Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

All Time Saturday Night Live Cast Draft-2020 Draft Completed!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Not a name I even put on my list because I didn’t expect them to be here vs when I would have wanted them. But totally worth a pick this late. Checked the list twice and didn’t see him.

FA9F4560-FE79-4EDE-8928-0C835827013E.jpeg

Rob Schneider

I get that we know he’s a total chud now because of twitter and such, but he was solid on the show. Tiny Elvis was a favorite of mine. Da Juice skits were so bad I enjoyed them.

The Team

Christopher Walken - Host

Chris Farley
Chevy Chase
Cecily Strong
Darryl Hammond
Will Forte
Aidy Bryant
Rob Schneider

@The Valeyard

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Another pick like Piscopo. his post SNL career and turning into a conservative dipshit totally overrode his perfectly solid SNL run.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Piscopo was the reason Eddie's years still felt like SNL and not the Eddie Murphy Show. He was the only one who could keep up, if only partially.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
So she was only listed as a cast member in one episode, appeared in that one episode in a pretaped bit for Update, but went on to win obscene awards for her comedy chops as well as get an Oscar nomination. Once it hit me she was eligible, my real pick to round out the women got dropped (sadly) and I'm picking

Laurie Metcalf

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There were some solid castmembers in the Murphy/Piscopo era that were mis and/or underused due to Dick Ebersol's "Just play the hits" mentality towards sketch comedy. And fact that Eddie Murphy was so ahead of everyone else.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bah, Metcalf was gonna be my pick. She's another one like Cusack where she's such a great performer that you know in a different era she would be one of the best women on the show.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
There are a few people I want on my list, but this guy is someone I have to take because I feel he won't make it back to me. Had a short run but was hilarious when he was there. A genuinely good actor, which people know now through his work on BCS, he was able to play a good diversity of roles.

MV5BYTFmM2ViNDgtMWI5Yi00NjViLThlNmMtNmRmZDFhY2NlNTVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_UY1200_CR487,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Michael McKean

@Gert

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bah, Metcalf was gonna be my pick. She's another one like Cusack where she's such a great performer that you know in a different era she would be one of the best women on the show.
Laurie Metcalf is definitely going to be person with shortest run to be picked in the draft since she was only on one episode.

(I'm drawing the line and saying Catherine O'Hara isn't eligible even though she was technically a castmember cause she quit before her first episode. Unless Thrasher wants to pick her as host with his 6 or 7 picks).

It is amusing to see people like Laurie Metcalf and Ben Stiller get picked when there's castmembers who had 5 to 7 year runs left on the board. Granted most of them suck but still.

Valeyard

Reaction score
My severe, severe free time will fix a few of those. Couple great women alone are up there.

I almost grabbed McKean a few times. I had this plan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought we were drafting on talent and not long runs brother.
Yeah but maybe I should've prefaced or it was assumed that we're picking them in era that they were in SNL not necessarily at peak of their comic powers.

There was definitely some people who were great talents that were misused by SNL and went off to have great careers but there were also people who went on to have great careers after SNL that just weren't ready for SNL

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've been valuing talent and personal enjoyment above all. The only one I feel weird about oddly is Metcalf because I loved my original pick, but Metcalf and Guest working together alone makes me laugh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There was definitely some people who were great talents that were misused by SNL and went off to have great careers but there were also people who went on to have great careers after SNL that just weren't ready for SNL
Depending on how @Gert picks, you guys are totally allowed to call me a god damn hypocrite after my next pick.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think some of these people that have short runs are more entertaining for what if purposes than just picking all the people that had mediocre but long SNL runs. I got 1989 Ben Stiller, but 1989 Ben Stiller still had a lot of potential and he was right on the cusp of creating his own sketch show that holds up better than a lot of 90's SNL.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Stiller was just too early, like how Cusack was probably too late. Cusack comes along a year later, we don't get years of the woman who banged Lorne for a while being mediocre. Women had it the worst, despite many times being the backbones of even shitty eras.

Stiller, Garafalo, Silverman, and a couple others (not counting several writers) were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Only thing I wish the draft had was a supplemental for two featured players. The good Fallon is still on the table.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Stiller, Garafalo, Silverman, and a couple others (not counting several writers) were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Silverman was one person I was mostly referring to. She was 19 years old when she was on SNL and barely did anything. Maybe a different era would have been better able to nurture her talent but it is hard to figure out a way to use a 19 year old on SNL.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I only want a cameo draft for musical acts.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
McKean I nearly picked once or twice.

I completely forgot Garafolo was on the show or I would have snagged her sooner too

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've decided against my potentially hypocritical idea. Going with a solid straight woman to play off the rest of my cast
140207_2721953_Newsbreak_Segment___Mary_s_Book_Review_anvver_2.jpg

Mary Gross
(had no idea until I looked up her Wikipedia entry that she was Family Ties' Michael Gross' younger sister)

Valeyard

Reaction score
I was really hoping she'd get picked eventually. I always really liked Mary Gross.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
These two picks might annoy the SNL purists that don't believe in short SNL runs. I'm taking two oddball guys that didn't fit in with SNL at all but are really unique and interesting as performers

y7okzJubsQOx.jpg

Damon Wayans

Randy Quaid

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Time to pick my Weekend Update anchor. Although he never anchored it, he was a frequent correspondent. An SNL Legend and disgraced US Senator. That's right.

maxresdefault.jpg

Al Franken