Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

RT Me in Person: The 2021 Independent Wrestling Compendium

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn’t hold my breath. MLW is the 4th or 5th largest promotion in the country and I think they were only paying their undercard talent IIRC $125 a week.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
While I don't see it happening any time soon, and I definitely don't see MLW being the one, the payment issue for undercard talent stops looking so bad when you realize they only ran...what? 2 shows a month? And let the talent work anywhere else BESIDES WWE/AEW? They could work ROH, Impact, NJPW, AJPW, etc.

That isn't really that bad. $125 for a couple hours of work, tops, and being allowed to be a legitimate independent contractor? Yeah. That was blown out of proportion.

"This part-time performance gig I do once a month doesn't pay me a liveable wage" is what the complaint could be boiled down to, really. And that makes it sound considerably worse.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
$125 a month definitely isn’t good considering MLW’s consistently draws in high hundreds and low thousands. If that was just what they gave them during the pandemic when they weren’t running attended shows though that seems fine.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I wish I could find the article where the low payouts were reported, but from what I can remember it was people on the level of Kotto Brasil and Madman Fulton getting that level of pay.

For 1-2 nights of work.

A month.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's not a hot dog and a greasy handshake but I definitely wouldn't say it's good. I make $125 working at the call center for an equivalent amount of times. And I'm not throwing my body on a canvas or on low level cable TV. But Idk the exact terms of the contract.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Comparatively, my highest paying job thus far would've needed me to work about 5-6 hours to make the same amount, which is comparable to what they were working for the same pay.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know if meals and transportation are covered either under their deal. If they are (or even one is) are then $125 is perfectly cromulent. If neither are then it's poverty wages.

And again if it's just $125 a month during the pandemic then that's better than most Americans are getting!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I know there was a back and forth between Jordan Oliver and Danny Demanto where Danny called that out, and Jordan said it wasn't a big deal, pretty much for the reason pointed out here. Jordan basically saying he can still work other places, so he didn't care about people like Danny calling it out.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
It's not that MLW doesn't have known issues about lowballing talent (wasn't that part of the reason DBS Jr. and Pillman Jr. left to work elsewhere?), it's that unknown talents shouldn't be complaining about getting $125 for 2-3 hours of work. At least not when they're allowed to take bookings anywhere else (but WWE/AEW) for any other dates in the month.

Like, do you think the job guys working ICW: NHB are making that much? Or the unknowns working Beyond?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It's not that MLW doesn't have known issues about lowballing talent (wasn't that part of the reason DBS Jr. and Pillman Jr. left to work elsewhere?), it's that unknown talents shouldn't be complaining about getting $125 for 2-3 hours of work. At least not when they're allowed to take bookings anywhere else (but WWE/AEW) for any other dates in the month.

Like, do you think the job guys working ICW: NHB are making that much? Or the unknowns working Beyond?

Oh, I totally agree with you. If it's a big name, I can understand them wanting to make more there, but the lower totem guys aren't going to make a lot, especially with the freedom to work (almost) everywhere else. It's a little surprising when you first see it. I know when I first saw the $125 price, I was taken aback thinking that a company with a TV deal, and multiple podcasts on their network, with many was to bring in revenue, would pay such a low price. But when I thought about it, it made sense. It's the same with Impact, and anywhere else not named WWE, AEW, and to an extent ROH.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Is there really an independent wrestler named PB Smooth? Is their tag partner PB Crunchy or Jimmy Jelly?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
PB Smooth is a super tall Ohio based wrestler. I am kind of surprised he isn’t signed somewhere based on how fucking huge he is (and he is pretty good from 1-2 matches I have seen of his). Maybe all of the major companies see the dumb name and think he can’t be any good.

also LA Gore is probably pissed everyone thinks these gimmick names started with CM Punk.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also they left JT Dunn off the list of indy wrestlers who use initials for their first name. Which is hilarious since he is definitely the most CM Punk inspired out of any of them.

I think the rise is mostly cause it's more acceptable for millennials to go by initials. Most of these guys it's just their shoot initials. MV Young was explaining that his IRL name is Mike Young and sounds way too generic and jobber-ish.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Similar to Young, I think that VSK that was trained by Brian Myers and has worked AEW Dark does the same. I want to say his real name (or at least former ring name) is Vinnie Scalice so the VSK is Vinnie Scalice King.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
c2xboilj0wi61.jpg

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Isn’t that store in your area, @Big Beard Booty Daddy ? It seems weird that a store in NYC (well outside of Staten Island) would cater to maskless idiots.

more importantly, are you going to go to this and pick up something for @Baby Shoes ?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Isn’t that store in your area, @Big Beard Booty Daddy ? It seems weird that a store in NYC (well outside of Staten Island) would cater to maskless idiots.

more importantly, are you going to go to this and pick up something for @Baby Shoes ?

Unfortunately it is the store I go to. The owner has said that it's up to the talent if they want to take pictures with or without masks. This is the first time someone like Aries has put out a shit message, though. All the talent I've met have had masks, but some removed them jut for the picture and put it back on once they were done. I was supposed to go today to meet Reynolds and Silver, but thought it was next Sunday, so I missed it, but they had plexiglass up since that's part of the AEW M&G rules.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I think this store is just run by some super marks, which I guess you would have to be to have a wrestling store.

They talk about this place regularly on the Myers/Cardona podcast and they both talked about signings they had and some old-timers had (as Myers is trying to get a few sets of retro figures autographed) and everything before seemed like strict mask policies. Guessing the moron Aries made it a term of his visit and rather than declining to bring him in, they catered to his dumb wishes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
EC9BF19D-ADD0-40FA-A3DE-7E8383118BE9.jpegOh brother. Austin Aries is now selling tinfoil hats. I guess sell what ya now.

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think this store is just run by some super marks, which I guess you would have to be to have a wrestling store.

They talk about this place regularly on the Myers/Cardona podcast and they both talked about signings they had and some old-timers had (as Myers is trying to get a few sets of retro figures autographed) and everything before seemed like strict mask policies. Guessing the moron Aries made it a term of his visit and rather than declining to bring him in, they catered to his dumb wishes.

He used to be the owner of ICW: NY before he sold it to Danny Demanto and it was changed to ICW: No Holds Barred. That's actually how he was able to get connected over the years with some of the wrestlers. He mostly brings in older former stars, ECW wrestlers, and some newer wrestlers, but the bread and butter is old former wrestlers.

He started the store as a wrestling video/comics/and merch store. I used to rent Japanese deathmatch videos from him back in the early 2000s. Now he has a wrestling store, around the corner he has a second store for sports cards and comics. He recently opened another store on Long Island, and is working on opening more around the North East with Boston being the next destination.