Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The 2022 Box Office Thread

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Multiverse of Madness was not released in China, a lot of the Marvel movies are not at least in the last few years. I think a lot of big studios are starting to ignore China's demands because of that.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2022

Gone With The Wind is still untouchable but maybe if they come up with yet another versionof A New Hope to put out in theaters they might get there eventually.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that none of the Phase 4 movies were released in China, but I think the only one that was really hurt by that was Shang-Chi... maybe Love and Thunder, but definitely Shang-Chi, for sure. Like Wakanda Forever would have surpassed Wonder Woman's worldwide gross with a Chinese release, but it still wouldn't have hit a billion.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah Multiverse of Madness was not released in China, a lot of the Marvel movies are not at least in the last few years. I think a lot of big studios are starting to ignore China's demands because of that.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/top_lifetime_gross_adjusted/?adjust_gross_to=2022

Gone With The Wind is still untouchable but maybe if they come up with yet another versionof A New Hope to put out in theaters they might get there eventually.
I like that the original 101 Dalmatians did the meat of its box office during its 1985 into 1986 and 1991 (when I saw it for the first time I believe) re-releases including $60 Million in 1991. In 1991, it finished 17th in domestic box office(!) beating out movies like: Boyz N the Hood, Point Break, Thelma & Louise, and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey all released around the same month period.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
If the Patriots game yesterday wasn’t enough for me getting owned for you this holiday season, here’s this.
Oh, I completely forgot. Thanks for reminding me

11Avatar: The Way of Water$56,000,000-58.2%4,202-$13,326$253,681,686220th Century Studios
2-Puss in Boots: The Last Wish$11,350,000-4,099-$2,768$17,452,8551Universal Pictures
3-Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody$5,300,000-3,625-$1,462$5,300,0001TriStar Pictures
4-Babylon$3,500,000-3,343-$1,046$3,500,0001Paramount Pictures
52Black Panther: Wakanda Forever$3,022,000-43.5%2,250-1,130$1,343$425,677,4017Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
63Violent Night$1,880,000-62.8%2,562-966$733$40,348,4604Universal Pictures
714The Whale$921,329+536.5%603-$1,527$2,479,2733A24
85The Menu$617,000-62.1%840-1,035$734$33,796,8436Searchlight Pictures
97The Fabelmans$550,000-26%1,122+167$490$9,724,4567Universal Pictures
104Strange World$410,000-81.5%1,390-1,480$294$35,599,2425Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
I actually wonder if these will make much more in the weeks ahead. The blizzard kept everyone at home, so more people will probably be interested next week.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever has passed Captain Marvel to become the highest-grossing female-led superhero movie domestically. It's still third worldwide, behind Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman. It needs 20 more million worldwide to move into second place..

EDIT - It's worth noting that Wonder Woman made a combined $99M in China and Russia, and Wakanda Forever wasn't released in either country.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My girlfriend's dad liked it but had no interest in the new one cause it's mostly water based. Erm, OK. I guess we all have our own reasons for seeing movies. Maybe he figured it might make him nauseous? Idk. 3D in general makes people nauseous.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the Patriots game yesterday wasn’t enough for me getting owned for you this holiday season, here’s this.
2 of those 3 movies didn't get released in the world's second biggest market (China) like was already said though so IMO that takes a big shine off that. and Batman came out when almost all of China's theaters were shut down. 100 Million of Avatar 2's global box office is solely from China.

No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness are on the top 10 Highest Global Box Office list despite not being released in China.

I also don't buy into the idea that Avatar has "cultural impact" based on the new movie making a lot of money. How many people were talking about or quoting the movie years after it came out? Or remembered anything from it? The Transformers movies also make a lot of money (if not on this scale) but does anyone remember anything that happened in any of them?

I like my Marvel movies but even a lot of them don't have long-term cultural impact. There are a lot of movies that were dismal failures at the box office that have had more cultural impact that Avatar ever will.

Staff member
Reaction score
They built a whole ass area at Disney World for Avatar, and a bunch of million people all went there just to go to it, so y’all need to take the L on this one. You’re wrong. Not everything in the world gets that kind of attention.

Staff member
Reaction score
The cultural impact is also all that CGI shit like GOTG that came after and directly ripped it off. There are points for being first. These kinds of movies weren’t feasible or realistic, it was widely considered that they would cost too much to consider making.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm far from Avatar's biggest fan but the success of the sequel (only in its second week) should silence any critics on how culturally significant it is despite the quality of the actual film. We don't have to like it (and we don't!) but it's right there in front of us.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
909 being the Avatar series’ champion in verbal combat is really surprising and amusing. Suck my dick film critic (SMDFC).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That just seems like a bad idea to give it a wide release at Christmas. Maybe open it in major cities on Christmas then rest of the country in January. Good upstanding Americans don’t want to spend their Christmas watching sucking and fucking flappers!

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They built a whole ass area at Disney World for Avatar, and a bunch of million people all went there just to go to it, so y’all need to take the L on this one. You’re wrong. Not everything in the world gets that kind of attention.

If that many people are actually going there just for the Avatar section that is a decent argument. The CGI argument is also reasonable. My issue is with saying because it made lots of money it has cultural impact/value. If that's how we determine the values of our culture we should just blow it all up.

