Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Cards I Find on Cagematch That I Wonder If They Actually Happened

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking up Hardcore Holly's cagematch based on our discussion in Shoot Thread. IDK why the idea of Hardcore Holly Vs DJ Hyde amuses me so. Idk if two more miserable pricks have been paired against each other in the 21st century. At least, in the non death match category.

Also got a kick out of a young Adam Cole putting over The Nigerian Nightmares, who IMO are one of THE definitive shindy acts of the era.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Digging through 1994 results while I rebook 1994 WWF for @King Kamala and stumbled upon this:

SMW @ Marietta, GA - Cobb County Civic Center - March 10, 1994 (1,200; 1,075 paid)
Dory Funk Jr., Gary Juster, Robert Welch (Col. Rob Parker), and Jim Ross were among those backstage at the show
The 1-2-3 Kid fought Bobby Blaze to a 15-minute draw at 12:23
Hillbilly Festus pinned NGWA Champion New Jack at 6:27 to win the title when Festus lifted his shoulder out of a back suplex
Tracey Smothers pinned Chris Candido (w/ Dennis Coraluzzo) in a non-title match at 12:08 with the jawjacker
Ron Garvin defeated Kevin Sullivan via disqualification at 9:20 when Sullivan hit the referee
Lex Luger pinned IRS at 8:06 with a roll up as IRS argued with the referee
Tony Anthony & the Dirty White Girl defeated Brian Lee & Tammy Fytch at 10:32 when Anthony pinned Lee with an inside cradle after the Dirty White Girl chased Fytch backstage
Brian, Scott, & Steve Armstrong defeated Owen Hart & Well Dunn at 10:40 when Scott pinned Timothy Well after a missile dropkick from Steve
Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson defeated SMW Tag Team Champions the Heavenly Bodies (w/ Jim Cornette) via disqualification at 16:20 when the referee saw Jimmy Del Ray with Cornette's tennis racquet
Bob Armstrong pinned Jim Cornette in a steel cage match at 6:00

Owen's about to work Bret at Mania and here he is teaming with jabronis and doing jobs for the Armstrongs.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm more interested in that Bobby Blaze-123 Kid match.

Is Bobby Blaze the most obscure wrestler to write an autobiography, @BruiserBrody ? I'm sure if anyone can come up with a less notable name, it's you.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Digging through 1994 results while I rebook 1994 WWF for @King Kamala and stumbled upon this:

SMW @ Marietta, GA - Cobb County Civic Center - March 10, 1994 (1,200; 1,075 paid)
Dory Funk Jr., Gary Juster, Robert Welch (Col. Rob Parker), and Jim Ross were among those backstage at the show
The 1-2-3 Kid fought Bobby Blaze to a 15-minute draw at 12:23
Hillbilly Festus pinned NGWA Champion New Jack at 6:27 to win the title when Festus lifted his shoulder out of a back suplex
Tracey Smothers pinned Chris Candido (w/ Dennis Coraluzzo) in a non-title match at 12:08 with the jawjacker
Ron Garvin defeated Kevin Sullivan via disqualification at 9:20 when Sullivan hit the referee
Lex Luger pinned IRS at 8:06 with a roll up as IRS argued with the referee
Tony Anthony & the Dirty White Girl defeated Brian Lee & Tammy Fytch at 10:32 when Anthony pinned Lee with an inside cradle after the Dirty White Girl chased Fytch backstage
Brian, Scott, & Steve Armstrong defeated Owen Hart & Well Dunn at 10:40 when Scott pinned Timothy Well after a missile dropkick from Steve
Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson defeated SMW Tag Team Champions the Heavenly Bodies (w/ Jim Cornette) via disqualification at 16:20 when the referee saw Jimmy Del Ray with Cornette's tennis racquet
Bob Armstrong pinned Jim Cornette in a steel cage match at 6:00

Owen's about to work Bret at Mania and here he is teaming with jabronis and doing jobs for the Armstrongs.
If I recall this had to do with Vince wanting to fuck with WCW booking shows in that area and sent some talent to SMW. Might be conflating that with another show and another case.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jericho talked about it a bit in his first book. Was a combination of Cornette wanting to expand SMW's base to Atlanta which lined up neatly with Vince's desire to fuck over WCW. WCW's popularity cratered in their homebase in the early '90s. It wouldn't matter much anymore though once Hogan was brought in.

