Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff related to Google Search

"As Google retools its algorithms and uses AI to transition from a search engine to a search and answer engine, some worry the result could be no less than an extinction-level event for the businesses that make much of your favourite content.

For example, data from the analytics tool SEMrush suggests that the website for New York Magazine lost 32% of its Google Search traffic in the past six months, while GQ.com shrank 26%. The data indicates Urban Dictionary, a wildly popular crowdsourced dictionary of English language slang, dropped some 18 million page views, amounting to more than half its Search traffic. OprahDaily.com was down nearly 58%.

Reddit isn't the only winner after Google's recent algorithm updates. SEMrush data shows that other user-generated sites such as Quora and Instagram saw similarly astronomical rises, and there were impressive spikes at LinkedIn and Wikipedia as well. (This is definitely something I've noticed in my Google searches, specifically Reddit and Quora being almost immediately at the top regardless of subject).

Hart says the site (Ready Steady Cut) hired consultants and pivoted to focus on Google's recommendations, spending sleepless nights working to update the site. After almost a year, none of it helped. "I wasted the last eight months of my life trying to follow Google's advice." he says. "Google claims they want content from people with first-hand experience and helpful context, and we're a massive example of that. It's just heartbreaking."

For example, Leiter says a search for "Best Slot Canyons Near Las Vegas" used to bring up an article on his website, World Travel Guy. However, a search earlier this week brought up an AI-generated response at the top of the page instead.

"Google has replaced my article with the giant AI Overview box, and it spits out an answer that is mostly wrong," Leiter says. "The first four places it lists are not even slot canyons. A slot canyon is a specific type of canyon with a narrow passageway, but the AI doesn't understand that. It's just listing random canyons and even a walking trail instead."