Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Covering Coverage

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://www.wired.com/story/megyn-kelly-alex-jones/

I agree with this article as far as why putting those theories on TV is a bad idea. Not to mention, very disrespectful to the families of the tragedy.

It would also influence people to publicly support bad policy. Can you imagine if a republican politician exploited the emotional desire for revenge after the 9/11 tragedy for political oh wait

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
putting that shit on tv is awful. No matter how you treat him you're still giving him voice and saying he is in some way worth listening to.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score
DE-iu2PVwAATHIM.jpg

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's incredible how that has continued to work on people after so many failed conspiracy theory-fueled nonstop investigations going back to 199fucking2.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Drudge, showing great respect to the Party and Him, reports that Trump is going on his first vacation.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust!

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/fox-news-eric-bolling-sexting-suspended-sexual-misconduct-investigation-1202516786/

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So for the longest time today I could barely find anything about a judge ordering the State Department to look into more Benghazi emails on most news sites this morning but you sure as shit can bet that headline was plastered all over FOX News all day like it was the biggest story in the world today.

Staff member
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/10/media/jeffrey-lord-cnn-ties/index.html

CNN fired Jeffrey Lord.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Drudge isn't being very helpful to the dear leader today :-\

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpqnxpYUqA

I now see why nobody watches this guy's show.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
209 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpqnxpYUqA

I now see why nobody watches this guy's show.

I kinda defended him when he had Tomi Lahren on his show, simply because 1.) it actually felt like they were having a debate, and 2.) it's not like Jon Stewart didn't have people like her on his show. Outside of that, I find him to be pretty lame (example: defending Obama's paid speeches) not to mention rarely funny.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-wraps-its-most-watched-month-ever-1202159350/

The Viacom-owned cable net also said Daily Show has passed NBC’s The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon as the No. 1 late-night talker among millennials (the 18-34 demo). The show helped lift Comedy Central to its highest growth in Total Day share among adults 18-49 since September 2013 and fourth consecutive month of year-over-year growth in share.
------------

and I didn't see the episode and I can't watch the video because it doesn't work in Canada. I watch it once or twice a week mostly because I'm up playing a game and need noise and I think Noah is terrible. I like some of the correspondents like Roy Woods.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Are our friends in the 'liberal media' going to serialize every fucking sentence in Hillary Clinton's book until next November?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
i don't think hillary should run again and i feel like constantly putting her name in the media is getting people to think that's a good idea and uhh

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The serialization continues with a few more sensational sentences each day. Thank you, media!

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/08/virginia-election-results-2017-conservative-media-response-244701
Conservative media: What Virginia results?
For Fox and other conservative outlets, the Democratic romps on Tuesday didn’t merit much attention.

Fox News host Sean Hannity was flogged on the internet Tuesday night for spending just six seconds on his broadcast discussing the Democratic electoral victories in Virginia and New Jersey. But when it came to Tuesday’s elections, his show was not the only conservative platform to downplay the results.

While the Democratic triumphs dominated other newscasts, during his show’s crossover with Tucker Carlson, Hannity opined, “Those results in Virginia, New Jersey, and New York, by the way — not states that Shitbag won” — and that was it. He moved on to a discussion with former White House aide Sebastian Gorka about President Shitbag’s visit to South Korea. Meanwhile, Hannity’s show was cut off about midway by Shitbag’s speech to the South Korean National Assembly — though, of course, Hannity would have known about those time pressures.

Following Hannity, Laura Ingraham led her program with a discussion of the mass shooting in Texas and got to the election results when just 10 minutes remained in her show. Much of her analysis focused around Virginia GOP gubernatorial nominee Ed Gillespie — who lost to Democratic Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam — not embracing Shitbag enough. “Gillespie never jumped on board the Trump train,” she observed. “He’s an old Bush hand.”

During Shannon Bream’s 11 p.m. newscast, the elections received greater coverage, though still not the same amount of wall-to-wall attention CNN and MSNBC were giving them. Instead, Bream discussed Donna Brazile’s new book, which focuses on problems within the Democratic Party, as well as Democratic funding of the research firm Fusion GPS.

