Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

30 for 30/Sports Documentaries Discussion

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
The latest 30 for 30 on Felipe Lopez was pretty fascinating, roughly a basketball version of the Marcus Dupree story.

I can't wait to see this one. My first job was working at a movie theater near St. John's University. He came in one night. He was nothing but a class act. Really like the dude.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I watched the Junior Seau episode. I was really down by the end of it. His downfall and ending was bad enough, and seeing his mother bawling, plus hearing his girlfriend describe unknowingly jumping on his dead body really put it over the top.

It came down hard enough on CTE that I was a little surprised ESPN aired it without fearing the NFL's backlash.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the Seau ep not too long ago as well, and it was quite a downer. I had forgotten about his mother breaking down at the press conference which was bad enough, but seeing his kids having to grow up with a severely compromised father was rough.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The Untold episode on Netflix about The Malice at the Palace is some really awesome, fascinating stuff. Definitely worth the watch.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The Tuck Rule episode is airing tomorrow night, 2/6, at 8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT on ESPN.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
HBO Max's The Scheme is a fantastic look inside the world of college basketball recruiting/pay offs/agents to the NBA, etc. Definitely worth the watch.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3 Part Dream On 30/30 covering the '96 Women's Olympic team was really awesome. Well worth a watch if you're into basketball history and that era of NBA Entertainment production.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe could be good? Idk. Fact it's from some of the producers of The Last Dance is promising but I never found the '08 US Basketball Team super interesting. I'd rather see a documentary on the '04 US Basketball team that messed everything up!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I always love episodes on cultural touchstone moments like that which fall a bit "under the radar" but prove fascinating in their own right.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The "Bullies of Baltimore" episode was good stuff. I do think they're a little overrated as they beat up a 15th in PPG New York Giants for the SB (who smoked the 24th in PAPG Vikings in the NFC Title Game) but that defense was legitimately suffocating and nasty.

Trent Dilfer gets far too much flack IMO for being the QB of that team considering how hard it is to make the Super Bowl let alone win it. Billick went 10-6 in 2001 and 2003 in the ensuing years with a rotating cast of QBs and virtually the same defense. Nobody knocks Jim McMahon for being the QB of the '85 Chicago Bears with Walter Payton and that defense.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Part 1 of the Gladiators doc was pretty good. Looking forward to part 2 tomorrow.

It was interesting to see who they got for interviews (Sabre! Gemini! Elektra! 2 Scoops!!!), who declined (Ice, Nitro, Laser and several others), and who was treated as though they never existed. Turbo, who appeared in 100 episodes, wasn’t even seen in B-roll footage. No mention of Larry Csonka either. Meanwhile, Malibu, who did a total of 13 episodes in the first half of season 1, was presented as one of the biggest faces of the show.

Also, I wonder how long this has been in the works. Thunder had a lot of screen time for interviews, and
he died almost 2 years ago.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Both parts were pretty good. I liked the shift to trying to find "Apache" Dann but I felt like the first part was better paced.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Both parts were pretty good. I liked the shift to trying to find "Apache" Dann but I felt like the first part was better paced.
Netflix did a better, more interesting "Unauthorized" Documentary called Muscles & Mayhem because it largely focuses on the gladiators themselves and covers a lot more of the situations in-depth with more detail.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I really liked Muscles & Mayhem. Nitro, Gemini, Ice, Zap, Laser and all the gladiators came off great and really likable. Nitro was pretty funny throughout. The producers and crew of the series came off pretty badly. That pervy Bob Levy guy didn't come off as funny or quirky and instead just repulsed me and made my skin crawl.

Also, Turbo was nowhere to be found on this doc either. #JusticeForTurbo

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally watching the Reggie White 30 for 30.
Crying only mins in.

- The Red Lobster they mention taking Reggie to during his Packer recruitment stop is still open. It is basically the last line of business by Lambeau that the Pack haven't bought and bulldozed to put up their own hotels and bars.
- LOL at Reggie repeating his "I am asking GOD" stuff about free agency - only for modern Belicheck to just flat out say "Reggie called me to let me know the Packers gave him a giant contract so the Browns are out" (9 mill year one)
- Modern Ron Wolf follows up laughing at how yes, a massive contract probably helped get a premium player.

