Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWE in Summer of 2024: Best in the World at annoying Drew McIntyre

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think they should keep this story running even longer and bring in decreasingly talented wrestlers because if it worked for the NWO story, it'll work for the McMahons too.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To go back to the Cody not feeling like a top dog discussion. If they are going to treat him like just another guy, I hope they let the World Heavyweight Champion main event occasionally.

What even is the point of having a second World Title if it’s going to be on a lower tier than the main one? Well it probably won’t be that way for much longer when RAW moves to Netflix!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow the least over person on the entire show winning the NXT Championship is a choice. I assume that was a HHH call to try and send a message to AEW talent that they'll be pushed, since they haven't had a lot of success luring people away since Cody/Jade that are big names.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
First NXT i've watched in a few years I think and so far it feels like green AEW stuff with way worse commentary.
Agreed. The timing between Kelani and Ruca was off enough to expose how completely green they both are, and there wasn't much else on the show worth noting. Which is weird to me because we're usually guaranteed one killer match per show, and this one was just sorta there. Still enjoyable, but it exposes how green a lot of that roster still is.

It needed Tank Ledger. Dude's going to be a solid midcard star.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't hate this show or anything but when I see people talking about how great NXT is (and people on reddit saying this was nxt takeover level lol) it just baffled me. There was some good stuff on here and a lot of very green workers who might be good at some point, as well as some totally washed up guys. I also found the face/heel dynamics weird and not helped by the crowd just cheering for everyone, but that isn't unique to WWE.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rhea returned on Raw tonight. Exactly 3 months to the day after being injured

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's a really weird hire. 1. If he's joining the team with Graves and Barrett, it's for Friday Night Smackdown, which seems sort of impossible logistically, given that he calls college football on Saturdays. 2. WWE just went all in hyping Graves as the heir apparent to Michael Cole, and honestly, he has done a great job since moving to play-by-play.

If WWE was still floundering with Adnan Virk or Kevin Patrick doing play-by-play for one of their main shows, I would get it. But this doesn't really seem needed now.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joe Tessitore hasn’t been on MNF for five years so that isn’t a concern.

I’m wondering if Netflix wanted someone with legitimate sports broadcasting credentials. Tessitore has done a bunch of boxing PBP too, which is probably the closest IRL sport to pro wrestling.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't watched ESPN boxing in a while but he was always VERY excitable and into the fights when I did watch. Seems like a great fit for wrestling.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And the fact that he is most known, probably, for Holey Moley (he was a MNF PBP guy at the tail end of their doldrum years) means he isn’t afraid of calling silly shit.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And the fact that he is most known, probably, for Holey Moley (he was a MNF PBP guy at the tail end of their doldrum years) means he isn’t afraid of calling silly shit.
A key differentiator from him and the other “legitimate” announcers they’ve tried and eventually failed to succeed with is that…ya know, the voices on the other side of the can aren’t Beaver Face and Shane’s father.

We have seen how much growth (to a certain degree) that has allowed Michael Cole to perform. I don’t think we have to worry about him wading into McAfee territory either.

He’s probably going to be a good balance. He might also be a total disaster. Let’s see.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Man Mike Goldberg is hanging out with nothing do to.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Arnold looks fantastic for someone in his late 70s. I think Punk looks perfectly fine for a 45 year old but he does look exceedingly tired for a straight edger with no kids. Being as self righteous as he is must be tiring.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He looks like a goof in the Rancid merch too.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score

He joins Tiffany, Priest and Punk as recently signed talent to this agency. This is a move that is becoming rapidly commonplace in the wrestling industry.

Glad to see the boys and girls getting more than just a handshake deal and whatever Barry Bloom gets them.

Last edited: