Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Fast Food Burger Shootout

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
The Chick-Fil-A on campus here (which is the only one I ever go to, since the others are out in strip mall hell) is staffed by overworked, unhappy blacks. The Quiznos and the Starbucks right next to it are all white

:(

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna go back to school and get my Master's in Sociology. My thesis will cover race and fast-food restaurants. I'll post it in this thread after I get my degree.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
DrVenkman PhD said:
In n Out can go to Hell.

Oh wow, a place with a secret menu and bible verses that only exists in places I'll never go because corporate doesn't want to ruin the mystique and let them franchise in the east (where this shit matters). Thanks for making a huge deal out of this place I'll never eat at, media!

Do the Muslims complain that Mecca is too far for them to make a pilgrimage? Do they insist that God relocate his holy ground so that it's more convenient for them?!?? Well, do they!?!?

NO. YOU make the trip. Don't sit there on your frozen throne and expect the Savior of Burgers to come to your backwater village! How arrogant. How dare you.

I cannot argue with this.

Staff member
Reaction score
Big Dick Bynum Beast Attack Mode said:
wnyxmcneal said:
The Northeast sucks for fast food basically. The nearest Sonic is an hour away!

All the Sonics in southern California are south of the Los Angeles County line or in the bumfuck nether regions of the 909 and 661.

You called?

I still haven't been to ours. Does Five Guys have windows into their kitchen at every drive-thru?

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah. That's cool. In-N-Out has a drive-thru and their burgers are made to order but it feels like it takes a year to get through it.

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG THERES A FIVE GUYS RIGHT NEXT TO MY HOUSE HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
909 said:
Ah. That's cool. In-N-Out has a drive-thru and their burgers are made to order but it feels like it takes a year to get through it.

That's the drawback. They always do take forever. That's why I do the low end move of turning off my car engine in the drive-thru to save gas. If it's night I'll turn off the headlights, too, because I don't need them and it's always annoying getting blinded by super bright headlights which now have become the norm in new cars.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
I mentioned Penguin Point in the other thread. They had a sammich called the Big Wally. That was a tasty burger. I should drive over to Waynedale and get me one, but that involves driving past Powers, which is fucking godly and better than any other burger I've ever had.

darthtiki

$100 Bills hangin' out of my pocket
Reaction score
The Habit in my opinion has one of the best burgers, but they are California only. I will agree that Five Guys does have some of the best fries in the game.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Five Guys' cajun fries are indeed a work of art. I love how they just purposely overflow the bag so that you always have extra!

It is a bit pricey though so I only go there on rare occasions. A burger and fries is gonna wind up costing you just under $10

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think this calls for an old fashioned TSM tournament. Maybe one for the burgers and one for the fries?

I'm down.

Staff member
Reaction score
I hadn't gone until like an hour ago.

Start with the burgers

I got the Five Guys burger the same way I get my In-N-Out burger. Ketchup, mayo, grilled onions. Bun at Five Guys is good, not necessarily as good as In-n-Out's because they toast their's quite well. It seemed like there was more cheese on the Five Guys burger. The way Five Guys grills their onions is just decent, In-n-Out's destroy them in that regard. Five Guys onions were still soft, big, a little thick, and had no crunch.

now to the part that matters

BURGER PATTY

The burger patty shits all over In-n-Out's in every fuckin' fashion, there is no remote way in which In-n-Out's is comparable. Thick 5G burger against a thin patty at the other place. Juicy as opposed to dry. Tastes like actual beef as opposed to just a great hamburger patty. The thing is enormous, honestly, I could wind up eating this unhealthy shit every week because it's bomb as it gets, I don't think I've ever had a better burger overall.

FRIES

As far as taste goes, they're not too far apart. Animal style fries are better than regular fries anywhere, but just in a comparison sense In-n-Out's regular fries are not as good. 5G has long, thick fries, they don't, which kinda makes me mad. In-n-Out's are more plain. But when you get to the bits that are at the bottom of the 5G cup then it tastes kind of like In-n-Out's fries.

THE SHITS

In-n-Out never gives them to me, Five Guys might but it hasn't happened yet.

PRICE

Here it's pretty much the same, but I didn't get a drink.

WINNER BY VIRTUE OF MUCH BETTER BURGER

FIVE GUYS

And I have/had insane In-n-Out bias and wasn't expecting anything special, so.

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
There used to be this place, Burger Joes, right down the street from me. i don't know if its all franchises or just that one, but they had the best burger I had ever tasted. The fries? eh, but the Burger was amazing.

The awesome part was that they were open till 3 am...and delivered. Nothing like ordering a great burger and fries at 2 A.M.

That location closed and the only one is Midtown now. But dammit, I miss them.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
I typically find that the best burgers are from local joints, but of the chains my favourite is Lick's Homeburgers.

I've obviously heard a lot about many of the places mentioned in this thread, but have never been to any of them. The vibe I got was similar to all of my experiences at Lick's Homeburgers. I don't care for the singing and the "what's your name, so we can call you by it!?", but my god, an excellent burger and milkshake is about as good a treat as I can ask for.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So who's gonna be the first victim of BK's California Burger, with guacamole?

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I don't know if you folks in America have The Ringer Whopper, but in Canada the commercial for it features a girl who had been in nothing but a series of cellphone ads for years. The first time I saw the commercial I expected her to tell me about her new Rogers phone and how Todd was totally road trippin'.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I have 2 In & Outs and a Five Guys within a mile of my house.

I used to think I liked In & Out more because it was a CA staple, but over the years I have just accepted the fact that it is my favorite go-to fast food burger, period. The Five guys toppings are certainly a nice feature, but the way the extremely fresh tasting lettuce, Tomato, and onion contrast the burger and cheese on an In & Out double-double puts it in the winner circle, and yes as others have said, Animal Style is the king of the fast food style jungle. Grilling and chopping the onions seems like a simple thing to change, but it gives the burger a very small hint of sweetness, and not the traditional sweet, but the sweetness that unlocks from onions as they caramelize. Add to that pickle slices and extra sauce........HUNGER SATISFIED!

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Oh and hey a question for your White Castle clients. I don't have a white castle out here in Cali, all I've ever sampled is the frozen version you can find in the grocery store.

What are the prices like? Those things are tasty but they are so tiny in every way possible I swear if I went to a White Castle with a normal dinner appetite I could probably take down a ton of them. Does one of the standard meals fill people up or do they usually end up adding a bunch of sliders in addition?