- Favre talks about White hurting him on a sack when he was still on the Eagles. "They shot me up with something and I didn't feel no pain and played the rest of the game" Next sentence "That helped get me hooked on pain pills" LOLOLOL and

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally watching the Reggie White 30 for 30.
Crying only mins in.

- The Red Lobster they mention taking Reggie to during his Packer recruitment stop is still open. It is basically the last line of business by Lambeau that the Pack haven't bought and bulldozed to put up their own hotels and bars. There is also a Mexican eatery, and a gas station preventing the Packers from owning everything from Lambeau to the highway ramp.
- LOL at Reggie repeating his "I am asking GOD" stuff about free agency - only for modern Belicheck to just flat out say "Reggie called me to let me know the Packers gave him a giant contract so the Browns are out" (9 mill year one)
- Modern Ron Wolf follows up laughing at how yes, a massive contract probably helped get a premium player.

- Favre talks about White hurting him on a sack when he was still on the Eagles. "They shot me up with something and I didn't feel no pain and played the rest of the game" Next sentence "That helped get me hooked on pain pills" LOLOLOL and SAD all at once.
- Being in the middle of Packerland, I knew Reggie had turned to Hebrew or whatever before he died, so the big teaser didn't shock me.
- Forgot Reggie's church was burnt down the same week as the NFC champ loss to Dallas. Ref ball helps the FUCKING Cowboys win. Had that game not happened as it did, I wouldn't have started to like the Steelers as my AFC team since they battled those motherflippin' Texas fucks!!!
- LOL at Eugene "Prostitute John" Robinson motivating Reggie at the Super Bowl that GOD would bring him the strength to dominate when White started a little sluggish.
- Reggie's racist speech in the Wisconsin legislature is covered. Our current lesbian Senator Tammy Baldwin can be seen amongst the leaders listening to him talk down the plight of the homosexual compared to the African Americans.
- They show his Jeopardy appearance, but only a quick clip to show his wide exposure after the Super Bowl win. IIRC he bombed out and may have even had negative cash by the end.
- Reggie needed Wikipedia. He didn't figure out Jesus being born on Dec 25th and such was bunk until after his career. Mama Brody and I spent a good chunk of time right before Xmas with me reading her the basis for the manger scene and such. She goes to church 2 or 3 times a week, so her heathen son makes for good conversation.
- Reggie admitting 2 months before his death that all his God talk regarding his career was a mistake as he did what Reggie wanted to do and credited God for it without actually talking to him.
- At least his last preacher/religious guide whatever put it in his head that it wasn't Reggie's job to go bash the gays or whatever. God hates all sin equally (That differs from my CCD classes where we learned of Mortal sins vs Venial sins)
- IIRC I came home from work and passed out (probably hung over or something) and woke up an hour or 2 later when my room mate informed me "Reggie White died". I then went into our bathroom and bawled.

I kind of wish this had been more football oriented vs spending so much time hammering on Reggie's gay bashing. It wasn't proper but it wasn't out of line with the basic beliefs among religious goofs at the time. My freaking next door neighbors banned their horde of kids (no birth control because JESUS says so) from watching Disney because they were allowing pro gay themes.

The doc didn't mention part of his death was due to Reggie not using his CPAP machine "Because he didn't think it was manly" IIRC his wife's quotes after the fact. His year with the Panthers didn't earn a moment of mention on here either. Kind of odd to ignore his comeback after a year off.

Sara White was a pain in the butt for the Packers after Reggie died. She was mad about the game they chose for Reggie's Packer wall of fame reveal or whatever wasn't on Monday night football and was telling people before the Hall of Fame ceremony that she'd put Reggie in as an Eagle instead of a Packer.

It was this Browns game where White was added to the Lambeau wall. The Packers needed a late defensive stand and Lambeau chanted "Reggie! Reggie!" and..... the Packers blew it.
IIRC A safety named Chris Atkins decided to get an off sides penalty at the worst possible time to help clinch the loss.

Last edited: