Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I Just Watched... (Movies/TV/DVD)

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Color of Night gets off to a great start with a female psychiatric patient running and crashing through a high story window to fall to her death while Bruce Willis weeps.

Also making it extra creepy is the female lead, Jane March, was only 20 years old filming the movie

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
The Fallout (7/10) on HBO Max

A really strong film centered around Vada (Jenna Ortega), whose character survives a school shooting in a bathroom stall with another girl (Mia) and a guy (Quinton) who loses his brother in the shooting. Total character study about her character & the other two and how they are processing/dealing with the aftermath together and separately.
I've loved the backlash this received for the subject matter alone. "WHAT ABOUT COPYCAT KILLERS" and such.

Those pearl clutchers sure didn't like being reminded that movies about WWII exist.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MV5BYTdmNzMwNzEtNDQyZi00M2VmLWFiMzktZmQ5MTMxYjMxMjg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ0NzcxNjM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

The Velvet Queen- A meditative French nature documentary about rare wildlife in Tibet. Randomly with a great score by Warren Ellis and Nick Cave. Very chill and relaxing experience. Especially cause me and the lady were only ones in theater. Idk why it was in theater they normally use for huge blockbusters. 8/10

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
On episode 8 of Yellowjackets. I’m enjoying it, but I realized I don’t think I’ve ever liked Juliette Lewis in anything. I think she’s especially bad in this.

Last edited:

Laz

Reaction score
Hap and Leonard is the generic store brand Justified, but it's still really damn good.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Only took me four years to finally get into this, but the gf and I binged through some of Ozark over the weekend on Netflix. Ended up starting with binging through season 4 part 1 (she already saw most of the series) and I was way hooked. We then went back to season 1 and are doing a full watch of it from the beginning. This is a banger of a series that reminds me almost of Winter's Bone made into a series, but with so many other fascinating moving parts and more elaborately immersiveness to it. Great writing in this one.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Troop Zero stars McKenna Grace, Viola Davis, Jim Gaffigan, and Allison Janney about a girl in 1977 Georgia who dreams of being recorded on NASA's Golden Record and joins a Birdie Scout group to do so. Great acting, very enjoyable kids flick that mirrors stuff like Bridge to Terebithia, Harriet the Spy, and early 90s fare like D2: The Mighty Ducks. Worth checking out if you have kids and want to watch something a bit more modern but isn't full of young teens.

7/10
Re-watched this tonight and yeah, still love it. Modern-day take on a 90s Kids Movie if it was set in Georgia in the 1970s centered around competing "scout" groups. McKenna Grace is still great as the lead reminding me of Joshua Jackson from Mighty Ducks.

Reactions: Laz

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I saw "I Want You Back" on Prime with Charlie Day and Jenny Slate. Enjoyable little film but a bit too long in my opinion. It's two hours but easily could have had 15-20 minutes shaved from it.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Clean: This was a pet project film for Adrian Brody, who wrote, produced, and starred. It had strong themes but not sure it was executed to its' potential. Sure got grittier and darker in tone as it went on. Also, a much more confusing narrative ensued as things went on from the first act onward. Very dissapointing as I thought things were starting to set up well and then things kinda fell apart. So many revenge thrillers did it much better than this. Considering how long Brody had this in development, I was surprised how sloppy the output was.

Clue: Revisted this oldie but goodie since I have been on a mystery who done it kinda kick lately. This was a fun look back at this one for sure. I forgot that they end up showing essentially three endings in this one too, since originally they did a gimmick where they randomly had different endings in each screening back in the 80s. I kind of wish they would reboot this one, it had a great cast, really quirky and catchy comedy, and some nice twists.

Murder on the Orient Express (2017 version): To me, this really didn't hold up well as a second viewing after seeing it in the theaters years ago. Although there was a bit of fun in peeling back things, knowing how the ending was prior. But holy fuck, this one dragged at times an awful lot.

