Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bad Movies 2020 (and beyond)

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
The first dud of January is going to be The 355, which was meant to come out a while back but kept getting delayed back due to the pandemic. Several reviews have basically called it "girlboss CIA", which...yeah.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I just commented on it in the box office thread, but it was quite a mess of a film, that I would certainly consider a bad movie. I fell out three times as the action nor the dialogue was very engaging at all. And one of the most drab endings I've seen in these types of films in forever.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Here comes the shit for 2022.....

Moonfall: Holy fuck, this was something else. The effects were pretty impressive as seems commonplace with Emmerich films, but this one was easily the more nonsensical and hyper-narrative than anything this same crew as 2012, Independance Day, etc has ever done. No shock this got released in the early months of the year (usual dump of bad movies). The verbiage was probably the most god awful I've seen in an action flick in years, and there was so many cliche character tropes that it was maddening. For a 2 hour film, this moved at the fastest pace ever for that length. And don't get me started on how the filmmakers decided to create this ridiculous backstory on why and how things were happening how they were. There was some moments of so fucking bad this was funny, but it was kinda few and far between. Some dude was trying his best Nick Frost characterization in this, which made me think he had to have been cast at some point?

Shattered: Now this wonky ass movie was absolutely so abysmally absurd that it was not only entertaining as fuck, but I laughed my ass off at just how terrible the execution was. How they got Frank Grillo and John Malkovich (who played a totally creepy and unlikable landlord to the point where you were just begging for this character to get killed off) not only to play bit roles, but have producing credits attached was a bit of a headscratcher. The main antagonist was a woman who was basically using her sexuality to do a very sneaky and sly home invasion/identify theft thing on rich dudes (this felt like Misery meets Panic Room kinda), it made for really over the top and hard to believe situations but that's what made this fucking movie so outrageous in a good way. Also, I'm sure it wont happen since this is so far out of the mainstream, but the main actress/antagonist Lilly Krug perhaps had some of the worst acting I've seen in a major studio film (this was a Lionsgate production) that is so absolutely worthy of a Razzie.

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Blacklight: So this one was all over the fucking place. Halfway through it (or maybe into the third act or so), it became Taken 4 as well with Liam Neeson trying to find his captured family members. Before that, it was a terribly scripted action conspiracy thriller that was not thrilling, nor action packed. I actually left this one about an hour in when I was not being entertained at all, in fact the whole story gave me a headache that I wasn't ready to finish. I can't say this was worthwhile at all, in fact it was a total waste of time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking up local movie showtimes to see if there's any indie bullshit that I want to see and I was taken aback to see a few showtimes for Morbius. I was like "Huh. That's still in theaters? I thought it left theaters."

It did! Extremely online nerds pretending to like the movie prompted Sony to rerelease the movie to a 1000 theaters this weekend

These are the times in which I think the internet is very bad.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not very funny but he's taking the time to try to salvage his terrible movie and interact with his fanbase, I can think of worse things honestly.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not gonna go see it, but it's kinda nice when you have a movie theater all to yourself. If anyone reading this has never experienced that before, run, don't walk to the next screening of Morbius.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyway, it's funny the rerelease has been met with indifference, but however good or bad the movie is, Morbius made back double its budget, which is usually the standard for whether a film is a commercial success. Far be it from me to say anything remotely non-disparaging about a Marvel product, but here we are.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not gonna go see it, but it's kinda nice when you have a movie theater all to yourself. If anyone reading this has never experienced that before, run, don't walk to the next screening of Morbius.
The only downside is when this happens, I always nearly crap my pants when the usher walks down the aisles during the movie.

That’s probably less of a problem now considering how short staffed movie theaters are now. I’ve almost wondered who is to stop me to just wander into a theater without paying.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
The Forgiven: Jessica Chastain has been on a fucking roll with bad movies these past few years (besides the Oscar winning role as Tammy Faye Bakker). There was the 355, and also some other one that came out during 2020 called Ava that was pretty terrible as well. And then came this one.

I felt like the themes were on point here (elitism, white privilege, islamophobia) but the way they went about presenting them was terrible. The performances were weird, everyone involved basically were acting on their worst behaviors which can lead to strange execution....Ralph Fiennes had the only character arc that was of substance, the rest were just downright badly put together. Chastain played a kinda floosy adultress, as an example. Just didn't connect well. Matt Smith also was in this, phoning it in.

I think the Moroccan government may have had some financial stake and influence in this as well as it felt a bit heavy handed in showcasing the landscape of the area. Sad to say, this was probably the highlight of the film really.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If it didn’t work for Kevin Bacon, it’s not going to work for you, you idiot!

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's a remake of a very well received Spanish Film with the same title. I doubt this will get the reviews the original got and Bobby Farrelly hasn't made anything good in years, but a lot of people I like are in it (Woody, Sweet Dee, Cheech, Ernie Hudson, Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys) so I'll probably end up watching it.

Watching the trailer and maybe I'm turning into a big softee, but I've seen way worse. Not original at all, but I have a soft spot for sappy underdog sports movies.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thoughts? I guess it’s as good of an argument as anyone to not let their children become actors because they are just as likely to be in a Firestarter remake (or Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace) as they are The Sixth Sense.

Point is The Razzies are butt.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I dont fully get the issue of contention with all this, since other kids in the past were also nominated before. And calling a spade a fucking spade, that film and everything about it was fucking atrocious. Not her fault really though, but still....the performance was terrible for a mainstream film. If I recall, McCauly Culkin got numerous noms many years in a row even. I didn't see this huge backlash over it then so this is a new thing that probably the people who are harking about it are not even getting the whole point of the Razzies. It's not to devalue actors, or shun them for being terrible either really. It's just to make fun of how bad (and maybe so bad its good) things can be in film.

To me, the Razzies is simply fun stuff and not to be taken seriously, nor be offended by anything involved in it but that's just me.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm one of the 11 people that saw Firestarter and she wasn't that bad or memorable. Zac Efron kind of was though.

I stopped giving a shit about the Razzies decades ago. Would be more interesting if they actually found some real trash cinema to nominate instead of picking on the easiest of targets.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
The Razzies are just kinda pathetic, and tired. Have been for some time now. Did Stallone do anything this year? Ok. Just nominate every performance.

A nomination for worst on screen couple, and I quote: “ Tom Hanks & His Latex-Laden Face (and Ludicrous Accent) ELVIS” …that’s really funny.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Every year when I read about the Razzies, I'm always amazed their still around. They peaked when Sandra Bullock unexpectedly showed up to sincerely accept her reward for Worst Actress.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Seeing Tom Hanks being nominated for "Elvis" isn't surprising, but his performance-while not good per se-is at least interesting and entertaining. Plus, really fun to imitate.