Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling Books Discussion Zone

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll never forget when A&E premiered Wrestling With Shadows and halfway through it shows the big glamour shot of Julie hanging in Bret's sauna.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
She reminds me of the guy from Celtic Frost when they went glam.

Celtic+Frost+Tom+1988.jpg

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
Speaking of Julie, from "Wrestling with Shadows" i was taken aback at how rough she looked. In the book there's a younger photo of her and she was quite attractive back in the day.

I wouldn't exactly call her "attractive" but she wasn't as bad as she looked in Wrestling with Shadows. Bret's short-term italian wife wasn't too bad though.

I like how he tells a story in his book about having a girl come up to his room in Australia (i think?) after his stroke and thinking "yeah I'm back".

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had mentioned in some other threads a bit back that I had been reading Jericho's new book. Got busy, hadn't gotten a chance to get back to it but I stayed home sick from work today and tired of sleeping and TV, picked it back up only to get another story about Vince wrestling guys on planes.

This time, Jericho was going to a press conference in Phoenix for Wrestlemania 26 on Vince's jet with Vince, Big Johnny, Cena and Kofi Kingston. They drink Jack Daniels the whole way. As Kofi leaves, Vince makes some comment about "maybe you will get over one of these days" to Kofi.

Jericho follows Kofi off the plane and gets him to go back and stand up for himself. Kofi goes back and nervously confronts Kofi. Mid-trash talk, Vince takes out Kofi's legs and the two wrestle in the plane for a little bit.

Vince is going to live forever.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
From what Court Bauer has said, Hart's son is a major reason it's never been reprinted.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
JTG is hyping on Twitter that he is releasing a tell-all eBook.

Kinda curious on this one, as his time spanned in WWE from 2006-2014, so he was there in that weird pre-Benoit murders era through the sanitized era. Know he got in trouble for speaking up a couple times. Also, don't remember how long he spent in OVW but he was there in that post-Cena era of the guys that were supposed to be bigger than they became (Eugene, Bashams, Conway) and he is going to cover all that too.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Jericho just announced he has signed on to write his fourth book but this one will be "a little different". I eagerly await his new line of erotic fiction.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I was reading this e-book on Kindle Unlimited called Titan Shattered. It has a lot of great stories that seem to piece together rumours and other parts of the 1996ish era that we all kinda know about. Also appears well-sourced.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25899318-titan-shattered

Worth a read as a rasslin fan imo.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just finished Bret's book for a third time and it got me into the wrasslin' book reading mood.

So I read Hardcore Holly's book and man I loved it. He was brutally honest and it was sad when he finally quit. It makes me look back and wish that old Hardcore had been used more.

Also why aren't Foley's first two books on Kindle?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I've really wanted to read Hardcore's. I may need to pick that up now. Think the last wrestling book I read was Jericho's third, as I got on a little basketball kick for a stretch.

Guessing Foley's has to do with age and rights stuff but I don't legit know. Not sure if they switched around publishers and stuff since Foley's first book is legally old enough to drive now.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Best line from Hardcore's book:

"People always ask me if I took steroids. Hell yes I was on steroids."

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hell yes it is. I'm actually reading it now. There's a whole chapter on his early years as a professional toughman fighter in shady barroom tournaments, and then at one point he's actually challenged to wrestle a bear.

[quote author=Hardcore Holly, super-heavyweight]That fucking bear bit me on top of my fucing head and that was it- the beginning of me going bald. I had a full head of hair until that point! The bear got me down and ended up on top of me, putting me in an extremely compromised position. Basically, it looked like the bear was sexually assaulting me. That pretty much ended my bear-wrestling career. [/quote]