Looks like they did one more card where they brought Savage in a few months later
SMW @ Marietta, GA - Cobb County Civic Center - May 22, 1994 (340)
Scott & Steve Armstrong defeated NGWA Tag Team Champions New Jack & Mustafa via disqualification
Chris Jericho & Lance Storm defeated Well Dunn
Tracy Smothers pinned Dory Funk Jr.
SMW Tag Team Champions Brian Lee & Chris Candido defeated Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson
SMW Heavyweight Champion Jake Roberts & Bruiser Bedlam fought Randy Savage & the Dirty White Boy to a no contest

Crazy that Jake The Snake and Macho Man faced off again briefly in '94. And that the business was so shitty that they couldn't even get 400 people to go.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
@The Valeyard bringing up Sylvester Terkay in another thread made me want to see when he was last active.

His last match was in 2012 at an indie show in Guyana (watch your drinks in the bank) that is a trip.
This is essentially a 2006-08 WWE C show lineup (with a smattering of TNA people) but in 2012. Also Butterbean Vs Cliff Compton. Sylvester teams up with some guy I hadn't heard of named Paul Lee (which I wonder if it's "Nature Boy" Paul Lee cause if it is that's most random pairing) against Raven and '90s/early '00s indie prospect Tom Howard.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Tom Howard trained Cena and maybe Joe, I think? Definitely worked with Terkay. He was the big UPW guy when he wasn't comically out of place in Japan.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with some of the comments. That's a good indy card.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Grizzly Smith (ugh) running towns with JYD and his daughter in 1990. Mostly notable as apparently on their TV they had "WWF Ladies champ" Rockin Robin feuding with the AWA Ladies champ.
There's quite a few episodes of this promotion on YouTube (cue Brody moans). It's bizarre to see someone attempt Mid South style in 1990 but I guess not any less weird than seeing Watts himself try it in '92/'93 WCW...

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, I wish rural Wisconsin was getting indie cards like that in the 90s.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That sounds awesome. Brittany Bosoms just never got the right break.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This 2000 NWA World Title tournament is wild. All culminating with a Lights Out match between B. Brian Blair and Steve Keirn a mere 15 years past their prime.

Looking on Cagematch, Steve Keirn had a NJPW tour a year after this. The hell?

Damn if I'd gotten into indie wrestling a year and a half earlier, I could have seen Skinner Vs The Mountie.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I posted it here before, I want to post it again...
Later IWCCW card main evented by a rematch of the WrestleMania VI opener, young Hugh Morrus Vs a bootleg Doink, Greg Valentine and Tito Santana reigniting their rivalry a decade past its prime, THE PUTSKIS (who really should have faced Big Vito doing his Nazi gimmick), Jimmy Powers being the young up and comer into his forties, and BASTION BOOGER VS TONY ATLAS!

Harmonized moaning between me and @BruiserBrody

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looked up RYback's Cagematch after bumping his thread. I was agog to find out that he main evented an Australian indie tour in 2018. He alternated between wrestling Christopher Daniels and Suicide (The Caleb Konley version so we didn't set record for lowest cumulative amount of brain cells in one match) and in one case, beat them both in a triple threat.
CIMA, THawk and El Lindaman were on the undercard! Ryback main evented over the DRAGONGATE legends.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More cards that will only interest me and @BruiserBrody . The tournament for WWA World Heavyweight (Central States) Title in 1988 seems pretty free wheeling and honestly really loaded for a territory as crappy as Central States that late in its existence. Sgt. Slaughter, Tommy Rich, Dr. D in one of his last appearances, a young MASA CHONO inexplicably.

Granted, most of these guys were 5 years after their prime (or 5 years before in Chono's case) but still seem way too big to be jostling for Central States title!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More cards that will only interest me and @BruiserBrody . The tournament for WWA World Heavyweight (Central States) Title in 1988 seems pretty free wheeling and honestly really loaded for a territory as crappy as Central States that late in its existence. Sgt. Slaughter, Tommy Rich, Dr. D in one of his last appearances, a young MASA CHONO inexplicably.

Granted, most of these guys were 5 years after their prime (or 5 years before in Chono's case) but still seem way too big to be jostling for Central States title!

Not sure why Central States would try and rebrand with the same WWA name that Dick the Bruiser's dying promotion had. Depending on the exact time frame, The Great Wojo may have been the WWA World champ the same time as this tourney was held.

George would appear on AWA TV with the WWA title.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score