Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Brody and Friends talk about the AWA (Brody has no friends)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I was looking forward to this Nov. 5th 1990 edition of AWA action as I was hoping for another painful show where the match commentary is redone and we just pretend the AWA is airing something fresh, but alas it appears they simply just reran a show from July without alterations. No perverse entertainment for me. :(

We see highlights of Trooper, Sgt Slaughter & Nikita Koloff vs Mike Enos, Russian Brute & Larry Zbyszko, which is a pretty solid match up for the hospice AWA. This six man is not on any of the normal results sites. Huh....

Lumber Jacks (John Nord & Scott Norton) vs WT Jones & John "Pistol" Pistulka
I wonder why Norton quit this gig? Simply money? Nord wound up doing some solo gigs by summer. Looks like Norton went to Portland to work for their dead promotion instead. I guess if the AWA was only going to offer you 1 date every 6-8 weeks then you have to do what you can do.
Lee Marshall manages to get mixed up on commentary and says "I'm "Ringside Ralph Strangis" causing Ralph to say "You are?!" Lee went on to explain he was too excited by the Lumberjacks and got mixed up.

Russian Brute vs George Anderson
Quick squash. Only notable for babyface color man Strangis praising the beauty of the Russian national anthem.

Baron Von Rashke & Buck Zumhoff call out the Hangmen. Baron dances to Buck's music as he is long past giving a fuck I guess.

We see clips of Norton vs Debeers in a "knock down" match. You would think that would mean they would have to knock each other off their feet, but Norton scores the win with a slam.

Tommy Jammer vs Tom "Rocky" Stone Jammer attacks before the jobber can even take his jacket off. Jammer wins in quick fashion.

Verne Gagne joins Bischoff to plug some AWA talent. Curtis Hughes, the Lumberjacks, Enos, Bloom, and Larry Z. Nothing notable other than Verne making up world wide title defenses Larry was scheduled for.

"Mean" Mike Enos & Johnny Stewart vs Steve Berg & Mike Braham
Bischoff says Bloom is AWOL as he is training with the Miami Dolphins to scout out pointers for an upcoming "Football match". Strangis says Bloom is injured. Berg gets a little shine as he was penciled in to be among the guys moving up the card in late 90 had the AWA survived for a few more tapings.

Larry Zbyszko vs DJ Peterson
They compare Larry to Buster Douglas as both are World champs who aren't given their due.
Peterson's .results basically vanish after the AWA's last taping. I'm pretty sure he did JTTS duty for JCP and WWF before this, but maybe going back to being a jabroni didn't feel worth it?
We get a ref bump because this is a title match and Verne knows no other way to book a finish in a title match.
Larry cuts a promo after and claims NFL players are challenging him, allowing him to name drop Tony Mandrich and Lyle Alzado. He finishes by claiming actor Rob Lowe came over to date his daughter and Larry put the fists to him.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

TIL Nick Patrick's uncle was a wrestler as well. (Obv. Nick was Jody Hamilton's son). It looks like he wrestled for several years, including working some JCP shots, but he doesn't warrant a wrestlingdata profile.

--
I like to think Brody went into business for himself while attacking Wally Karbo here, ripping his shirt off and showing the Midwest faithful his Grandpa paunch.

--
You get to see the young Road Warriors maul some jobbers with some sloppy power tosses. The "heels" are cheered by the fans.

Last edited:

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Jody’s brother was Larry Hamilton, the “Missouri Mauler.” Was there another brother? Because Larry was a reasonably big name of his era.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's the kind of quirk that makes me want to watch random old syndicated wrestling:
The AWA was definitely syndicated in St Louis as Verne owned a piece of the Geigel fed and AWA talents were on the mid 80s versions of the St Louis monthly shows.
Jerry Blackwell broke ties with Sheik Adnan in the AWA and turned babyface.
Evidently, Blackwell stayed a heel in Kansas City, taking up with a Great Value brand middle eastern Sheik manager and feuding with Harley Race. At the same time, a babyface Blackwell was being booked in St Louis against Brody and Adnan. The TV HAD to cross over.
I want to see localized promos of Blackwell calling Adnan a "middle eastern slimeball" in hour one, while bowing to a middle eastern oil sheik in hour 2;

Hell, I want to read the Apters explain it!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's also funny is that I've seen the unmasking segment several times and just didn't recognize Sarge with the beard lol

