rebound from and get out the ICU soon with no long term effects.

Staff member
Reaction score
His heart is failing and considering he's a massive alcoholic he won't get a new one.

I am not prepared to deal with this.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew this would happen sooner or later but now that its happening its shocking cant imagine the world without ric flair.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Certainly hope he pulls through, but living a fast life for so many years will definitely catch up to you.

About as iconic as it gets. If something bad does in fact happen, there's going to be a celebration of the life of the Naitch all over ESPN, news, etc.

Hopefully not this week, though. Just some day in the future.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently he's been put in a medically induced coma. This is terrible

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Neither of the last 2 posts sounds good at all :(

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When you're his age, with his history and health troubles, and you're sedated into a coma before surgery, all I can say is that you're in some dire straits.

Staff member
Reaction score
A Happy Medium said:
When you're his age, with his history and health troubles, and you're sedated into a coma before surgery, all I can say is that you're in some dire straits.

They can put a pacemaker in and he can live a few more years, but he can't drink anymore. He'd probably rather be dead.

StGabe

St. Gabe
Reaction score
Based on the chain of events, my assumption is a series of heart attacks. My mother passed away about a year ago, and this was the exact chain of events:

Chest Pain prolonged for days
Admission to hospital for testing
1 Heart Attack in Hospital
Morphine administered
2nd Heart attack in hospital
Coma induced
Surgery to repair damage
Never regained consciousness
3rd heart attack
Death

Not saying that's what has happened, it just feels really similar. May be my own shit, though.

Sending positive vibes to the guy and his family.

Shit's hard.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Ok, if no one else is gonna bring this up, I will:

Are we seriously going to mourn the death of Ric Flair at the same time as condemning acts of racism in Chrottesburg?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Well, speaking for myself, I will be "mourning" Flair's loss less than I will be empathizing and sympathizing with those he leaves behind.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Flair is my all time favorite wrestler and someone I've watched almost all my life so I'll be mourning a piece of my childhood dying.

Hopefully he pulls through and we don't have to do any of that for a while.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
If we can't mourn wrestlers who are scumbags then the list of ones we can is going to be real real short.

Flair is apparently out of surgery but still in serious condition.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flair's management says the surgery wasn't heart related.

Gene Okerlund claiming he had colon surgery

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
tumblr_on8mw8iit71ro8ysbo1_500.gif

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
pujoljunkie said:
Ok, if no one else is gonna bring this up, I will:

Are we seriously going to mourn the death of Ric Flair at the same time as condemning acts of racism in Chrottesburg?

Yes. Absolutely. And if anybody cannot tell the difference between an individual who has racist feelings in his heart and those who act on those feelings, beat people, and kill people based on those feelings...then, um...well, I don't know what to tell you. Except to quote what that one guy in Backdraft said to that other guy in Backdraft: "Youre doing it wrong."

The people who want Robert Lee statues torn down dont also want Lee's remains dug up to be shit on. There is a difference, it is huge, and it is important.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I don't think it's about racist feelings in his heart so much as donating a shitload of money to a guy who might as well have been in the KKK:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=18624

And, of course, the real star of tonight's show -- a truly great North Carolinian with an unparalleled record of success, loved by his fans, feared by his opponents. You all know him -- professional wrestler Ric "Nature Boy" Flair, down here. Ric, I was thinking you ought to team up with my friend, the Chairman of the national Fitness Council, Arnold Schwarzenegger. You know, Conan the Republican. [Laughter] And maybe the two of you could bench-press the Federal budget. I'm glad you're here.

I would love to think it was cool that Ric got that kind of praise in his prime from the president of the USA but he was there because he donated lots of money to Jesse Helms, whom he supported at other times in his career as they were such good friends.

But the real Jesse Helms oozed out nearly every time he opened his mouth to slander those who didn’t agree with him. He claimed “crime rates and irresponsibility among Negroes are a fact of life which must be faced” in a 1981 New York Times interview, and in 1963 asked, “Are civil rights only for Negroes? White women in Washington who have been raped and mugged on the streets in broad daylight have experienced the most revolting sort of violation of their civil rights.”

Beyond his hateful words, Helms’ bigotry was shown by his political aims. He led the opposition to the federal Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, supported the apartheid regime in South Africa, and consistently opposed civil rights legislation. For nearly two decades, he fought tooth and nail against expanded federal funding for AIDS research, and exploited gays and lesbians as convenient scapegoats in his constant fear-mongering crusade.

Some of those things he did in office thanks to winning campaigns that Ric donated to.

In North Carolina historian Tim Tyson’s biography of civil rights leader Robert Williams, head of the Monroe NAACP, Williams described watching when he was eleven years old as Mr. Jesse beat a black woman on the street, then “dragged her off to the nearby jailhouse, her dress up over her head.” He was haunted for years by the woman’s “tortured screams as the flesh was ground away from the friction of the concrete.”

Interviewed in 2005 for the documentary Senator No and asked about Monroe in the 1920s and 30s, Helms said, “In so many ways I think the relationship between the races was far better than it is now. I could give you a thousand examples of why I’m convinced of that. I don’t know of anybody who ever persecuted anybody of another race.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erik-ose/jesse-helms-shameful-lega_b_111791.html

This isn't quietly voting for a racist because of feelings in your heart. It's not even like he's a politician who had to play the game by working with Helms. He was a private citizen who liked this flaming piece of human garbage and what he stood for so much that he put his money and public image behind him on more than a few campaigns. That's disgusting, and I love Ric so it hurts me to type this post. But the best way to respect the dead is to be honest about their legacy and life choices.

Re: That 1990 campaign btw

David Duke did not invent the technique of code words. He did not make Willie Horton an issue in 1988, or invent the issue of "quotas" to obstruct a civil rights bill for two years. Jesse Helms in his 1990 campaign played on fear of affirmative action in about the same way as Mr. Duke, and George Bush endorsed Senator Helms.

President Bush is evidently beginning to regret using the racial issue. Immediately after the Louisiana primary his people said the state now had two bad choices for governor. But last week Mr. Bush forthrightly called David Duke "a charlatan" and said he would vote, if he could, for the opposing candidate, Edwin Edwards.

People speak of him like he's cut from the same cloth as David Duke.

I watched David Duke on NBC's "Meet the Press," and I was frightened. Here was a man who two years ago was selling Nazi pamphlets from his office in the Louisiana Legislature. Now he was a candidate for governor -- with a good chance to win -- and he was talking blandly about the trouble with welfare and affirmative action.

If the politics of hatred is going to take power in America at the end of the 20th century, that is the form in which it will come: not rabble-rousing but cold words and professions of Christian redemption.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/11/opinion/abroad-at-home-it-can-happen-here.html

I hate to sound like a broken record but ffs this was written in 1991 and if someone were to write a follow up in 2017 they would have to point out how things have gotten WORSE

Not putting racism and racism supporters on full blast is how that happens. Sorry, Ric. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for how he feels now, but he isn't getting off the hook for actively pushing the white supremacist agenda (and since his money was involved, it was certainly active).