Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The BIGLY Discussion of Anime/Manga Thread

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Stuff from this season I'm watching, not watching AOT because i'm still way behind on it.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom 2
The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt
-These two are similar in that really smart dudes take over weak kingdoms and start transforming them into powers. The former seems like it's starting to transform into a harem show slowly which is eh.

Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department- Only watched the first ep but it feels like a fun parody of Power Rangers and shows like that except from the bad guys side. She works trying to develop all the Monsters for the bad guys.

Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc- I was not as big on this shows first season as most people but this is just fucking fantastic. There's one episode left and unless it goes off the rails it's basically a 10/10. Animation is the best I've seen. Fucking beautiful.

LOVE of KILL- A killer falls for/stalks a bounty hunter and there's a web of intrigue~

In the Land of Leadale- comedic isekai thing.

Orient- Japan gets taken over by demons and almost everyone accepts it except for small groups of wandering samurai in big floating fortresses. Two young dudes grow up wanting to be Samurai. This show is pretty fun Shonen stuff.

Rust-Eater Bisco- Post-Apocalyptic Japan where everything is covered in, wait for it- Rust. Bisco is a Mushroom keeper who shoots arrows that grows gigantic fucking mushrooms and is hunting for the ultimate mushroom to cure the Rust. This is pretty fun.

I need to finish Platinum End, Blue Period, and a couple other things. I finished Komi Can't Communicate a while ago and really enjoyed that.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally knocked out Eden's Zero and the 5th Season of My Hero Academia. Good stuff on both ends! I also <3 Himiko Toga

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funimation and Crunchyroll are now merged. Everything new will be going up on Croll. If you had an account with Funimation you'll get a 60 day free trial with Croll. Of course I have a yearly membership with Funimation so that feels pretty lame! Croll at least ATM also doesn't have an app that works on the tv whereas funimation did (which is why I had funimation) so hopefully they get on that.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty frustrated considering I started a new yearly sub on Funi at the end of December. I sent them an email bitching about it. 2 months of free Croll (if you're new) isn't much compensation.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
apparently some people have been able to get them to transfer the time left on their yearly subs over to their croll accounts if they give them their info. going to try to do that

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the Jujutsu Kaisan movie is in theaters and did a huge number this weekend. Just shy of 18 million and only second to Batman. It's a prequel to the main show from what I know (I haven't seen it yet) so you shouldn't need to have seen it yet. @Brooklyn Zoo is it playing near you?

the newest (the third) My Hero movie is also popping up on torrent sites now and should be out on dvd in NA anytime now.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the My Hero movie. Not as amazing as the show but still a fun time. The big final fight is appropriately epic and I wish I could have seen it on a movie screen but it still looked beautiful on my 4k tv.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up the original Neon Genesis Evolution Complete Series on Blu-Ray along with the 4K of Weathering With You, which I'm really excited to check out as I adored Your Name.

Reaction score
the Jujutsu Kaisan movie is in theaters and did a huge number this weekend. Just shy of 18 million and only second to Batman. It's a prequel to the main show from what I know (I haven't seen it yet) so you shouldn't need to have seen it yet. @Brooklyn Zoo is it playing near you?

the newest (the third) My Hero movie is also popping up on torrent sites now and should be out on dvd in NA anytime now.

A few friends of mine are watching it already. May check it out but may also wait till it’s streaming. When is season 2 supposed to come out?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
looks like not until next year, making the movie probably set it back since they put all their effort into that as well as making sure the manga was well ahead.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm at the point where I'm sending polite-angry DM's to Funimations twitter. It's been 27 days! They haven;t even been responding to my emails since the 5th. Fucking infuriating.