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’ll take “Shoot Interviews Only @BruiserBrody Asked For” for $500, Ken.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The AWA just flat out used WWF pics to sell their 1991 VHS release. LOL

At least with their Hulk Hogan VHS from .the same period they used AWA promo shots.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Between this and Ronnie Garvin being on Jake’s podcast, today is the biggest day of entertainment of the year for Brod.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s the day you have been waiting for, Brod.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There’s an alternate universe where we get a Greg Gagne redemption run where he tried to prove he isn’t just Verne’s kid. IRL he probably had too much ego and pride to work outside of the family.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There’s an alternate universe where we get a Greg Gagne redemption run where he tried to prove he isn’t just Verne’s kid. IRL he probably had too much ego and pride to work outside of the family.
He was getting a bit bald and still had no body, but Gagne probably COULD have had some real good matches with the WCW 91-92 roster had he been called into battle like Mike Graham was.

Like, Gagne/Liger is going to be a mess, but Gagne selling big for Doc/Gordy/Rude whatever in a Tom Zenk kind of role means a lot of 3 star TV matches IMO.

Should have gotten a Hi Flyers reunion at Slamboree 93 in one of the matches. Shit, building something off that into a Hollywood Blonds TV match to build towards their match with the "old" Flair works. But that would totally be a Brad Armstrong type of hope spot extended beatdown.

Greg being an agent can play into the build pretty easily. And Flair's AWA connection.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Greg/Liger could end up being shockingly great, like the interactions between Liger and Mike Graham, but I don't think it'd be that compelling. But I do admittedly like Graham SLIGHTLY more than Greg.

Greg and Tommy Rich in the tag division is what's up, though. I think they'd click and have alright matches with the non-Freebirds. Get Greg to help Americanize Gigante and great the best team of the era.

Greg and Zenk would honestly have been a fun combination with some choice potential for future bitter Zenk stories and future bullshit Greg stories. I wonder how well Greg would've fit in with the Armstrongs, too, because I feel like him and Brad would be a really solid if completely dull team (although, for real, Greg would've been a superior Arachnaman).

Greg deserved Evad's spot, too, the more I think about it. Better worker even then, just needed to be glassy eyed and kinda off in promos, and the rib of him being a Hogan flunky is great.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s the day you have been waiting for, Brod.
This pod is still a mess. They are still in need of structure. Polish Joe and Mick are tossing some random stuff out and Chris is posting random pictures of Tommy Jammer and NWO Eric Bischoff without them being mentioned. (At one point Mick is trying to say something and a random pic of Wendi Richter pops up so he goes off on some empty platitudes before returning to his story about Jake "Milkman" Milliman.)

-They fail to list the roster of talent (they mention AWA plugged a bunch of names that were coming in for this for fake buzz, but didn't name any) I've seem the episode so I know, but FLESH out your episode.
- Mick says they needed feuds and cage matches for the fans. (Well, 89-90 AWA did both) He then says the AWA roster with feuds and whatnot were not drawing prior to SuperClash 3 anyway.
- Polish Joe spent all day filming the strippers for the AWA TCS pilot. Then somebody paid for him to suit up and oil wrestle them at the end of the shoot.
- Verne didn't have an in house production CPU until 1989, which is why promos suddenly were on green screen instead of the locker room as in the recent past.

The hour can be summed up with "Ahhh cripes, Whatta dey thinkin'?" in my English to Midwest decipher.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Nothing screams "Toxic masculinity" like Groovy Greg!!
Gagne opens the show by admitting he didn't realize Severn worked pro wrestling until he read his wiki the night before. (I assume the old man brain of Greg just forgot or didn't realize who Severn was.)

It took Frye 14 mins into the podcast to say his first words

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big news at the end of the pod. Gagne is starting his own pod in January!!

Otherwise, it was a standard Gagne interview. The Gagne training camp taught fundamentals. Kids these days don't know how to work. His stories of riots in Japan he caused. Verne being asked to do a Martian Gimmick in 1950 for Chicago TV.

His description of the toy line he's involved in is kind of funny/sad and sounds a little like the AWA's last few years of looking for financial angels. "We have signed up 500 guys for toys so far! It takes thousands of dollars for each mold we make, so we could really use some money to come in now." Frye or Dan suggest an outside donor ala "Shark Tank" Greg: "Oh, they tell me we are going to be making big money on these in 3 years so we want to keep it in house"