Death on the Nile: Felt like this was a significant improvement over Orient Express in terms of scope in the story. Lots better twists and turns than Orient too. I enjoyed the Kenneth Branagh character arc of the detective as well, felt like there won't be another film with this guy given how they ended the film and the arc itself. Seemed pretty definative and probably that's a good thing, I don't think there would be a need for a trilogy of these films.

Laz

Reaction score
Insidious: The Last Key might be the worst movie of its ilk, which says a lot because of how awful the non-Conjuring Warrenverse movies are. There's a handful of good ideas, but they unfold in what must have been the order that they came up in during the writer's meeting because there is such a lack of cohesion and flow to the story. The third felt similar, but that at least unfolded in a logical manner (even if the result was mediocrity). After re-watching the first two? This is made all the worse. 1 and 2 tell a complete story between them, with the second expanding on parts of the first in great ways, but this? Total shit, and a waste of the cast. 4/10

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Wife, and I didn’t have a show to watch. I saw a trailer for Reacher, and it looked like a standard CBS show, but with language, and violence. So I figured she’d love it. She does. It’s an alright “turn your brain off, and just watch” kinda show. I thought Ritchson was terrific in Blue Mountain State; a show I never thought I would have liked. He’s kinda vanilla here though. But I guess it’s what the show needs.

Laz

Reaction score
I really, really love Hap and Leonard, and it's a damn shame it was canceled after the third season because that's the best one.

Reaction score
“For the Sake of Vicious” (Shudder, AMC+) holy crap. This ruled. It’s pretty gnarly. Ultra violent movie that just jumps into it. Intense as fuck and doesn’t pull any punches.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Profile for Murder (1996): I'm trying to clear out movies from my external hard drive, going back as far as the 2015 Oscar season. I just...never got around to watching things. Tack on I'll randomly sit up at night and remember some vague film title from childhood and set about finding the .mp4 and then forget about it.

This is one I watched with my bud Ricky one night. I didn't remember much about it other than we really liked it, Lance Henrickson starred, and it was a murder mystery. I reviewed the plot synopsis on IMDB, "A female police psychiatrist develops sexual fantasies involving a patient accused of murder." :oops::rolleyes:

So the copy I have on my drive is maybe in 144p resolution. Someone ripped this from a Memorex VHS tape that was stored in Three Mile Island. The establishing shots are of a city with awkward cuts that let us know Henrickson's Adrian Cross is at a night club, ready to meet women. As the movie unfolds, we learn the women he hooks up with wind up with a fishing rope tool in the back of their skulls. We learn he owns a boat, probably why Ricky liked the movie. And he makes time with MANY beautiful women, probably why the film stuck with me.

The police connect him to the murders and have Dr. Carras (Joan Severance) interview him. He talks about his single man escapades which leads to her fulfilling the brief plot description. She goes home and masturbates in the tub thinking about her interview. Eventually the cops let him out of jail due to lack of evidence. Then Dr. Carras begins having a fling with Cross. She soon begins to doubt his innocence too, the movie turns into an absolute train wreck trying to be smarter than it is. Shit happens, twists are forced, and it has an unsatisfying ending.

Great movie for a 15 year old looking to see boobs and violence. Terrible waste of 95 minutes if you're looking for a story. Henrickson is a legend for a lot of movie fans. This is not one of his better offerings. His appearance in Scream 3 is Anne Hathaway as Fantine in comparison.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Uncharted: Checked this out last night in an IMAX and, well......boy, this felt pretentious as fuck. I didn't mind some of the performances, but I was having a hard time keeping up with things a bit in this one. Not that it was a confusing story, but the pace of this was strange....it would go hyper for awhile and then you ease back into some really lame verbiage that slows it down to the point where you could fall asleep. Clearly a franchise is being developed based off the after credits scenes. I enjoyed the games and there was some fun nods here and there to the games, but something just felt REALLY off about this.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Halloween Kills. It just doesn’t make sense that this was made by the same guy that did the great 2018 movie. Seemed like any time there was to make a decision in the film it was always the wrong, and stupid one.

