Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2024 Indie Wrestling Thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That show is going to be huge. Trying my best to get there. For reasons I can't explain I've been on a huge Roddy kick so I gotta the messiah.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Oddly, I think since AEW started, independent wrestling has kind of emulated mid ‘00s and on WWE where the draw is more the spectacle and variety of live wrestling than any individual talent.
That's a fair assessment, and helps explain why it's nigh impossible for me to find a company that I really want to watch regularly besides MLW.

Indie wrestling's mantra was codified by ECW in 1995. "This is what you won't see on prime time." That bled directly into the popularity of CZW and XPW after ECW died, and helped give rise to ROH and its "puro American style" MO when WWE was filled with DQs and surprise roll-up finishes. Indie wrestling felt like it was geared toward adults who wanted a mature product, whether that meant ample violence (CZW, IWA-MS) or a legitimate focus on in-ring quality (ROH, mid period PWG).

What the shit do we have now? AEW took the 2010s indie style of highspot-laden cartoonishness and made it mainstream, WWE has shown a renewed focus on a "four quadrant" wrestling product...how does a company even stand out anymore?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
The best Indy promotions these days just put on fun shows and have their shit together. Book good venues and have a solid reputation. And there’s a niche for death match promotions, for better or worse.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
The best Indy promotions these days just put on fun shows and have their shit together. Book good venues and have a solid reputation. And there’s a niche for death match promotions, for better or worse.
I re-entered this thread to start chatting about a few other places I've found, Fight Life (out of SEMA, just 7 years after I left the area) and AIW.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't get the Lio Rush gimmick. I'm also not the biggest Rush fan, so this match is on the lower end, but they have Shelley/Sabin on the card now. Money is tight and could work out this week but man. MAN.

Rapper is black, btw.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tbh Amazing Red gave one of the most bored, phoning it in performances I have seen from a visiting star ever. It was him and Anthony Gangone against Private Party and it was like they set out to have the most unexciting time killer, mid card tag team match ever.

With that non endorsement out of the way cut was still exciting to see a guy on the Mt. Rushmore of Asylum era TNA guys.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
What's he been accused of besides Ronda's sweatpants?

I think it's a bad move because Gulak is boring as fuck, personally, but that's me.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's not that he's a sex pest on the level of Riddle (who Beyond thankfully has not booked), just that he was called out by Ronda then quickly dumped by WWE.

Also, yeah, even Ronda scandal aside, Drew had a pretty good run in Beyond but it wasn't like he was one of THE guys there like Biff. Plus he was almost exclusively comedy filler during his WWE run (awesome mini-feud with Daniel Bryan aside) so it's odd he is being presented as a returning, conquering hero.

It really illustrates the somewhat sad state of independent wrestling in 2024. Beyond used to bring in Penta, The Young Bucks, and Kevin Steen for Americanrana and now the show is built around Drew Gulak.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I don't think the state of indie wrestling has been this dour since just before the indie boom of the early 00s, realistically. Maybe the rise in Bloodsport's popularity will kick off a shoot-style wave, but I don't see that flavor being anything but super niche after two decades of audiences being trained to idealize dramatic give/take finishing sequences.

There'll need to be a crop of indie talent that, much like the ones booked for the primordial soup days of ROH, look at the current scope and decide, altogether, that they want to present something you aren't seeing on cable TV.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thing is pro wrestling is so hot right now that I think the Indies are able to coast. Beyond and Limitless shows are more well attended than they were 5-10 years ago even though the talent depth is so much thinner. I've been predicting a crash for indie wrestling for five years now and whatever it's lost in quality (at least in the eyes of me and Laz), it really hasn't shown in a decrease in fan interest around here.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Red vs Lio Rush (in his omg he's so crazy and weird gimmick) is going down at Prestige. I feel like Red might not bust his ass the same for that.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kind of doubt Red will even bust ass for the Swerve match. That is probably why Tony Khan is allowing the AEW World Champ appear at an indie show in front of 2000 mooks* in Queens.

Brody: Isn’t that a normal AEW Dynamite audience?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting timing to announce this show on the weekend that Dijak becomes a free agent. Dijak nearly got them banned from this venue back in 2016 after he wrecked their soundboard by getting water all over it (from a bottle he smashed on an opponent's head). That was also the night I met @Lazgistics Supervisor IRL IIRC. Beyond has come back to Providence 1-2 times since but it still seems like kind of a precarious situation (Owner of Beyond sent me a furious DM after I made a joke about keeping the soundboard dry on Twitter when announced their return).

Valeyard

Reaction score
Prestige already has Dijak booked for September.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Interesting timing to announce this show on the weekend that Dijak becomes a free agent. Dijak nearly got them banned from this venue back in 2016 after he wrecked their soundboard by getting water all over it (from a bottle he smashed on an opponent's head). That was also the night I met @Lazgistics Supervisor IRL IIRC. Beyond has come back to Providence 1-2 times since but it still seems like kind of a precarious situation (Owner of Beyond sent me a furious DM after I made a joke about keeping the soundboard dry on Twitter when announced their return).
Yep. You were all kinds of fucked up, too, and that was before AR Fox and B-Boy passed that blunt around.

I remember yelling "I AM THE TABLE" super loud when someone (I think JT Dunn?) was slammed onto one and it didn't break. And getting awkward stares. Fucking nerds not getting running Botchamania gags...

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Picking up on this year's IWS Scarred 4 Life, the theme is IWS vs. GCW. After being mostly through it? It is so painfully obvious that the IWS talents are better, in nearly every way, than the GCW ones. There are a few exceptions, but then we get stuff like Bussy/TDT, where nothing that either Effy or Allie do looks even remotely as good as basic headlocks from TDT.

In another era, TDT would be seen as a team to watch. Damn shame they stayed so loyal to Manny in a sense, because there's a world where Thomas Dubois is working Monday nights.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of watching VxS Arrival 2, and I'm digging it. It's a pretty basic indie, and the commentary feels more like snark for snark's sake than legitimately hyping the action, but there's a very solid match between Kevin Blackwood and Jackson Drake that feels like something out of the ROH midcard circa 2009 in a good way.

Jackson Drake is going to be someone to keep an eye on. He's still green as hell, but he's got considerable height over most indie talents (6 feet even), has a look that can best be described as "twink Randy Orton," and can clearly wrestle. In fact, the weakness of the match with Blackwood is when Drake tries doing some minor flippy shit, which just looks awkward due to both how lanky he is and his obvious lack of comfort.

His biggest strength, though, is his selling. There's a spot where he's hung over the ropes and Blackwood nails an avalanche double stomp (and this was done QUICKLY, a testament to both), and Drake's facial expression and ragdolling are just *chef's kiss*.

I'd give Blackwood/Drake ***, but that Drake fella is one to look for.

EDIT:
After, Drake cuts a half decent promo, and says he'll continue to deliver as long as he's put in the ring with the best wrestlers in the world. He specifically says he doesn't care if it's anybody from NXT, from Pro Wrestling NOAH, or from TNA...

...AND OUT COMES MOOSE.

I never thought I'd look forward to a Moose match, like legitimately be interested in it beyond "this shouldn't be too bad," but damn I'm interested in seeing how that one turns out.

Last edited: