Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sick card, bro: The GCW Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really hope GCW gets a halfway decent production team and has Dave Prazak do PBP instead of GD KG.

It's exciting to see a true indie reach the level to run a Hammerstein Ballroom but there's too many irritating aspects of their presentation that will drive away a remotely casual fan and kill any attempt to generate any long term interest.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GCW's big announcement is they're running the Hammerstein Ballroom in January. You know what? Good for them. They earned this.

A lot of people talking shit about this announcement being hyped as a "major announcement" but its really a big deal, and has been Brets white whale for a long time.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It's exciting to see a true indie reach the level to run a Hammerstein Ballroom but there's too many irritating aspects of their presentation that will drive away a remotely casual fan and kill any attempt to generate any long term interest.
Yep. GCW has so much hype behind them, but anybody that isn't already interested in the product will likely take one look at half their roster and wonder why people enjoy the show.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Hopefully GCW becomes big enough that Janella will need to take on a bigger role and spend all his time doing work for them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of people talking shit about this announcement being hyped as a "major announcement" but its really a big deal, and has been Brets white whale for a long time.
A lot of people talking shit would give their left nut to have their promotion run Hammerstein Ballroom.

It just seems rich to make fun of a promotion for being excited to run Hammerstein when you're watching geeks punch each other on dirt rodeo floors.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
A lot of people talking shit would give their left nut to have their promotion run Hammerstein Ballroom.

It just seems rich to make fun of a promotion for being excited to run Hammerstein when you're watching geeks punch each other on dirt rodeo floors.
You should probably edit that to trading forearms on dirt rodeo floors. FOREARM

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really like Star Boy Charlie. He’s still growing and even when he’s done, he’s going to be on the smaller side but he makes what he does do make sense.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Did the IWC suddenly forget that they hate Davey Richards? He's been getting a lot of high profile bookings since returning from his latest hiatus.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did the IWC suddenly forget that they hate Davey Richards? He's been getting a lot of high profile bookings since returning from his latest hiatus.
No

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
People remember they hate Richards but aside from no-showing for Ian Rotten because he had no one to watch his kid, he's made all his bookings, had pretty good matches, and put some younger guys over. So most people have a "I know he's going to fuck up but until he does I'm excited" mind set.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Has the work been solid? I will argue up and down that he was one of the best US indie workers in 2009-2011 but the ROH World title run did him in. Really dug his Impact run w/ Eddie, too.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I've seen one or two of his matches on this comeback on IWTV and both were really good. Heard good things about his other matches too.

Staff member
Reaction score
Has the work been solid? I will argue up and down that he was one of the best US indie workers in 2009-2011 but the ROH World title run did him in. Really dug his Impact run w/ Eddie, too.

Yes and it wasn't very similar to his previous work.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
P. good idea. California scene has been severely under showcased even after the rise of Young Bucks, Jeff Cobb, etc and this gives an opportunity to showcase young talent.

I know people mention PWG but I think over half their talent is people flown in from the East Coast.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
P. good idea. California scene has been severely under showcased even after the rise of Young Bucks, Jeff Cobb, etc and this gives an opportunity to showcase young talent.

I know people mention PWG but I think over half their talent is people flown in from the East Coast.

Plus the shows will be live, for free on YouTube. I'm so excited.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pissed about that, but I should have fun in DC. Ah well.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score

GCW has 3 titles (World, Tag, Deathmatch), and none are held by GCW wrestlers (Moxley, Briscoes, Drew Parker). I had no problem with Moxley holding the world, since of his connection to GCW and the world of deathmatches. I didn’t mind Parker beating Alex Colon for the Deathmatch title since he would bring it to Japan and help build it up as a world title during a time when it wasn’t easy to travel to Japan. I don’t like the Briscoes holding the tag titles. This was their first match in GCW, they have no connection to the company. I don’t have a problem with Brett getting more publicity for GCW and brining in wrestlers that will help with that, but to have 0 titles on their talent just doesn’t sit right with me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. That's another glaring flaw about GCW. They really hype up the fact that they have performers like Effy, Allie Katch, Alex Colon etc that you can't see in any other promotion but then they're constantly having their mainstays put over visiting and/or part time talent*. Which, fine, most every indy promotion does this but GCW's supposed image is that they're not the average independent!

*This makes them sound like the hipster version of WWE...which is downright odd to think about.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
My guess is Dickinson and Starboy Charlie beat the Briscoes at Hammerstein for the titles. I’d have Colon go over Mox, and Cogar beat Drew Parker for the Deathmatch title. Although I’m very interested to see where this Cogar vs Jordan Oliver story is going.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nice. If I'm Joe Koff, I'm using whatever resources I have left to hitch ROH to the GCW action. I feel like it could be a mutually beneficial relationship. They know how to produce a TV show (no matter how bland/plain it is), GCW knows how to generate excitement but needs desperate assistance with structuring their shows. IDK. It could be decent!