Staff member
Reaction score
Halloween Kills. It just doesn’t make sense that this was made by the same guy that did the great 2018 movie. Seemed like any time there was to make a decision in the film it was always the wrong, and stupid one.

I loved the ending though ngl. Me and my brother had just flown to DC, been awake forever and had a few beers. Couldn't stop laughing while he was going HAM on those people.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Finishing the first season of Agent Carter. It's a shame this wasn't given more time because it's been thoroughly enjoyable.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The Shadow In My Eye (aka The Bombardment) (2021)
MV5BYzQ5ZWNiZWItZmJhYS00NGYxLThkNzYtMThlNWZlYzVkNDZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Harrowing WWII era movie covering the March 21st, 1945 Operation Carthage Bombing in Copenhagen and the effects of "collateral damage" from the viewpoint of those involved. Worth watching just for the overall impact of the story. 8/10

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
The Outfit: Really enjoyed this one, this was an example of a going blind into it without even seeing a trailer, or even looking to see who was all starring in this, kinda just spontaniously checked it out as I saw it was playing in the town I was visiting my dad (whos in a rehab facility after successful open heart surgery). Fantastic storytelling and a wonderfully written set of characters really made this one engaging movie worth checking out. Mark Rylance made up for the terrible role in Dont Look Up with this one, and Zoey Deutch also brought it in the main female lead role. Great twists and turns all around in the narrative. If you are a fan of mobster thrillers, go for it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the Director's Cut of Crash and still baffled that this beat out Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture... Just from a direction/cinematography/acting standpoint, BM is so superior. A lot of the "character arcs" feel trite and almost unearned because this all basically takes place over a single day.

There are some solid scenes and plots that (kind of) hold up (the shopkeeper/locksmith one in particular to me although the shooting scene was beyond stupid) but the movie was so... blunt in its messaging from the initial over racism even down to the character arcs such as Ryan Phillipe's character going from an optimistic young cop who can't handle a racist partner to more jaded over the course of a day. The shooting in the car is particularly galling because the dialogue is so overtly aggressive just to force the result.

The Sandra Bullock character/plot is still the worst for me though, ever since I saw the movie for the first time. It just feels so needlessly thrown in.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Funny, I actually re-watched Crash two days ago (may have also seen the Director's Cut) myself. Definitely the weakest Oscar Best Picture winner of the past two decades (well, depending on how you feel about Green Book, I guess). I was never crazy about it because as you mentioned, the message (and a lot of the performances) were too forced. I also feel like resolution is never earned. Sandra Bullock's maid helped her when she fell. So she's not racist anymore, right? Matt Dillon saved the woman he harrassed earlier from a car fire? Guess he's had a change of heart! I feel the same about this film upon this viewing.

Ludacris and Larez Tate were the best parts, tbh.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Crash is one of the most unintentionally funny movies. It just oozes sincerity while having no real idea what it's talking about. It's the ultimate Hollywood movie.

Laz

Reaction score
Godless (Netflix, 2017) is virtually perfect and is the gold standard for all limited series going forward (IMO). Tremendous example of setup, execution, and subversion of tropes in the western genre. Jeff Daniels is now atop my list for the best TV villains, as he oozes menace from every pore with only a few simple words. 9/10

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Fucking LOVED Metal Lords on Netflix. I need @Laz to watch and let me know his thoughts.

Those cameos...jesus...

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Ambulance: This was a typical Michael Bay schizophrenic-type of film, big elaborate car stunts and crashes, wild camera shakiness throughout, and more than you can handle of over the top hard to believe spots, but I do have to say I did enjoy this way more than I probably ever imagined I would. Certainly was a bit longer than it should have been, but it did go fast probably since the pace of this film was in hyper-drive throughout. Hardly anything made sense, but in this aspect it wasn't the worst thing in the world that it was. Total turn your brain off and jump into this zany-ass ride type thing. Bay was really having fun with this one more than usual too, even razzing and referencing some of his other work in the dialogue, there was characters talking about scenes in The Rock as an example.