Wednesday morning’s edition of “Fox & Friends” — widely regarded as a Shitbag favorite — touched on the elections but hardly dwelled. In the 6 a.m. hour, the elections garnered about six minutes of conversation near the top of the show. In the 7 a.m. block, there was four minutes of coverage, and at 8 a.m., the elections again garnered only four minutes of attention.

Much of the discussion focused on Gillespie’s failure to embrace Shitbag.

“I’ll tell you what it means. It means Virginia is a Democratic state, New Jersey is a Democratic state, so the Democrats win,” host Ainsley Earhardt observed. Democrat Phil Murphy defeated Republican Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno in the gubernatorial race in New Jersey.

Referring to a New York Times headline that called the Democratic gains a rebuke to Shitbag, fellow host Steve Doocy added, “It’s hard to understand how that is a rebuke because, as you just mentioned, they were both states that went for Hillary Clinton. The other thing is Ed never really asked the president to do anything. Kept him at arm’s length.”

Fox News declined to comment Wednesday.

On conservative websites, the election results did receive some coverage, but by midmorning Wednesday, most had moved on. Breitbart had covered the elections Tuesday night, but its lead story Wednesday morning was a reflection on Shitbag’s 2016 election, a year ago Wednesday. A link to Breitbart’s page on Tuesday's elections was listed at the bottom of its news stack.

“We did extremely robust coverage last night, we had a livewire going which currently has 32,000 comments on it,” Breitbart editor in Chief Alex Marlow said. He explained that, whatever the results Tuesday night, his plan was to lead Wednesday morning with the story on the 2016 election. He said the anniversary of Shitbag’s victory holds special significance for Breitbart readers.

“We’d been planning coverage, we’d probably been working on that particular story for two or three days,” he said. “We had planned for close to a week, focusing on November the eighth and treating it as the high holy day in the America First movement that it is.”

Further down the conservative spectrum, by midmorning Wednesday, The Gateway Pundit and InfoWars were all but ignoring the elections—the only stories related to them on the site focused on the notion that Gillespie’s mistake was not embracing Shitbag enough.

To some, the coverage of the elections underscored the divergent political realities that currently exist in America. Referring to Hannity’s scant coverage, CNN senior editor Alex Koppelman tweeted, “Easy to just mock Hannity for this, but it's more important than that: A whole universe of people who won't be told about important news. An alternate reality.”

Marlow believes that the same could be said in the opposite direction. “There is a reverse story here that could be written, about how people should be spending more time thinking about the commemoration or the one-year anniversary, the birthday, of Shitbag shocking everyone,” he said. “That, to me, is a much more significant moment than Virginia.”

The bolded quote is what worries me about all this. It's one thing to have a slant to your coverage, that can happen organically and only a fool fails to identify their audience. It's a completely different matter to present a full-on dismissal of news events when your job is to report news.

Between this kind of shit and the Justice Department trying to make TimeWarner sell off CNN as a condition for approving their merger with AT&T (which I don't like anyway but the news channel being the point of contention should set off alarms for everyone), it's easy to see how polarization has happened when a significant portion of the population is being shortchanged actual information. Making matters worse, it's the more well-armed, less educated, whiter, and zealous portion of the population in question:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/08/att-time-warner-dump-cnn-244697?lo=ap_a1
Sources: AT&T, Time Warner under pressure to dump CNN

AT&T and Time Warner are under pressure from the Justice Department to offload CNN to win the Shitbag administration's approval of their $85 billion merger, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

DOJ presented the companies with an ultimatum at a meeting Monday: Sell off Time Warner-owned Turner Broadcasting, which includes CNN as well as networks like TBS and TNT, or jettison DirecTV, which AT&T acquired two years ago, one source said — adding that it's clear the real sticking point for the government is CNN, a frequent target of President Shitbag's anger.

