Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Brody and Friends talk about the AWA (Brody has no friends)

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The real Mr. Saloon was just carrying wine casks in a more fashionable part of town. I dig it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

More Hospice AWA.... Now we are past the TCS so what are we going to talk about?
I assume without cross checking that these are all now old matches with new commentary.
This is sadly severely edited down so we'll miss any promos or wrap arounds that were aired.
Texas Hangmen vs Todd Becker & Red Tyler
Verne and Lee discuss how Larry Z will spread out the one million dollars. The wild card guys will only get a fraction, while guys like Enos/Bloom carried the load all year. Larry will have to cut checks to his enemies like Saito and Jake Milliman.
Nikita Koloff vs The Annihilator
Koloff is using Phil Collins 'In the Air Tonight" as his theme. The muscular jobber gets wrecked in short order. Koloff was already on UWF TV by the time the AWA reused this footage.
Tommy Jammer vs Tony Leone
Verne updates us that "Flapjack" Scott Norton is now "The Crusher" and working in Portland. This leads them to fill the time by naming the AWA's legendary teams. Meanwhile, Leone and Jammer have a bunch of botches in this squash, including the finish where Jammer can't figure out how to lock in a abdominal stretch, and winds up turning it into a side suplex/cradle combo to end our pain.
Tully Blanchard & Mike Enos vs Paul Diamond & DJ Peterson
This match is basically edited off this upload as only a min or 2 exists before the VHS tape eats itself. I can't find this match on any results, but Diamond had been gone from the AWA since April or so and Tully only made 2 or 3 appearances in that same basic timeline.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

SuperMachine#1

Very Active Poster
Reaction score

I have no idea why Dibiase is in the AWA rankings. Depending when exactly this was in 83, the only cross over with AWA guys would be in Houston or St Louis. (and Japan)
The Chrome Dome Connection (Verne Gagne and Bob Geigel) owned the Kansas City circuit before JCP took over in 1986,Dibiase was probably on a tour of Kansas City and the wrestling magazine probably thought to include Ted in the AWA. Thats like other independent wrestling magazines making up tag teams in the WWF for the tag title top ten. Some made up teams were: Koko B. Ware and S.D. Jones,Cousin Junior and Paul Roma, Steve Lombardi and Rudy Diamond, Samaoan # 3 and Mr.X. Talk about some funny shit there.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Verne couldn’t have been thrilled with Iron Sheik being advertised as a former WWF Champion.
By that point they were plugging whatever they could. Hogan was name dropped. Flair was name dropped. IIRC while Windham was still US champ in 89 they teased he was coming in as well. (Maybe for the Feb show they had booked Dusty for????)
If I rewatch SuperClash 3 for the third year in a row, they probably plug Sheik as former WWF champ during his promo on the PPV.
--
Somebody needs to get the TCS Draft episode on Youtube for the world to gawk at. Lots of names dropped and the AWA presenting their own promoters as buffoons who can't organize their own draft properly in storyline. (From what I recall of seeing it a bunch of years ago)

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I knew ‘89-‘90 AWA (especially Larry Zbyszko) dropped a lot of WWF and WCW references but I thought SuperClash III was last semblance of AWA trying to seem like a major promotion.

Though come to think of it, I did watch SuperClash III a few years back and I am pretty sure they did talk about Sheik and Slaughter’s WWF feud when Sheiky Baby made his cameo.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still sad I didn't go to Crusherfest last year when Greg, Jumpin Jim and others were walking around shooting the shit with everyone there.

===
John McAdam covered 1983 AWA on a recent pod. Apparently a month before the Super Sunday screwy finish with Hogan, they ran basically the same finish w/ Martel/Bockwinkel, but Martel got DQ'd faster before he could get the 123 and celebrate.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching this week's Mystery Titans Theater and they are showing ESPN AWA from Oct 85.
I was pretty surprised to see Gen Akbar show up for a promo in ring. He was promoting Kamala. Only a few weeks earlier at SuperClash 85 Kamala was with Sheik Adnan.
I know Pro Wrestling USA gave us crossover, but Akbar being on the standard AWA show got me.
-
There's a squash match with Sarge vs (Tom?) Rice on here that is JUST AWFUL. They go easily over 5 mins with Sarge slowly doing his stuff. Sarge blows a slingshot suplex spot ends up dumping the schmuck on the cement. They have another botch later on a collision spot. The jobber kicks out of several moves. The jobber gives Sarge 2 low blows at the end, which Sarge no sells and mercifully hits a Slaughter cannon and cobra clutch for the win.

Last edited:

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The AWA pod interviewed her a while back, which I put on the back burner. May have to consider checking it out to see if this book will need to be purchased.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I plan to order a copy soon. And I like that picture of her talking with John Nord at the Waterloo hof. That kind of thing happens frequently there. Through varying degrees of inebriation I chatted with Stan Hansen, JJ Dillon, Booker T, the widow Goodish, Larry the Ax Hennig, etc. For someone like me who struggles to care about the contemporary product, it's fun to remember what was likeable (again, for me) about wrestling before.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

So we are into November and we are still reusing/milking the last tapings in July.

We see the Nikita squash match from a few weeks ago. Groovy Greg's new commentary states Fujinami is planning to wrestle Larry Z for the title soon.
They are filling time by showing old pics of stars as well as old promos. We hear from Crusher and Jerry Blackwell to set up the return of the "Mat Classic".
Nick Bockwinkel comes out to promote his new role in a Twin Cities financial group. ATM Eric then teases that the producers want to get Nick back in there against an old foe. Nick reminds everyone he is old and retired. Then Eric reveals it is going to be Nick doing commentary with his opponent in the match they will watch. They tease that more details are to come in the next 2 weeks. (It's Verne)
Crusher/Blackwell is shown for several mins. Blackwell bleeds and sells to put over the over the hill legend. Adnan whacks Crusher with an foreign object and Blackwell gets the duke. Eric and Greg discuss the match. Gagne shows old wounds are still open as he refuses to say Jim Brunzell's name.
They talk about Crusher running "Crusher's Bar and Grill" in Milwaukee when he and his wife aren't vacationing in Florida.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NJPW World Cup League 1989 - Day 1
24. November 1989 @ Gunma Sports Center in Maebashi, Gunma (Japan)
Brad Rheingans and Wayne Bloom defeated Kengo Kimura and Osamu Kido
NJPW World Cup League 1989 - Day 3
26. November 1989 @ Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Kengo Kimura, Riki Choshu and Salman Hashimikov defeated Brad Rheingans, Steve Williams and Wayne Bloom
NJPW World Cup League 1989 - Day 6
29. November 1989 @ Ishikawa Prefectural Industrial Exhibition Hall in Kanazawa, Ishikawa (Japan)
Brad Rheingans and Wayne Bloom defeated Timur Zalasov and Victor Zangiev
NJPW World Cup League 1989 - Day 8
2. Dezember 1989 @ Nagasaki International Gymnasium in Nagasaki, Nagasaki (Japan)
Brad Rheingans and Wayne Bloom defeated Andrei Sulsaev and Salman Hashimikov

Brad was willing to team with the man who screwed him out of the AWA tag titles only a few months before. What a sportsman!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First half got my hopes up that we were gonna get the podcast stylings of Brody.