I still feel like the first movie did not have the kind of lasting cultural impact that most alltime (adjusted for inflation!) box office movies have had. I can't imagine people quoting Avatar or parodying scenes from it in 40 years like Star Wars, Sound of Music, ET, Exorcist or Gone With The Wind. But maybe I'm wrong and in another 30 years or so I'll bump this topic and admit it.

THIS BOARD WILL NEVER DIE

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Popularity doesn’t always equate to cultural impact FWIW. Rod McKuen is one of the best selling poets of all time (and sold over 100 million songs as a lyricist) and only died a few years ago but now no one remembers him except for weirdos like me who remember his cameo on The Critic. I think cultural elitists like ourselves frequently underestimate how many people see art as just something to consume and say "Oh. That's nice." and move about their day.

Staff member
Reaction score
Popularity doesn’t always equate to cultural impact FWIW. Rod McKuen is one of the best selling poets of all time (and sold over 100 million songs as a lyricist) and only died a few years ago but now no one remembers him except for weirdos like me who remember his cameo on The Critic. I think cultural elitists like ourselves frequently underestimate how many people see art as just something to consume and say "Oh. That's nice." and move about their day.

My view is that Americans and by extension Canadians (because you consume all the same media we do) have a unique way of putting the blinders on and thinking that if it doesn't apply to them it doesn't apply to anyone. Avatar made three times as much as Endgame did. Top Gun 2 has made more than all but two Marvel movies, the general internet reaction before it was released was that a sequel was totally unnecessary and way late. Guess what? There's a lot of people in this country! I think for a lot of people, Avatar is gonna be that movie they saw with glasses on for the first time, or maybe the only time.

Btw you can scroll through this if you care to, and yes the Avatar thing drew many more people to Animal Kingdom while attendance at the other parks plateaued.

So yea a lot of people are into this shit. My brother and BIL went down there in 2017 when this opened but I don't think that anecdote was important even though that area was a huge reason they went there. FWIW I've never watched the movie.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I just wanna say I don’t consider myself a cultural elitist. I hope most here are with me on that.

I don’t like Avatar but that’s not why I don’t think it has that cultural impact. It just doesn’t seem like something that comes up in conversation much or something I see a lot in the media during ads, news stories, etc. But maybe it will take a few weeks, I’ll wait for it.

Keep in mind while Canadians do consume a lot of the same content, the cultural impacts are still different and we have a different way of life from each other so maybe avatar is that big in other places.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think she actually said "energized crowd", which isn't any less embarrassing all things considered.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe she said both. The film opens with an elephant spraying diarrhea on some helpless studio staffers, and the film itself follows by doing the same to anyone who actually paid to see it.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't like the movie at all but I'm a little sad that this may be the end of deeply personal, hugely ambitious, expensive turds. Now we just have expensive turds.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It definitely seems like a foreboding sign when Steven Spielberg's deeply personal movie flops...

Like I'm sure if Ryan Coogler or Jon Favreau wants to make another deeply personal movie (cause the world needs another Chef?), they could easily get the several (tens of) millions of dollars they need in financing but it seems like the days of those movies getting wide releases are numbered.

Last edited:

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I thought of seeing "Babylon", but 1.) the holidays and family coming over, 2.) the weather, and 3.) the trailer didn't exactly grab me. Unlike "The Fablemans" (which I loved), there was nothing about this that looked like something I'd want to watch (unless it was on streaming), and I'm the kind of guy whose usually interested in these kinds of bloated, divisive movies (I'm the guy who thinks "Blonde" was a good movie)

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I thought Babylon just had bomb written all over it. Just didn’t feel like the kinda or movie people would flock to. Star power just doesn’t seem to be enough anymore.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't even tell what it was about based on the trailer I saw in the theater one time. It was just "hey here's a bunch of stars". It looked awful. Going to the movies is too expensive if I don't know what I'm getting.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well I saw Avatar 2 tonight and it was pretty damn meh. We saw it on SCREEN X for some reason. Which means 3 of the 4 walls had pictures (although the side walls only had them intermittently.) It was a waste of money. The movie could easily have cut an hour out and been MUCH better. I'd go maybe 4/10.

The most exciting part of the night was when my brother's car ran out of gas on the way back because he was too cheap to fill up at the one gas station on the way there so we had to push it into a station (the same price ha!). Then he saw a station about half a KM that was 20 cents cheaper and got mad we didn't go further.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Agreed fully on Avatar 2 (commented briefly already in the general movies thread) in that it could have been cut by an hour. I feel even more passionate about that point, given there is apparently 3 other of these on the way. Much of this could have been cut and reconned to the other films in the future. I will say the 3d though was fucking insane in the best way possible, but maybe only because I saw this in IMAX Lazer format, which apparently makes the high frame rate 3D stuff so much better. I actually am thinking about seeing this in Screen X next (they have that at Mall of America here) but I don't know if I can sit through the whole damn thing again. Maybe 4DX would be a better option.

And Babylon was indeed a piece of shit film that had WAAAAAY too many body fluid not funny jokes in it in some sort of ironic way since I wanted to piss, shit, and vomit all over this mess.