Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

I will pick Infante to the ASG...but you will blow me first (TWiB 7/5 - 7/11)

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incredible inning from the Rangers bullpen going on right now. With a 4-3 lead in the 8th: Walk, single, HBP, HBP, walk. 2 runs in and the bases loaded with no outs.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
wnyxmcneal said:
I agree with the fellow in the backwards cap

Who are you? Fuckin' Jeff Francoeur?

Our long national nightmare is over, Joey Votto won the final player vote. Nick Swisher wins in the AL.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
You'd think the guy with more homers, RBI, runs scored and a better OBP and OPS that's currently playing for some strange hybrid of a major league and a AAA team would be a better choice, but what do I know?

Judging by how this team's been, he'd probably break his ankle running on to the field during introductions.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
I've always felt bad about the Mariners' sucking because of Ichiro. What a great career, and only one playoff appearance. We should be able to see more of him.

Ichiro's also on a Barkley-level of quotableness. Almost everything the man says is golden.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's going to be awesome when the Mariners get a better trade return for half a season of Lee than the Indians did for a year and a half or the Phillies did for a full year. I still don't understand how either of those deals were the best they could get considering his salary and how ridiculously good he's been.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
"Chicks who dig home runs aren’t the ones who appeal to me. I think there’s sexiness in infield hits because they require technique. I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out." - Ichiro Suzuki

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the Mariners receive. Jesus Montero is a full time DH in the making. Maybe the Mariners can turn him into a first baseman, but that's all I see him good for.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Baseball America produced a midseason top prospects list.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9464

1. Domonic Brown, of, Phillies (Triple-A Lehigh Valley)
2. Mike Trout, of, Angels (Low Class A Cedar Rapids)
3. Desmond Jennings, of, Rays (Triple-A Durham)
4. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp, Rays (Triple-A Durham)
5. Jesus Montero, c/dh, Yankees (Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)
6. Julio Teheran, rhp, Braves (High Class A Myrtle Beach)
7. Dustin Ackley, 2b, Mariners (Double-A West Tenn)
8. Martin Perez, lhp, Rangers (Double-A Frisco)
9. Aaron Hicks, of, Twins (Low Class A Beloit)
10. Zach Britton, lhp, Orioles (Triple-A Norfolk)
11. Michael Pineda, rhp, Mariners (Triple-A Tacoma)
12. Mike Moustakas, 3b, Royals (Double-A Northwest Arkansas)
13. Eric Hosmer, 1b, Royals (High Class A Wilmington
14. Aroldis Chapman, lhp, Reds (Triple-A Louisville)
15. Brett Lawrie, 2b, Brewers (Double-A Huntsville)
16. Logan Morrison, 1b, Marlins (Triple-A New Orleans)
17. Simon Castro, rhp, Padres (Double-A San Antonio)
18. Mike Montgomery, lhp, Royals (Double-A Northwest Arkansas).
19. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3b, Indians (Double-A Akron)
20. Freddie Freeman, 1b, Braves (Triple-A Gwinnett)
21. Tyler Matzek, lhp, Rockies (Low Class A Asheville)
22. Kyle Gibson, rhp, Twins (Double-A New Britain)
23. Kyle Drabek, rhp, Blue Jays (Double-A New Hampshire)
24. Casey Kelly, rhp, Red Sox (Double-A Trenton)
25. Tanner Scheppers, rhp, Rangers (Triple-A Oklahoma City)

Prospects 26-50, in alphabetical order: Chris Carter, 1b, Athletics; Jared Cosart, rhp, Phillies; Travis d'Arnaud, c, Blue Jays; Randall Delgado, rhp, Braves; Christian Friedrich, lhp, Rockies; Dee Gordon, ss, Dodgers; Grant Green, ss, Athletics; Brett Jackson, of, Cubs; John Lamb, lhp, Royals; Jordan Lyles, rhp, Astros; Ethan Martin, rhp, Dodgers; Shelby Miller, rhp, Cardinals; Mike Minor, lhp, Braves; Wil Myers, c, Royals; Wilson Ramos, c, Twins; Austin Romine, c, Yankees; Wilin Rosario, c, Rockies; Tony Sanchez, c, Pirates; Jonathan Singleton, 1b, Phillies; Jacob Turner, rhp, Tigers; Arodys Vizcaino, rhp, Braves; Brett Wallace, 1b, Blue Jays; Zach Wheeler, rhp, Giants; Alex White, rhp, Indians; Chris Withrow, rhp, Dodgers.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Just realized that Cleveland fans get other kick in the nuts by having to to watch Lee and CC pitch on the same team. That has to be worse that last year.

If I were a Cleveland fan, I would have put my head in the oven long ago.

Bored

Boreding Hard
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
"Chicks who dig home runs aren’t the ones who appeal to me. I think there’s sexiness in infield hits because they require technique. I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out." - Ichiro Suzuki

OMG.gif

omgomgomgomg.gif

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
^HILARIOUS

It sounds like Lee to the Yankees is very close to being a done deal, Seattle is just shopping the proposal around to the other interested teams to see if they can beat it.

Jesus Montero, C
David Adams, 2B
Zack McCallister, SP

That's a good haul for Seattle. Montero and McCallister were the Yankees #1 and #5 prospects coming into the year, and Adams was one of their better if not best middle infield prospects. It'll be tough for a team like Minnesota to beat.

I'm sort of ambivalent about this. We didn't need Lee, but he certainly makes the team better. Hughes, Burnett and Vazquez all have questions about them, and Hughes will not be in the rotation down the stretch or in the playoffs, so it certainly does make sense to add another starter.

I think I'd feel happier about the trade if I were sure he'd be more than a rental, but in the short term it definitely solidifies our status as the team to beat in the AL East and the playoffs

I don't remember what Seattle traded for Lee, but what they're getting for him now is better, right?

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
STOP THE PRESSES

The deal is off. The Mariners didn't like something they saw in Adams' medicals, plus another team came hard with a counter offer.

Hoping the other team is NOT Tampa Bay

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ESPN's goofy "Cy Young Predictor" tool has Cliff Lee 9th right now. The top 8 pitchers are already in the AL East.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh. Well shit...Probably will be Tampa. I love this time of year in baseball. Trade rumors galore.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Roy, I've given my thoughts on Montero before. McAllister is a decent control pitcher but I haven't found his stuff exciting in the slightest. I think he'd get slaughtered in the AL East.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now sounds like Lee may go to Texas for a package built around Justin Smoak. The Rangers seem like a great fit as they're greatly improved having Lee take the starts that were going to Scott Feldman or Rich Harden (who's hurt anyway). Giving up too much and not being able to keep Lee would be a tough one to take, though, as they'll be seeing these players 20 times a year in the future.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The deal is official now. Seattle had to throw in $2.5 million of Lee's $4 million remaining to make the financial side work for Texas, which means Texas had to kick in better players. Still no reports on who the other players are, but there are 3 of them.

6foot9

bwah off
Reaction score
found the rumored trade details.

Rangers get-
Cliff Lee
mark Lowe
$2.5 million

Mariners get-
Justin Smoak
Blake Beavan
Josh Lueke
Matt Lawson

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well Lawson kind of sucks and Lueke is a rapist who may be a decent reliever. Beavan is probably a back of the rotation guy. That rumored Yankees deal might be better considering that the Mariners have to throw in money and another player.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with going to MLB Fan Fest? I'm thinking about going tomorrow or Monday and I'm wondering if it's worth it. It's cost 35 bucks to get in when you factor in all the Ticketmaster charges.