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I found a copy of Gary Michael Cappetta's Bodyslams: Memoirs of a Wrestling Pitchman autobiography recently and have read it several times. Cappetta started announcing for the WWWF in 1974 and went on to do his thing for WCW, the AWA, Pro Wrestling USA, and various indies until leaving the business in 1994 or '95. I definitely enjoyed reading about things from his ring announcer's point of view. He places a lot of importance on his role as announcer - maybe more than he should since I don't know anyone who watched wrestling just to see him. Perhaps that is his way of illustrating how seriously he took his job. He puts over Gorilla Monsoon huge for getting him regular announcing work and putting him on TV. Both McMahons and Eric Bischoff treated him like shit. Funny stories about being tormented in the ring by George Steele and Jimmy Snuka. He gives Mean Mark a ride and finds out how Buzz Sawyer ripped off the future Undertaker, which culminates in a locker room confrontation between the two. 2 Cold Scorpio and Ron Simmons are forced to ask Cappetta for a ride after being stranded so Marcus Bagwell could travel alone with his wife. Karmic justice strikes later when the Bagwells stay at the same motel where the boys bring the ring rats, who knock on Buff's door all night long. This book is also where the anecdote about Verne Gagne not watching his own product comes from, much to Cappetta's shock. Lots of other stories too. Great read, highly recommended.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Pat Patterson has an autobiography out next week. Appears to be published by WWE and Vince wrote the forward. Think I may order a copy.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anybody else read the ali vs Inoki book that came out earlier this year?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Looking-Lights-Path-Wrestling-Heel/dp/1613219873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485718250&sr=8-1&keywords=pete+gas

Did anyone know that Pete Gas was releasing a book? Edge and JBL are writing the foreword too!

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Ordering the Pete Gas book. Also put in pre-orders for the next Jericho book and the AJ Lee book.

While doing all this, saw Hot Rod's kids put out a biography on him in the fall. Anyone know if it is worth reading?

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bible-Pounding Phony said:
While doing all this, saw Hot Rod's kids put out a biography on him in the fall. Anyone know if it is worth reading?

I'm thinking about ordering it using what I have left on an Amazon gift card. I didn't get to write a proper tribute to Piper in my magazine column and was thinking a review might be cool.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Wake-Its-Feeding-Time-Professional/dp/194276183X/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i6_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=YJ0YM1EVP7BEVBX8ZD12&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe090b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop

Baby Shoes, are you also going to order Ryback's new self-help book?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I saw that but figured it was probably The Secret plus eating a dozen eggs a day

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The Pete Gas book is listed as a 3/21 release but Amazon already shipped my copy and it is set to arrive tomorrow

tumblr_lfa851FKBS1qgsz39o1_400.gif

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Bible-Pounding Phony said:
Ordering the Pete Gas book. Also put in pre-orders for the next Jericho book and the AJ Lee book.

Book is great. I was legit depressed reading the last chapter. Piper was a great father, but had a lot of demons that followed him, dating back to his childhood.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Nature-Legacy-Flair-Charlotte/dp/1250120578/ref=sr_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488425243&sr=1-14&keywords=wrestling

Eh? Probably a brushing over of Ric's great career and lots of drama over Reid leading to Charlotte becoming a worker.

https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Dog-Maurice-Vachon-Story/dp/1770413324/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488425166&sr=1-7&keywords=wrestling

Here's a must have for old school fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Slobberknocker-Life-Wrestling-Jim-Ross/dp/168358113X/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488425166&sr=1-4&keywords=wrestling

BAH GAWD!! This could be great, or it could just be super positive BS about Watts and Vince mixed with bitching about the modern workers.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had seen the Flair one before and figured it was a condensed version of Ric's old one with some Charlotte fluff but those look like some other great finds, Brody.

I don't know if it was pulling up the Pete Gas one but Amazon keeps suggesting a Justin Roberts book to me, which maybe when it's cheaper... I actually still want to pick up Pat Patterson and Bob Holly's books.

And I just stumbled onto the fact that someone wrote a Hillbilly Jim book!

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-Incredible-Story-Wrestling-Superstar/dp/1942613490/ref=pd_sim_14_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1942613490&pd_rd_r=9YSA3T3890SNKFVZYQ4C&pd_rd_w=Gnj9Z&pd_rd_wg=3PAeR&psc=1&refRID=9YSA3T3890SNKFVZYQ4C

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I used the Amazon gift card and a Prime trial membership to get the Hot Rod biography for free. Great book. I'm not sure where I rate it on my definitive list of mat memoirs, but I don't think I have to tell you that it's way better than In the Pit with Piper, heh. Some of the myths about his pre-wrestling life get debunked, but there's still a fair amount of his kayfabe story that isn't too far from the truth. Piper had a story that he wanted to tell and stuck to it fervently, mostly to keep people from looking into his private life. Lots of good road stories, some of which we've heard before. I laughed my ass off quite a bit. He definitely had his share of demons that affected him throughout his life and left far too soon. Chills go up my spine when I realize that he told everyone on that 2003 HBO documentary that he wouldn't make it to 65 and sure enough... Definitely reviewing this in my next column.