Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWE Network stuff

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Hell yeah. Catering me and my fellow New Generation kids after the Rumble.
Hogan pretending to be sorry for politicking himself into a title run amused me.

Good watch, but a bit odd they built up so much before Mania 9 and then blew through everything else with little mention of anything wrestling wise. The Vader leg break angle, his run with Taker, his title runs with Owen, and his last appearance at Survivor Series 96 seem noteworthy.

I also enjoyed seeing crystal clear AWA footage, and hope that stuff escapes the vault some day.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like that even Bruce had to sheepishly admit that the ending to WrestleMania IX's main event was straight garbage. I feel like that moment completely ruined what should have been the New Generation's coming out party.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haven’t watched the Yoko network special yet, but on one of Bruce’s podcasts a few years ago, he tried to explain that they had to put the title on Hogan because there was a European tour coming up after WM9 that they needed to have him headline as champion. Conrad pointed out that Hogan never ended up even wrestling on the tour, so after somehow dragging this out for 10 minutes of twisted logic and pure bullshit, Bruce finally gave up and basically said, “Yeah, I don’t know.”

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haven’t watched the Yoko network special yet, but on one of Bruce’s podcasts a few years ago, he tried to explain that they had to put the title on Hogan because there was a European tour coming up after WM9 that they needed to have him headline as champion. Conrad pointed out that Hogan never ended up even wrestling on the tour, so after somehow dragging this out for 10 minutes of twisted logic and pure bullshit, Bruce finally gave up and basically said, “Yeah, I don’t know.”
That's kind of whack as they said the same thing on the doc and showed a pic of Hogan coming to the ring to face Yoko, allegedly from that tour.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hulk Hogan DID face Yokozuna on an European tour but it was in July/August '93 after Hulkster lost the title.

I *think* Hogan's logic was that Yokozuna would get the rub by beating him twice but most wrestling fans would have only seen the WrestleMania IX matches and not the rematches. And besides I think he won those European house show matches by DQ...

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gonna watch the doc today, but as maybe the biggest fan and defender of Wrestlemania 9, that was bullshit to a hilarious degree. From Bret telling Hogan to go fight Yoko to the finish itself, it's the best double-kill in wrestling history. But with that being said it hurt Yoko a LOT more than it should have because Hogan didn't appear on TV in person between then and KOTR. If Hogan at least made it seem like he was around, that he gave a shit about being the champion and that he knew he had a monster after him, even if it was the same promo he'd cut for five years, it would've made Yoko more of a threat in my eyes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Weird thing is Hogan WAS actually semi-regularly doing house show main events in the Spring of '93----with Brutus Beefcake against Money Inc (with Sgt. Slaughter as referee occasionally) in a rematch for the WWF Tag Team Titles. Which makes the whole thing even worse!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I know the matches would be some of the worst ever, but man if he had to pull that overshadowing bullshit it should've been with Taker and Gonzalez. He would've seriously put one of them over, too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know the matches would be some of the worst ever, but man if he had to pull that overshadowing bullshit it should've been with Taker and Gonzalez. He would've seriously put one of them over, too.
They teased a Hulk Hogan-Giant Gonzalez feud during a Money Inc-Mega Maniacs lumberjack match dark match main event for the set of TV tapings after KOTR '93. Thought of how funny bad a '93 Hulkster-Giant Gonzalez match would be makes me salivate.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, what else happened during Hogan’s title reign after WM9? Welp... From May 1993:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
God, is there any babyface more insufferable than '92-'93 Hogan?

Literally any other wrestler who shits on a title like that would have been punished.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I almost said '92-early '96 Hulk Hogan but at least, Hulk Hogan briefly seemed less annoying when he switched companies before everyone realized "Wait. WTF? Now he's ruining WCW."

But I would go as far back as late '91 for start of Hogan's most annoying period. He threw Undertaker's parents ashes in his face!

Valeyard

Reaction score
They teased a Hulk Hogan-Giant Gonzalez feud during a Money Inc-Mega Maniacs lumberjack match dark match main event for the set of TV tapings after KOTR '93. Thought of how funny bad a '93 Hulkster-Giant Gonzalez match would be makes me salivate.

Gonzalez was Hogan's dream kind of opponent. Too bad that didn't materialize. Gonzalez would've been the PERFECT Dungeon of Doom guy.

Did Brutus ever get back on TV when Hogan went on hiatus?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gonzalez was Hogan's dream kind of opponent. Too bad that didn't materialize. Gonzalez would've been the PERFECT Dungeon of Doom guy.

Did Brutus ever get back on TV when Hogan went on hiatus?
Checked historyofwwe.com and Beefcake's last televised appearance for WWF was on the May 2 Wrestling Challenge show where Hogan was being interviewed on the set of Thunder in Paradise. He had no appearances between then and WM IX.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw that trailer earlier today. Seems like horrible timing for WWE Network to branch into non (pro) wrestling programming but whatcanyado?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would argue it’s better if it means something like that can be billboarded on Peacock and since it’s not RASSLIN, you might get more eyes on it. Is there a market for documentaries on female high school wrestlers? Possibly not, but you don’t know what you don’t know.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would argue it’s better if it means something like that can be billboarded on Peacock and since it’s not RASSLIN, you might get more eyes on it. Is there a market for documentaries on female high school wrestlers? Possibly not, but you don’t know what you don’t know.
Women empowerment brah. Girl wrestles boys and wins a state title? She'll get a parade on MSNBC.

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
Okay, for some reason my WWE Network is not working. I don't know if there's online traffic problems, but this sucks. How will my mother and I be able to that WCCW binge when our food gets here?

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
Speaking of WWEN on Peacock, how about opening a sub-forum for the Network on this forum for WWEN stuff like we did a few years ago when the Network initially started?

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
Does Vince or WWE own the late Eddie Graham's CWF video library and Col. Robert Fuller's GCW video library. If so, can they be added to WWEN on Peacock?