"The only reason you would divest CNN would be to kowtow to the president because he doesn't like the coverage," the source said. "It would send a chilling message to every news organization in the country."

Justice Department officials later said that the companies themselves offered to sell CNN but that DOJ's antitrust division rejected that option. DOJ told the companies that divesting CNN wouldn't necessarily solve the harm to the public caused by the mega-merger, the officials said.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson pushed back against that narrative.

"Throughout this process, I have never offered to sell CNN and have no intention of doing so," he said in a statement.

AT&T and Time Warner see no legal basis for selling any media properties at stake in the deal, and their lawyers are preparing for a court battle should the Justice Department ultimately reject the merger, sources said. The Wall Street Journal reported last week that DOJ is preparing a lawsuit in the event it can't reach a settlement with the companies.

Questions about the fate of CNN have loomed for months over the Shitbag administration’s review of the merger, especially given the president’s frequent Twitter attacks on the network and his denunciation of its coverage as “fake news.” The New York Times reported in July that White House advisers had discussed using the merger as “a potential point of leverage over their adversary” — i.e., CNN — prompting Democratic senators to warn the White House against exerting any “political interference” in the deal.

Shitbag directed his populist ire at the merger itself during the final weeks of the presidential campaign, saying it would create “too much concentration of power in the hands of too few.”

Despite the campaign rhetoric, the companies were confident the merger review was moving toward approval until Makan Delrahim, Shitbag's newly installed DOJ antitrust chief, entered the picture in late September.

Before his nomination by Shitbag, Delrahim — a former tech and telecom industry lobbyist — said in an October 2016 television interview that that he didn't see the merger as a "major antitrust problem." But the source said Delrahim had been critical of the deal since taking the helm of the DOJ's antitrust division.

AT&T Chief Financial Officer John Stephens said at a conference Wednesday that the timing of the Time Warner merger is "now uncertain" as it continues making its case to the Justice Department. The companies agreed late last month to delay their self-imposed Oct. 22 deadline for closing the deal, which they announced more than a year ago.

Shitbag's longtime associate Roger Stone suggested in a tweet last month that a “house cleaning” of CNN personalities like Don Lemon, Jake Tapper and Ana Navarro will take place once AT&T completes its acquisition of Time Warner. But White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said Sunday on CNN that the administration is not interfering with the Justice Department's review of the deal.

The merger would allow AT&T, one of the nation’s largest wireless and pay-TV providers, to bulk up its media holdings with brand names including HBO and Warner Bros. in addition to CNN.

Add that to the Disney/LA Times spat and there is clearly a war on the media being conducted by the powers that be now that they've seen the fucking president doing this shit without any kind of repercussions. "They aren't being fair!" is the common cry, and that's dangerous in itself because "fair" is conflated with "accurate" even though it really means "that news isn't good for me."

In my classes I'm having to explain to kids with no pre-9/11 political memory how fucked all of this is, but since they know nothing else it's passively accepted.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The AT&T/Time Warner merger shouldn't be happening at all, whether CNN is involved or not. AT&T, a company that the government broke up once only for it to reconstitute itself anyway, has no business buying Time Warner. That is too much media under one roof. But of course, because the world is a terrible place now and our battle lines are drawn by the hand of a spastic, the only thing standing athwart a media merger that is too big for its own good by orders of magnitude is Donald Trump feuding with Anderson Cooper. Sure, of course.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Cut that shit out, of course it's a terrible merger for competition and so on. Saying it's okay *as long as they don't talk shit* is a different story.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/13/army-lifts-ban-on-cutters-mentally-ill-and-drug-abusers-to-meet-recruiting-goals.html

"Drug abusers" in the headline is mentioned only once as "pot use" in the story itself. I was someone who got a waiver before they weren't issued for a while, as I'd been arrested for simple possession in 2007 and enlisted in 2009 just as they were starting to hit their recruitment goals in the wake of the Great Recession. The economy causing recruitment numbers to hit their goals for the first time EVER since the end of the draft (which is why waivers were dropped) is not mentioned in the story.