Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Minor League Sports Bullshit and Miscellania thread

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Both Matt Barnes and Dylan Bundy have been called up out of the SAL into high A. Bundy I think is scheduled to start on Saturday and Barnes is already tearing up High A with many thinking he could be on a fast track to a September call up.

I like Barnes a lot more than Bundy so it wouldn't shock me, but I think the Sox would be wise to just wait until next year on him.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Billy Hamilton in the Reds' system has 29 stolen bases in just 24 games. He's probably not the best prospect in the minors, but he may be the most interesting.

Is Hamilton ever going to be able play good enough defense or get on base enough in the bigs to take advantage of his speed strengths?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I think the defense is fine. Hamilton had an OBP of .340 last year, I think that's a very acceptable mark for a middle infielder. He's in the California League this year so I pretty much disregard his numbers completely there. But basically, I think he's obviously better than Esix Snead or Joey Gathright.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just saw that he has 62 SB's in 53 games and his BA and OBP are through the roof. Isn't the knock on the Cali League that the fields are atrocious so OBP's tend to be higher? Either way I'm sure he'll be promoted to AA fairly soon.

I saw Francisco Lindor last month in Dayton. While he clearly looked like the best athlete in uniform, twice that night Dragons players legged out infield singles on balls that he should have charged but he let get to him and he totally depended on his arm. That said, I think that could be boredom with Midwest League ball. He comes back into town on June 25, so I'll be interested to see him again.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Considering our baseball team is known for a celebrity owner, is a Yankees farm team, has a beautiful stadium on the river, insane promotions (I think we have the lowest attendance ever, on purpose), and a generally great atmosphere it's amazing that I've yet to attend a Charleston Riverdogs game since they changed stadiums in the early 00s.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shaq Green-Thompson was one of this year's top college football recruits and is committed to play safety at Washington. He decided to take another shot at playing baseball during his senior year of high school and impressed enough that the Red Sox drafted him in the 18th round. He signed quickly and has now played in 12 games. His batting line:

0-37, 36 K

He started off 0-16 with 16 strikeouts, then miraculously managed to ground out softly to first base. He has since gone 0-20 with 20 strikeouts.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Scott Savastano, a backup 1B on the Tacoma Rainiers, ended up pitching in an extra inning game. He won his own game with a walkoff home run.
He played all 9 positions in an extra inning game for the AA Diamond Jaxx a couple of years ago.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees are changing their name next season. Here are the six choices.

Blast
Black Diamond Bears
Fireflies
Porcupines
Railriders
Trolley Frogs

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Trolley Frogs sounds funny, but I'd vote for Railriders. Every victory could be a rail kill.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Went to a Red Wings game in Rochester on the weekend. Probably the 2nd nicest AAA stadium I've been to (after Toledo, ahead of Pawtucket, Syracuse, and Scranton), but the highlights were the Zooperstars. Harry Canary and Dominik Hashark dancing, Cow Ripken Jr. fighting with some players, Roger Clamens eating some kid and spitting out his boxer shorts, and some other stuff. Harry Canary also helped sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Good times.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Does that thing that Cal Ripken's doing have any association to the "real" LLWS? Because I just found out that I have a cousin who played on the MD team in Ripken's thing today.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
treble said:
Went to a Red Wings game in Rochester on the weekend. Probably the 2nd nicest AAA stadium I've been to (after Toledo, ahead of Pawtucket, Syracuse, and Scranton), but the highlights were the Zooperstars. Harry Canary and Dominik Hashark dancing, Cow Ripken Jr. fighting with some players, Roger Clamens eating some kid and spitting out his boxer shorts, and some other stuff. Harry Canary also helped sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Good times.
What food did you have? Frontier has numerous great dining options. A lot of people attend just for dinner and a nice summer night. Sucked for the Empire State Yankees games though, they only had standard ballpark food stands open... no Red Osier Roast Beef, Fried Calamari, Gourmet Mac and Cheese or Gourmet Hot Dogs.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Does that thing that Cal Ripken's doing have any association to the "real" LLWS? Because I just found out that I have a cousin who played on the MD team in Ripken's thing today.
It doesn't, but that shouldn't make it any less praiseworthy. The LLWS isn't the only game in town, just the most publicized.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today the Indianapolis Indians brought in position player Jeff Larish to pitch and had Jose "Jumbo" Diaz stay in to play 2B. Diaz is well over 300 pounds, maybe closer to 350. He stayed in to hit, reached on an error, and stole third! Only in the minors...

alkeiper

Reaction score
A few teams are rebranding this offseason. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees announce a new team nickname this evening. The Reading Phillies are announcing a new nickname this Saturday.

alkeiper

Reaction score
575068_10151231455259381_656488975_n.jpg

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
That ostrich needs to put on a pair of pants. That's inappropriate.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I went to the Portland Sea Dogs-New Britain Rock Cats game. I splurged and got the "expensive" $10 seats. Set first row center behind home plats. Not too shabby.

Sea Dogs look great this year. They won 10-4. 5 of the Boston Red Sox Top 10 prospects are in Portland right now. Offense in particularly looks tremendous. Blake Swihart definitely looked like future catcher for Boston today.

Also, these guys were there!
PEgIPkgb.jpg

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Quick hits of South Atlantic League top prospects I've seen

Yankees: OF Aaron Judge is a BEAST, I hope the Yankees trade him because he has a lot of power and a great arm. Luis Servino didn't impress me,seems like he is a raw talent with just a fastball right now and it isn't overpowering plus he lacks command. Rookie Davis has the best name and decent arm, could be a back end starter or bullpen. 2B Gosuke Katoh showed solid range and speed with good contact at the plate over two games. OF Michael O'Neil is fast with good bat control. Some good A ball prospects for the Yanks

Giants: Luis Ysla isn't on any top prospect lists and I'm not sure why not. Mid 90's fastball with control from the left side. His breaking pitches need work but I liked what I saw with speed andability to nip corners. SS Christian Arroyo chased some bad pitches high and low but showed good range defensively. Tyler Horan has some pop in his bat for outfield. Best part of their game? Manager gets ejected then Steve Kline loses his shit an inning later and gets booted. Great stuff. 3B Ryder Jones has quick reaction and feet, he struggled at the plate against a left hander all game long.

Orioles: OF Josh Hart is REALLY fast and his bat is improving, he has no power that I've seen so far. C Chance Sisco isn't bad, good arm, decent bat but again lack of power. Haven't seen Hunter Harvey pitch at all.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
the Portland Sea Dogs-New Hampshire Fisher Cats game tomorrow night is Princes & Pirates Night and Bark in the Park night. Gonna draw a diverse crowd.

Also these guys are performing
PEgIPkgb.jpg

Legit though. I should try to catch another game. I haven't gone since opening weekend. Sea Dogs are best team in the Eastern League this year by far to this point.