Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Best of Standup Comedy?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Oh man we could be in a world where H3H3 gets Trump. Worst radio anyone could ask for in that world, though.

I bet Stern would if asked. It'd be an awful interview where nothing is said and despite how they hate each other now nothing funny would happen, at least it isn't Russell Brand.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I haven't kept up. Has Richard Jeni happened?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 1 was, Chris Farley, Andrew Dice Clay, Rosanne, Artie Lange, Richard pryor, Dustin Diamond, Greg Giraldo, Brett Butler, Freddie Prinze, and Maria Bamford. Most of the episodes were decent as a casual follower of standup or comedy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of Opie & Anthony fans are having a totally normal, levelheaded reaction to Jim Norton marrying a trans woman.

Do they not know who Jim Norton is? Of course, a lot of them are so misogynistic that they’d be just as mad if he married a ciswoman.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I thought Norton was very pro LBTQ? That's why he got more shine in the mainstream than those other dicks.

I still miss Patrice.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jim Norton has been very open about his attraction to trans women. A lot of them are mad he just married one.

Valeyard

Reaction score
You would think a reptillian marrying a trans woman would be a more positive watershed moment.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems fun…

I am bummed seeing some of the names that Carolla brought in to do the heavy lifting though.

No, guys, I am not paying $6,000 to go to this next year.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

I'm kind of in the middle in regards to the Hasan Minhaj thing. While I do think what he did was dumb, I don't think he deserved to be "cancelled" over it (if that's what's actually being done to him).

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn, Violent J got thin as well? Only Paul Walter Hauser and Guy Fieri are carrying the weight of the fat celebrity.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Does Vampiro still have Alzheimer's?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Not stand up comedy but Radio City Music Hall is hosting, for whatever reason, Jordan Peterson in April. I didn't think such a Blue city would have anything to do with that numbskull. Maybe most attendees will be Long Islanders and Upstaters.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Went to see Seinfeld in Milwaukee on Sat night. Now 70 (IIRC) he was still sharp and full of energy. He went nearly an hour and most of his bits earned a laugh.
His comedy hit on common themes (Our love of phones now, Marriage is hard on men, how we coddle kids now vs his parents generation, energy drinks, streaming services etc) The only bit that may have felt slightly out of place was an extended take on Flex seal and how he loves the infomercial. It felt like a dated bit to me.

The theater is old and built for people who are 185 pounds to sit side by side. I'm 300 and my buddy is pushing 360-400 so we were wedged in the middle of a sold out mass of humanity. When the woman came up next to my buddy for her seat she literally looked at the situation with my buddy overhanging halfway into her seat and told her husband "I can't fit here" outloud.
To make matters worse my buddy had been wearing a coat as it was 45 and rainy so he was sweating after the hike from the hotel to Seinfeld. His sweaty meat was leaned in on me, so I knew this woman's pain.
The guy next to me showed up way late - like after the opening act and Jerry's first 10 mins, so we had to rearrange in the dark.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I should have stayed on Twitter so you weren’t only following right wing aggregate and old school wrestling accounts!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I need @Valeyard ’s take on the Michael Ian Black-Andrew Dice Clay beef.

(Michael Ian Black was definitely being the bigger asshole here btw. As a famous headliner, he can literally prepare wherever he wants and walk into the venue right before his set. Yeah, Dice shouldn’t have squatted in the green room or threatened to punch him but MIB was definitely being a troll. “I didn’t have anywhere to go except stand by a warming table and get in the staff’s way.” Maybe if you were an opener getting $25 a set but trust me, Michael Ian Black could have gone somewhere else)

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
MIB definitely should have difused the situation better but I'm more on his side than Dice's. I don't think MIB would have minded if Dice was still chilling in the green room but he had every right to be there as well. His show was over and had no right to lock the evening headliner out of the only room he can possibly be. Yeah, he could have gone somewhere else but as stated, you gotta stand your own ground sometimes and call people out when they're being assholes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dice didn’t lock him out, he just asked him to leave the room. Granted Dice’s reasons were BS but still it feels like there are a lot of times Michael Ian Black could have taken a walk before an old greaser threatened to deck him.

I place a lot of the blame on the club manager who sounds like they did absolutely nothing to de-escalate the situation. This would be nothing if they had just said “Ykw? Michael, just hang out in my office.”

Also who the hell books an Andrew Dice Clay/Michael Ian Black double header? Florida, man.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They’re both in the wrong really. Comic I featured for the other weekend had a bunch of his annoying Xer college buddies flood the green room. I just took a walk, ordered some takeout and ate it in the lobby of the hotel the club was in.

Michael Ian Black had options. Looking at Google Map of comedy club, it seems like there were plenty of places he could have chilled out. There’s a Publix next door, @Incandenza . Instead he had to demand the green room. Yeah, he is the headliner but that night had two headliners. If you’re not going to share the green room then someone has to budge and Dice has seniority and is the bigger comic tbh.

Manager should have done a better job of intervening instead of almost letting a 66 year old greaser punch a 55 year old snarky fuckface and ruining their late show.