I finally finished Blue Period. I'm not an "art" guy at all but I thought it was a really great show. I've also been enjoying "March Comes In Like A Lion" which is about a teenage Shogi champion and his relationships. I don't understand Shogi at all (I am a checkers man) but it's much more about the interactions.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Looks like this was so successful that it got released in a ton more theaters here including the big theater here so I'm going to go see it tonight with my oldest son. He's not as huge a anime guy as I am but he's into some of the big stuff and this is one he watched. Seeing it in SUBS NOT DUBS~

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've also started watching Platinum End now that the whole run has finished. It's very good but so far (8 episodes) it isn't Death Note good by any means. Light was a far more interesting protagonist/antagonist (however you view him). Still enjoying it a lot though. Anyone else stick with it?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
oof the next few episodes of this are making me regret my nice opinions. This protagonist is insufferable. IT'S ALWAYS WRONG TO KILL PEOPLE~~~~! No matter what fucking scenario he's presented with including the death of MILLIONS he won't budge. I can't stand him. He's a moral coward.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
oh wow this is dog shit. I ended up making it 16 episodes and then read the summaries/reviews and then watched the last episode because everyone was saying it has one of the worst endings of all-time and...yeah it does.

a secondary character not introduced until very late in the show and is a emo whiny bitch becomes God because no one else wants to and he kills himself and all of existence is destroyed.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's very bloody. Future Diary has the blood and fights but it also has way way more interesting characters and hilarious over the top shenanigans, so if I want to watch a weird show about God Candidates killing each other I'll just watch that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Banged out Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Development Department. Fun stuff!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching a ton of shows this season, gonna wait a few more episodes in before I mention any of them to see if I drop any but

is giving big Higurashi When They Cry vibes after the first episode. @MFer might want to give this a shot at some point since he liked WTC

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Starting up Spy X Family and Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie from this season. Also catching up on Demon Slayer via Netflix.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
now that we're several episodes in here's what I'm watching this season (I've got a couple others like Rising of the Shield Hero 2 that I'm letting pile up):

Comedy~
Spy x Family-This is Superb. World's greatest spy has to get a fake family and go undercover. The kid he finds is a telepath. The woman he finds is an assassin. The adults have no clue and the kid works constantly to keep it that way.

Aharen Is Indecipherable- Similar to Komi to some extent. Aharen can't judge distances but literally and in relationships. @HarleyQuinn would like this a lot. Very funny and cute.

Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - Ultra Romantic- third season of this. one of my favourite shows.

I'm Quitting Heroing- The Hero beats the Demon Lord...and gets rejected by everyone because he's so OP. So he decides to go help the Demon Lord rebuild. Pretty funny.

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie- Ultra Klutz dates super cool girl and comedy. hard to describe but its amusing.

Love After World Domination- If the Red Power Ranger tried to have a secret relationship with one of the enemy leaders. Really funny.

Don't Hurt Me, My Healer!- Normal knight just wants to adventure but ends up in a party with a sadistic elf healer. Only watched the first episode but its really funny. Reminds me a little of Konosuba.

Isekai , so many Isekai
Skeleton Knight in Another World- Wakes up and he's in a RPG. the big thing that differentiates this from other shit is that he had bought a Skeleton skin and he's stuck wearing it. Also the opening theme is fucking pure ROCK. Gonna link to it and do yourself a favour and watch it.

Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs- This shouldn't be as good as it is. Guy is reborn in a sim he was forced by his sister to beat. It's a world where men are treated liket rash and have to compte to marry. He wants to just live a boring life (as a background aka mob character) but of course can't.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life- Really cool flip of the concept. Otherworlders are considered dangerous because their powers have caused massive WMD damage (destroying entire continents) and summoning them is forbidden. When another is summoned an Executioner has to do something.

The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody- Semi-Isekai because he's reborn in his own world. Ultra powered dude is tired of being awesome and decides to be reborn thousands of years later hoping he can just be a Nobody. Except everyone is weak when he's reborn. It's a lot like several other shows meshed together but not bad so far.

Other
Summertime Render- Guy returns to island he was raised on for funeral of a friend and uncovers a mystery. Any ral info would be spoilers but this ireminds me so much of Higurashi. HIGH reccomend.

Tomodachi Game- I don't know if the Squid Game people had read the Manga for this or waht but there's some clear similarities. A group of friends get abducted and told they have to play a bunch of kid games to clear debt. Everything is engineered to break their friendships. HIGH reccomend for @Brooklyn Zoo

The Dawn of the Witch- This might end up a drop but basically magic users fought a war against the church and now have a school. The main protagonist has amnesia. It is super obvious what his identity is.