Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I Just Watched... (Movies/TV/DVD)

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Under Paris 4/10 - Not a good shark movie. Bad CGI sharks throughout, very "cliche" right down to the big cultural event + Mayoral character who has to keep it open/running in the face of literal deaths plural, etc. It had some good shots but felt very... artistically French in a cinematic way as well which didn't vibe with the fact its a killer shark movie.

Hit Man 6/10 - A lot more entertaining. Glen Powell does have a bit of a young Tom Cruise leading man aura to him so I can see why studios are trying to push him hard right now. I liked the plot overall although I did feel it got away from it too much for the romance between "Ron" and Madison which overtook the entire movie for a good chunk (too much IMO). The exploration of the transition of this character into a fake Hit Man role felt like it could've been played with a lot more and on deeper levels than it was. Felt unrealized/underwritten almost.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I felt the same way about Hit Man. Powell was great, but the story felt too thin for the nearly two hour runtime. Romance did drag at times. I'm seeing people online really loving it, and some saying it's one of Linklater's best which is kind of nuts. I'd put this as his crowd pleaser along with School of Rock, but nowhere near a great movie.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Pearl (2022) reinforces what I said about Ti West when I talked about X: he needs to make a serious drama. The weakest parts of this movie were the horror elements, which are so bland compared to how well everything else was built. The opening credits and introductions to Pearl and her family had a big smile on my face, as it all created such a lovely tone before the meat of the story unfolded. Mia Goth is something special, which isn't a shock to anyone that's seen her work since breaking out.

This was weaker than X, but I greatly appreciate its existence. 6.5/10

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Caught the final ep (8th) of Murder Drones from GLITCH and it was awesome. Already almost 6 Million views in under 24 hours.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Altered Carbon is a mixed bag and I can see why it was canceled.

Season 1 takes a little while to get going, but it's never boring, per se, but filled with a lot of setup and exposition. Once it starts firing, though, it becomes one of the best examples of cyberpunk on film. The cast nails it, the tone is perfect, and it's made me turn around on Joel Kinnaman in the same way that the Invitation made me look forward to Logan Marshall Green. Chris Conner is an absolute delight as Poe, and I may have fallen in love with Martha Higareda.

Season 2, though, is such an obvious downgrade that whatever fun plot or character developments occur just fall by the wayside. Anthony Mackie is horribly miscast here, as he doesn't have the same sense of stoicism or subdued rage that the character calls for, and the other new additions are generic Syfy levels of quality in performance. The budget was clearly slashed, letting the beautiful cyberpunk dystopia of S1 become little more than a handful of OG Star Trek set pieces. Even the returning Chris Conner feels off from where he was in S1, but at least his is a character choice after plot development.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Saw this version was available and decided to rewatch. Looked absolutely fantastic and I still think this is the best animated comic book movie.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Boy Kills World" is on netflix and I enjoyed it. Some fun fight scenes especially the climax. Nothing groundbreaking or anything but there were several actors whose work I enjoy in it. H Jon Benjamin doing the voice over was a great choice.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
From my phone notes. Movies I’ve watched this year, and where I ranked them for personal enjoyability. I’m way behind last year’s pace. Just hard finding time. (Rewatches are not ranked)

First time Movies in 2024

1. Aliens (1986)
  2. Oppenheimer (2023)
  3. The Iron Claw (2023)
  4. Late Night With The Devil (2023)
  5. Love Lies Bleeding (2024)
  6. Talk to Me (2023)
  7. Dune: Part 2 (2024)
  8. Thanksgiving (2023)
  9. Creep 2 (2017)
  10. Deadpool and Wolverine (2024)
  11. A Quiet Place: Day One (2024)
  12. Abigale (2024)
  13. The Bikeriders (2024)
  14. Saint Maud (2019)
  15. Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)
  16. Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar (2023)

2024 rewatches

-Fox and the Hound (1981)
-Dr. Giggles (1993)
-Total Recall (1990)
-Tombstone (1994)
-Bloody Hell (2020)

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hidden in Silence (1996 TV Movie originally airing on Lifetime Network) 6.5/10
51obEz6ySAL.jpg

Based on a true story, Kellie Martin stars as Fusia, a 17 year old Catholic maid who aids a Jewish family by taking their belongings and eventually hides 13 people while the threat draws nearer. Also has Tom Radcliffe and Joss Acklund.

Solid film with some haunting moments and Martin really shines/carries this throughout and is easily likable as a protagonist so it's very easy to root for her and believe her re: the situation and plight of her life.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rebel Ridge might be my favorite movie of the year so far. Jeremy Saulnier movies just have a gritty vibe that's so enjoyable to watch. Aaron Pierre is going to be a big star. They should already be trying to get him to replace Mahershala Ali for Blade. He's got natural coolness and charisma. And it was so fun to watch him dismantle these sorry cops. It did run too long and the middle dragged a bit. But, it had a great hook and a fantastic ending sequence.

Also, the one loose cannon cop looked kind of like Jon Moxley with a better hairline

emory-cohen-rebel-ridge.jpg

8/10

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed KAOS. Greek mythology was probably the first thing I really got into as a young reader. A lot of really fun performances in this, the actors who played the Gods were the highlights but I didn't really think there were any weak links.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I thought Misia Butler and Nabhaan Mizwan were the best parts, but seeing Cliff Curtis share scenes with Jeff Goldblum put it over the top for me.

Plus, ya know, Debi Mazar stirring up all those mid-to-late 90s indie cult comedy feels...

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'm really hoping there's a second season, even if it's not something they continue afterward.

On the flipside, what in the everloving FUUUUUUCK is up with That Dirty Black Bag? I get that it's a spaghetti western series, but holy shit is it just all over the place in tone...and they kill off one of the only decent characters within a day of meeting him. It's not even laughably bad, just infuriating, because it's been positively compared to Godless (a GOAT limited series)...by people who must not have watched a halfway decent western.