Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Cover songs only Youtube megadump

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If the original "Don't Stop Believin'" is a 10, the Glee version is a 9.25.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Czech said:
If the original "Don't Stop Believin'" is a 10, the Glee version is a 9.25.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's the only Glee cover I like. It would be better if they just let Lea Michele handle the whole thing because the guy on the song can't sing worth shit. On a side note, after what I thought was a promising first few episodes or so, I really wish that show didn't exist.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With extreme trepidation about eliciting "CZECH HATES ANYTHING POPULAR!" howls, I think I'd like Glee more if it hadn't become such a phenomenon. I know that shouldn't affect whatever enjoyment I derive from watching it, but in a world where so many people (and not just Gary Floyd) define themselves on the internet by Liking Things, the whole Glee thing is a little tiresome now.

Oh, and everyone is pitch-corrected as fuck! Does that not bother anyone else after a while?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I just think it's a show unworthy of becoming such a phenomenon. As a comedy, it's not that funny (Jane Lynch has a few good lines here and there but besides that, eh). As a drama, the serious moments are forced, hacky and not particularly well-written. As a musical, well, the soundtrack consists more or less of straight covers of pop hits and show tunes, voices Auto-tuned to all Hell (and while this works in some cases, since as I noted earlier, that male lead can not sing, they do it to everybody, with the occasional shot-for-shot remake of a well-known music video to kill a few minutes. That prissy high-voiced gay kid is one of the most unlikable characters on TV, and it's hard to say that because I don't want to seem like the homophobic "FUCK THAT GAY-ASS HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL CRAP SINGING IS FOR FAGS" guy - in fact, my favorite thing about the show (other than Lea Michele) is how unapologetically (spell check is giving me some shit over this word but do I care?), uncompromosingly gay it is - but he is douchier than most. None of these characters are likable. Of course, there are a lot of bad TV shows that are really popular, but man, this one got 19 Emmy nominations and every critic seems to love it. Then again, I'm notorious around here for my awful taste in everything, so maybe my criticism of Glee should be considered an endorsement of its quality.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
luke-o brother were art thou said:

They have alot of pretty awesome covers on youtube, but I'm too lazy and on too shitty of an internet connection to look for them right now.

As far as the Glee talk goes, I still watch it, but alot of the time I hate myself for it. The show was much better in season 1 before it became a huge phenomenon. It was actually a TV show back then, instead of a giant billboard for whatever fox and/or the SPECIAL GUEST STAR OF THE WEEK wanted to sell you.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Bangles cover isn't the worst thing in the world, but I'm so emotionally attached to the original that it's impossible for me to fairly judge any version of the song that wasn't performed and recorded by Big Star for the album Radio City. Similarly, Evan Dando does a not bad "The Ballad of El Goodo," but come on.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tom Jones - I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

MMHMM.gif

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
I finally heard that Glee cover of Don't Stop Believing. It's neat. That girl's got some pipes.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
I don't know about that. You can hear a girl die on the Ohio Players version.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Tori Amos covering Slayer enraged me when I heard about it. At least her version is haunting and atmospheric...but the strength of that song isn't the lyrics, sooooo...

Playing this for people and asking them to guess what song it is proves fun.
no cheating