Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF: Hulkamania era (1984-`1992)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I'm not sold on an older, worn down Rocco being able to school either 100 percent. Bradshaw was probably more of the paper tiger of the two, but he was tough. He played in an NFL preseason game for the Raiders with a broken leg IIRC his WWF magazine info 25 plus years ago.

Simmons was 42ish here. but he wouldn't doubt he could fuck some shit up.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Big Guido's legacy to me is the people who didn't know who he was claiming he was Rick Titan when he showed up in WWECW.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I don't think this is legit. If nothing else, the Japan issue would remain a point of contention. Verne had Baba ties and Hogan was with Inoki. No title run that way. Plus this would mean Verne suddenly went from not even wanting to give Hogan merch money to giving him a giant downside offer.

Even Greg has said for decades that they just assumed Hogan was coming back from the Japan tour for Xmas, and nothing of this deal.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think, best case, this was a dubious contract that left out how much of a merch cut Verne would get. I don't think Verne even knew what a downside was.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think, best case, this was a dubious contract that left out how much of a merch cut Verne would get. I don't think Verne even knew what a downside was.
A few months later they paid Martel X____ to prevent him from jumping so the basic concept was out there.
I'm sure the Jumbo run was months in the making(paid by Baba) , but giving Jumbo the belt 4 or 5 weeks after Hulkamania kicked off in NYC was a terrible idea. Jumbo was loosely known to the local fans from some occasional AWA shots, but he had no chance of carrying any shows attendance wise. This was made worse by the fact that they booked Jumbo as a tweener on TV. Heenan is cutting promos on him, but babyfaces are also challenging him.
Plus Verne was still doing local kids wrestling exhibitions on TV in early 84. WWWF did the same thing with Backlund, but now THIS WAS WAR. Get that off TV and get some HEAT with some heels.
--
Ole's death has me thinking about Black Saturday a ton. I'm going to do something with that on here over the weekend to get it out of my system.

Valeyard

Reaction score
A few months later, yeah, but in the immediate dealings with Hogan I don't think I trust there to be a really well thought out contract given the perceived urgency to keep him. Afterwards they probably learned how to do a better job with things like that. It's just too bad it was Martel to fill the spot because he just could never compete.

Did Jumbo and Otto Wanz ever work together? That's the kind of AWA champion clash I'd be into.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A few months later, yeah, but in the immediate dealings with Hogan I don't think I trust there to be a really well thought out contract given the perceived urgency to keep him. Afterwards they probably learned how to do a better job with things like that. It's just too bad it was Martel to fill the spot because he just could never compete.

Did Jumbo and Otto Wanz ever work together? That's the kind of AWA champion clash I'd be into.
Wanz did Inoki tours. I'll have to look if Jumbo ever went to CWA.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Knowing what we all know by now, it's quite possible that Hogan was influenced by McMahon telling him he'd get the belt and be the top star.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I bet Berzerker Vs Hillbilly Jim could have been a low key fun boss battle. I’m sure Segunda Caida would love to see it, @AA484 !

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
The mentality of paying for a show you hate is bizarre. At least be like that dude who went to a show just to turn his back when Cena showed up in protest.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hater culture existed long, long before the internet. For more information, listen to John McAdam's 1984 WWF rewatch podcast. We might even find out we thought Gorilla Monsoon was not a good person.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My cousin and I made fun of late 80s WWF wrestlecrap when rewatching it in 93-96ish.
Conversations I can still recall include how poor Tito was saddled with a Rooster, a man with Polka Dots and a sexual ambiguous Barber as SSeries partners. We also used Brooklyn Brawler's "Don't war-ray Mis-stah Heenan" line from SNME constantly as one of our in jokes.
My neighbors and I who spent like a decade watching wrestling tapes and wrestling in the back yard went our separate ways as we got older in the late 90s, but when they would see me come home from work late in 2001 as they sat in the bar near my parents house they would call out to me with Tatanka's war cry.
Another pair of neighbors reenacted the Warrior/Taker SNME angle in their living room with me. It was done with love, but still was mocking the silliness of a zombie fighting a gay Indian

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Woodbridge, VA – Davis Ford Athletic Park Complex – July 12, 1984
Benefit show for the mentally retarded of Prince William County
B. Brian Blair defeated Bob Orton Jr. via disqualification
Big John Studd defeated Terry Daniels
WWF Tag Team Champions Dick Murdoch & Adrian Adonis defeated SD Jones & Rocky Johnson
Sgt. Slaughter defeated the Iron Sheik
WWF IC Champion Tito Santana defeated Greg Valentine

I demand to see all the heel promos for this show.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

I'm not sold on an older, worn down Rocco being able to school either 100 percent. Bradshaw was probably more of the paper tiger of the two, but he was tough. He played in an NFL preseason game for the Raiders with a broken leg IIRC his WWF magazine info 25 plus years ago.

Simmons was 42ish here. but he wouldn't doubt he could fuck some shit up.
Petty vs. Bradshaw has me betting on Petty. He may have older and worn down, but he was still able to move, and Bradshaw was notoriously KTFO'd by Joey Styles.

Simmons, though...that's a guy who Petty'd get bodied by.